At which majors will Roger Federer be able to make a final?

At which majors will Roger Federer be able to make a final?

• Australian Open (Djokovic's domain)

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 2014 Roland Garros (Rafa's roost)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Wimbledon (Home)

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • US Open (Murray's Wind Tunnel)

• He's done. (no more flukes ;) )

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
'Tis the season for amazing prediction threads... ;)

Roger won his last major at the 2012 Wimbledon edition.
He hasn't made a final since.

At which major(s) will Roger Federer be able to make a final, or is he done for his career?

You can choose multiple options, but please don't choose He is done and something else.

Here is a record of his major's finals appearances thus far:

Australian Open - 5 Finals (4 wins)

Roland Garros - 5 Finals (1 win)

Wimbledon Championships - 8 Finals (7 wins)

US Open - 6 Finals (5 wins)
----------------------------------------------
Total - 24 Finals (17 wins)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
To be honest probably a masters event unless things seriously get back on track but he's far too erratic not only match to be match but point to point these days. I'll just be happy with a far better year than 2013 which frankly can't be hard for him to achieve. He himself has set himself a realistic goal of 5 titles and as much as he'd surely love one of those to be a major, deep down I'm sure he's thinking it won't be and any title is a title at this stage.

Now on the other hand if he's playing well enough to make slam semis he needs to win only one more match to reach a final. I don't expect him to but I'd be ecstatic if he could even make it that far in a slam after his terrible 2013. He'd need a bad day at the office from a few of the top guys to get there at this stage.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Oz!

He ambushes Nole in the quarters then is victorious in a semi final brawl with Murray. Faces Rafa in the final and people say the result was down to fatigue, his age, match-up issues, the wind, the twins kept him awake, uncle T coaching from the sidelines, his back, mono... :snigger

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Oz!

He ambushes Nole in the quarters then is victorious in a semi final brawl with Murray. Faces Rafa in the final and people say the result was down to fatigue, his age, match-up issues, the wind, the twins kept him awake, uncle T coaching from the sidelines, his back, mono... :snigger

Don't forget Rafa's knees :s

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
PS, masterclass. I'd take out the no more flukes part in brackets and if people want to just say he's done that's fine but there was nothing flukey about how he played in 2012. In fact if we're to go down that route, many slam wins over the years could be classed as flukes for a wealth of players but best to not go there.

masterclass

Masters Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
PS, masterclass. I'd take out the no more flukes part in brackets and if people want to just say he's done that's fine but there was nothing flukey about how he played in 2012. In fact if we're to go down that route, many slam wins over the years could be classed as flukes for a wealth of players but best to not go there.

This was one for haters. It was obviously a dig at people who think one can fluke a slam :)

It's almost impossible to fluke one these days. We don't have challenge round play any more.

Is there a way to edit polls? I don't see an option.

Respectfully,
masterclass

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
masterclass said:
Front242 said:

This was one for detractors. It was obviously a dig at people who think one can fluke a slam :)

It's almost impossible to fluke one these days. We don't have challenge round play any more.

Is there a way to edit polls? I don't see an option.

Respectfully,
masterclass
A slam that Rafa isnt participating is Fed's best option. If that is fluke, so be it

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wimbledon defo..its more likely than hitler making a comeback anyway..i think.

and United states open is still a viewable blob on the screen of the federerdar.

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:

and United states open is still a viewable blob on the screen of the federerdar.

Two slam semis would be his upside this year. There are no slam finals in his future.

Cheers

TM

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It will depend on who he has to go through to get there. If a draw unravels then he could make a final anywhere assuming he holds up his end of the bargain by playing at a higher level than he did throughout 2013.

I wouldn't even rule out the French if Nadal or Djokovic are upset by another guy in the draw and Federer avoids them.

Wimbledon is his best shot at actually winning anything although I wouldn't fancy him against Murray or Nadal at this stage.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's interesting, Britbox, but I agree with all that. And I don't fancy Roger to get even a set against Rafa in a slam, but I think he could upset Nole, but only if the conditions are right, and - as you say - he raises his levels next season...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tennis Miller said:

Two slam semis would be his upside this year. There are no slam finals in his future.

Cheers

TM

so what, don't quote me telling me I am wrong when you cannot prove it, I don't care what you think, I don't have to get your permission to post messages on what i feel could happen..

its what I think he could do..thats how forums work innit. :s

and whats that guff about "there are no slam finals in his future" :huh: you cannot see into the future..so Federer could have major finals in his future, if you think he cannot do that then that's your opinion,

but don't state your opinion as fact.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Eh, if we all did that, might as well shut the forum down, brother! :snigger

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
It will depend on who he has to go through to get there. If a draw unravels then he could make a final anywhere assuming he holds up his end of the bargain by playing at a higher level than he did throughout 2013.

I wouldn't even rule out the French if Nadal or Djokovic are upset by another guy in the draw and Federer avoids them.

Wimbledon is his best shot at actually winning anything although I wouldn't fancy him against Murray or Nadal at this stage.

Yeah, I think Federer against Nadal or Djokovic at Roland Garros is a done deal at this point, and I hate saying that.

Meanwhile, he can beat anyone on grass.

Hards is interesting, because I can see him getting upset by someone other than the 3 usual suspects, but he's also got just as good a chance to cause "an upset" against them.

Of course, this is all assuming Federer is playing at a moderately decent level. Everything changes if he's playing awful (or great, actually).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think RG is out of the picture at this point. And the last 3 years at AO he has been badly outplayed and beaten by each of the other elite players and things only figure to be worse. It's possible he could still beat Murray there but he would need Djokovic or Nadal to lose, depending on which side of the draw he is on.

Wimbledon is now his best chance to get to a final and win it. The problem is he is very vulnerable there and has been for the last 4 years. He could literally lose to anyone in the draw if they serve remotely decent. But he is still plenty dangerous vs. anyone if he makes his way to the semis. The USO seems to have slowed down over the past couple years with them using a new ball. Roger needs that court to be FAST to have a decent chance otherwise it is looking more like AO for him. It is ashame what he's left on the table at the USO from 2009-2012. I consider USO the slam he has underachieved in. It'd be nice if he somehow pulls off a Pete there.

Tennis Miller

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Tennis Miller said:

Cheers

TM

so what, don't quote me telling me I am wrong when you cannot prove it, I don't care what you think, I don't have to get your permission to post messages on what i feel could happen..

its what I think he could do..thats how forums work innit. :s

and whats that guff about "there are no slam finals in his future" :huh: you cannot see into the future..so Federer could have major finals in his future, if you think he cannot do that then that's your opinion,

Uuuuuuuuummmm....what?

How is my prediction of NO slam finals different from other people's predictions that there will be some? This is an opinion poll.

Seriously, did you slip and hit your head? What in the world could have caused you to have such an overreaction to an opinion different from yours?

And coming from a guy who apparently loves Borg as much as I do, this is pretty surprising!

Cheers (?)

TM

U

uchickenvn

1972Murat said:
I'd go with Wimby and RG. Too many problem makers on slow hard courts these days,like Delpo, Bird, Murray. I think Roger can still take them on clay and grass, on a good day.

Agree. I hope he can win one more Major and his best chance is the Wimbledon 2014

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't understand the poll. Are you asking which Slams he WILL make the Final at, or which he COULD?

If the latter my answer is "any and all." Roger COULD make the final at any Slam; I'd say he's at least even odds to beat almost anyone except for the Big Three and maybe Berdych. But he's proven he can still beat Del Potro, probably can still beat Tsonga, I assume would still beat Ferrer, etc. So a favorable draw at any Slam, plus an upset or two by one of the Big Three, and Roger is in the Final.

But if the question is, which of the four Slams WILL he reach the Final in, my answer would be "probably not any." I mean, its possible at any of them, but at any particular Slam the odds are against him.

I do think he'll reach one Final in 2014. He probably won't win it, but I have a hunch he'll make it to one.