ATP & WTA Potential Merger

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I've combined posts from various threads in order to consolidate discussion of the potential merger of the ATP & the WTA -- all in our spiffy new General Tennis Discussions forum.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Steve Simon,WTA chief gives his perspective after the merger talks today.

"The WTA has been working closely with the various stakeholders and governing bodies in our sport to address the challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.As part of the process we have been in regular contact with the ATP, with a common focus on health and well-being of our players and all those in our sport,as well as issues affecting our Tours and our ability to return to tournament competition.I have long stated that we are at our best as a sport when we can work together and the recent weeks have highlighted the fact.We look forward to continuing discussions on how we can effectively work together to deliver the greatest value to our fans and to our many stakeholders."

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is actually a big talking point. Worth starting a thread of its own Margaret?
Already imagining the arm-wrestle. I guess if you want one, BB, you have to start it yourself.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

IMO, a merger of ATP and WTA is neither desirable nor feasible. However, what Tennis really needs is a Commissioner who oversees all the different bodies such as ATP, WTA and ITF. With such a commissioner, there will be a good coordination as opposed to different parties just looking for their own self interests (RG, anyone).

p.s. Besides available too if they want to hire me. :p

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
IMO, a merger of ATP and WTA is neither desirable nor feasible. However, what Tennis really needs is a Commissioner who oversees all the different bodies such as ATP, WTA and ITF. With such a commissioner, there will be a good coordination as opposed to different parties just looking for their own self interests (RG, anyone).

Old news that tennis needs a commissioner.......there are a lot of variables in combining both the ATP and WTA,there has been some opposition already from some players in the ATP,though at present Steve Simon of the WTA is sill considering all possibilities.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Old news that tennis needs a commissioner.......there are a lot of variables in combining both the ATP and WTA,there has been some opposition already from some players in the ATP,though at present Steve Simon of the WTA is sill considering all possibilities.

BTW you will be thrilled with the latest news,French Open has changed it's dates amid the coronavirus pandemic."Le Parisien" saying the request came from the ATP/WTA so it's part of the tour rescheduling that they are planning.The new date for the French Open is 27 Sept and will conclude on October 11.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

You're suggesting a commissioner that would oversee ITP/ATP/WTA? One person to oversee all the entities? Who would elect that person? ITP/ATP/WTA and the players' councils? Would they be rather a referee, or the final word? Or just one person getting paid to have an opinion? Or, rather than diffusing things and adding layers, what if, as Federer suggests, ATP and WTA merge, they have a collective player's council, thereby minimizing competing interests. At least fewer layers of bureaucracy. That way, even if you added a commissioner, it would be less diffused.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
An ATP/WTA merger would tinge on the ATP accepting equal pay
IMO, a merger of ATP and WTA is neither desirable nor feasible.

Let’s not even get started how in tournaments where they play together, such as the Majors and IW, there is still a portion of ATP players who are of the opinion the WTA should not get equal prize money.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
An ATP/WTA merger would tinge on the ATP accepting equal pay

Let’s not even get started how in tournaments where they play together, such as the Majors and IW, there is still a portion of ATP players who are of the opinion the WTA should not get equal prize money.
I'm not sure that the merger hinges on equal prize money across the board. I do think where they play together they should get equal money, and at most of those co-ed events, they do. But the main point is about about joining the players' associations, which really should have happened a long time ago. There is no other top tier sport where men and women play so closely together, (and even in tandem, as mixed doubles does still exist.) Consolidating forces could help players on both sides of the gender aisle, when you get out of the top earners.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I posted this for a different reason on the ATP forum, but go to minute 4:45 to hear Robbie Koenig say that he was a fan of more events with men and women playing together.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The merging of the ATP and WTA has been spoken about before with little success.
I have a few questions regarding the merger
Has Federer brought this up because there isn't any tennis at the present time because of the world wide pandemic?
Federer has also been quoted saying unifying the ATP and WTA would be make it easier for fans?

ATP and WTA have different ranking systems
ATP and WTA have different logo's
ATP and WTA differ in their tournament categories and also have their separate websites.
How would the above be unified? making it fair for both the ATP and WTA.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The merging of the ATP and WTA has been spoken about before with little success.
I have a few questions regarding the merger
Has Federer brought this up because there isn't any tennis at the present time because of the world wide pandemic?
Federer has also been quoted saying unifying the ATP and WTA would be make it easier for fans?

ATP and WTA have different ranking systems
ATP and WTA have different logo's
ATP and WTA differ in their tournament categories and also have their separate websites.
How would the above be unified? making it fair for both the ATP and WTA.
I don't see how the ranking systems would matter. Same with tournament categories, though they would likely become more uniform over time.

If anyone misses their logos or websites, I'm a monkey's uncle. The WTA website has always sucked. The ATP one has gone downhill over the past year+. If you're looking for an immediate and practical benefit to their combining forces, I'd say pooling their money to get one good IT team and web designer/administrator would be one. Call it the UTA, get in some 21st C. design and technology going and we'd all be happier.

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't see how the ranking systems would matter. Same with tournament categories, though they would likely become more uniform over time.

If anyone misses their logos or websites, I'm a monkey's uncle. The WTA website has always sucked. The ATP one has gone downhill over the past year+. If you're looking for an immediate and practical benefit to their combining forces, I'd say pooling their money to get one good IT team and web designer/administrator would be one. Call it the UTA, get in some 21st C. design and technology going and we'd all be happier.

I disagree regarding the current structure of ranking points,to me it would matter also there is a question of equal pay? it is okay for the Grand Slams though that is run by ITF,though different with tournaments outside Grand Slams.There already has been conjecture from players in the ATP. regarding the pay system.Also sponsors for both ATP and WTA can they really be unified.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I disagree regarding the current structure of ranking points,to me it would matter also there is a question of equal pay? it is okay for the Grand Slams though that is run by ITF,though different with tournaments outside Grand Slams.There already has been conjecture from players in the ATP. regarding the pay system.Also sponsors for both ATP and WTA can they really be unified.
I don't see why there should be a problem with ranking points...they aren't ranked together and can use separate systems. I know equal pay is the hot-button item always between men's and women's tennis. It might settle the equal pay issue on the few tournaments they play together that don't, but why should the separate tournaments be different than they are now? They offer a certain amount of prize money...the pay isn't even "equal" tournament-to-tournament in the men's game or the women's, is it? Maybe if there's a common retirement fund, that would have an equal pay-out. I don't know. But so are you saying you don't like the idea?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't see why there should be a problem with ranking points...they aren't ranked together and can use separate systems. I know equal pay is the hot-button item always between men's and women's tennis. It might settle the equal pay issue on the few tournaments they play together that don't, but why should the separate tournaments be different than they are now? They offer a certain amount of prize money...the pay isn't even "equal" tournament-to-tournament in the men's game or the women's, is it? Maybe if there's a common retirement fund, that would have an equal pay-out. I don't know. But so are you saying you don't like the idea?

I would have to see the 'whole package' before I would like the idea of any merger between the ATP and WTA.