ATP & WTA Potential Merger

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
You create parity by earning your place, not by being handed an easier opportunity to succeed ..

But that's what has been occurring the last 15 years! The ATP accommodated Fedal in particular by changing Masters-1000 finals from BO5 to BO3! They played a few 4-5 set finals necessitating one or both to WD from the next event! Going to BO3 really helped Fedalovic over the years in acquiring just about all the major ATP events, including the YEC which blew my mind when it changed BO3! The season couldn't end on a BO5 match? No wonder Fedovic own 12 of them; Nalbandian stealing 2005 final over Roger in 5! :fearful-face: :astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
But that's what has been occurring the last 15 years! The ATP accommodated Fedal in particular by changing Masters-1000 finals from BO5 to BO3! They played a few 4-5 set finals necessitating one or both to WD from the next event! Going to BO3 really helped Fedalovic over the years in acquiring just about all the major ATP events, including the YEC which blew my mind when it changed BO3! The season couldn't end on a BO5 match? No wonder Fedovic own 12 of them; Nalbandian stealing 2005 final over Roger in 5! :fearful-face: :astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:
Totally agree, brother, and further watering it down makes it easier for nonentities to become historic champions. The achievements of the Big 3 have been facilitated partly by that decision to make things easier for them, as if they weren’t already made easier than ever by the opposition..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To be fair, it's not that Roger and Rafa asked for the MS 1000's to change to Bo3 Finals. The move was self-interested on the part of the tournament(s.) I think Hamburg was the first one to get screwed out of their 2 marquee players after the 2006 Rome final, which was a brutal 5-setter. And there was no one anywhere near that box-office, at the time. It was short-sighted, though.

As to the YEC, I don't see why there shouldn't be at least a Bo5 Final, if they're going to award 1500 points. IMO, they should go Bo5 after the round-robins.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I actually wouldn't mind if the men went to Best of 3 for the slams. It would create more upsets/parity in the men's game.
But then, what would distinguish a Major from any other tournament? And with a day of rest in between? That would make a MS1000 harder to win: less-watered field, and no rest days.

This is why I favor women playing Bo5 at Majors, too. If we want to start with QFs onward, fine. As I've said, never playing Bo5 means that women are unlikely to create the same epic matches that make the list of all-time great ones.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
But then, what would distinguish a Major from any other tournament? And with a day of rest in between? That would make a MS1000 harder to win: less-watered field, and no rest days.

This is why I favor women playing Bo5 at Majors, too. If we want to start with QFs onward, fine. As I've said, never playing Bo5 means that women are unlikely to create the same epic matches that make the list of all-time great ones.
Not to mention making such a move would throw the entire history of tennis into complete disarray. It would immediately shut down — or at least bifurcate — the very essence of GOAT talk. Future players who might win 20+ majors couldn’t possibly be compared to what the Big 3 have done playing best-of-five.