2024 Predictions and Questions (and 2023 impressions/wrap-up)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
^ bold prediction, but I have a hard time seeing it. In fact, as good as Ben is and as much as I enjoy watching him play, Novak might destroy the young lad rather clinically.
Ben may turn into present day John Isner @tented sorry Tented . Yeah, he can scare the living crap out of his opponents occasionally but afterwards weathering his "storm" he can be prone to make UFEs...If the top players CAN'T figure out how to raise their games to keep the ball in play. Novak put up numbers we have NEVER seen before.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I see that today in Ridyah, Saudi Arabia, Carlos defeated Novak 6-4 in the third set in an exhibition match. Anybody see it? Thoughts?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I see that today in Ridyah, Saudi Arabia, Carlos defeated Novak 6-4 in the third set in an exhibition match. Anybody see it? Thoughts?
Yes I watched the whole match I posted my thoughts in the ATP News, it was played at a high level, not like a exho match at all, Charly fhand was on fire, he hit a fhand down the line winner from outside the court all Novak could do was 'smile'. This young man continues to impress both on and off the court.Alcaraz will not be playing a warm up tournament for the AO 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes I watched the whole match I posted my thoughts in the ATP News, it was played at a high level, not like a exho match at all, Charly fhand was on fire, he hit a fhand down the line winner from outside the court all Novak could do was 'smile'. This young man continues to impress both on and off the court.
Wouldnt it be prudent for Rafa to play an Exho against Novak? Am I punch-drunk from to much Xmas tide or eggnog or do I have a point? any thoughts

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Wouldnt it be prudent for Rafa to play an Exho against Novak? Am I punch-drunk from to much Xmas tide or eggnog or do I have a point? any thoughts
I think you are still 'punch drunk' from Christmas :) lets wait to see who Rafa has to face in Brisbane, the draw comes out this Saturday ( my time thank goodness I dont have to get up at Midnight to watch tennis for 1 month)

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I think you are still 'punch drunk' from Christmas :) lets wait to see who Rafa has to face in Brisbane, the draw comes out this Saturday ( my time thank goodness I dont have to get up at Midnight to watch tennis for 1 month)
Playing an Exbo Rafa gets to feel Novak's ball if that makes sense. Meeting Novak in a tournament or at AO could be very similar to when Rafa returned from a long absence due to injuries, completely decimated all the other ATP players but got taken to the woodshed by Novak in the final AO19.. My thoughts are why go through that potentially occuring again and play an Exbo that ONLY you and @shawnbm may remember :).

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Playing an Exbo Rafa gets to feel Novak's ball if that makes sense. Meeting Novak in a tournament or at AO could be very similar to when Rafa returned from a long absence due to injuries, completely decimated all the other ATP players but got taken to the woodshed by Novak in the final AO19.. My thoughts are why go through that potentially occuring again and play an Exbo that ONLY you and @shawnbm may remember :).
Rafa has just arrived 1/2 hour ago in Brisbane where he has a wild card, lets wait and see his draw and his level at the Brisbane International, before the AO where he will use his protected ranking, the sales for tickets, the Brisbane International and the AO 2024 have jumped with Rafa now playing in Australia

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I can watch that '19 AO Final over and over! Not a fan of Djokovic's game, but when in "GAWD-mode," his destruction of Nadal is so entertaining! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I can watch that '19 AO Final over and over! Not a fan of Djokovic's game, but when in "GAWD-mode," his destruction of Nadal is so entertaining! ;)
Do you remember the circumstances? Rafa first big encounter against Novak after being off the tour in 5-6 months . Why did you enjoy the match so much when you know the playing field wasn't "level" at that time?

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Do you remember the circumstances? Rafa first big encounter against Novak after being off the tour in 5-6 months . Why did you enjoy the match so much when you know the playing field wasn't "level" at that time?

Oh Boo Hoo! I recall Djokovic struggling early to make the final while Nadal was getting kudos for playing well & had held serve 60+ str. times! :fearful-face:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You're hilarious with "not a fan of Djokovic's game." Seriously? You talk him up an awful lot. But the real question is: As a fan of tennis, how can you watch such a mediocre match over and over? That's about being a "hatah," I guess, as you like to say, is it not? I think we've all "hate-watched" a match, and even revisited it, if we're honest. But I'm here to say that I for one have never rewatched the 2008 French Open final when Nadal demolished Federer, because no one really wants to watch a train wreck, over and over. However, Rafa was in "God-mode" that clay season, and the highlights are worth it. Obviously, the '19 AO Final was far less of a car-crash, but worth watching over-and-over? You pretend to be such a student and historian of the game, and you swear that your allegiance-switch was about Fedal getting too much glory. If that were true, you'd have more appreciation for Nadal and his game. Instead, you're just fanboy with an agenda. Keep rewatching boring matches.

Me, I'm rewatching Alcaraz d. Djokovic on TC replay today, to figure out how Charlie might just have the bead on him for 2024, and my predictions for the year to come. (Just to bring it back around to topic.) IMO, if Alcaraz could pick off Novak in the Wimbledon final, at 20, he can do anything. 2024 could be the start of his best years. (Scary, right?)

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
2023 Biggest breakthrough: Ben Shelton

2023 Biggest surprise(s): Adrian Mannarino and Grigor Dimitrov

2023 Biggest disappointment: FAA (sorry @El Dude)

As for 2024, the young player that I will keep an eye on is 19-year old Arthur Fils. He is already in the Top 40 ranking wise and he will only get better. I just wish he fixes his serve motion or technique. I do not really like his high ball toss at all!

As for breakthrough, I will say Jannik Sinner will either reach his first slam final OR wins his maiden slam title. I mean there should be no excuses for him not to reach his 1st slam Final in 2024.

One more thing: I think Rune will reach his first slam SF in 2024.
It looks like I was correct! @tented @El Dude @Moxie @MargaretMcAleer @don_fabio @nehmeth