2023 Wimbledon F: Alcaraz vs. Djokovic

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was trying to sell @Kieran on the notion that it was about having 2 very, very good returners on court, but he wasn't buying it.

I think all of this is correct and a fair assessment. All Novak really had to do in the first set was give the kid time to self-implode. Too much nervous energy, no patience. But Alcaraz did rein himself in in the 2nd. I wonder if Novak's fairly easy draw didn't serve him ill in the final. He'd be forgiven for underestimating Carlos a bit, which I think he admitted. He didn't much or ever really need his A-game to reach the final, and he didn't need it to win the first set. Just break and protect. But when Alcaraz found his A-game, (and calmed down enough to play with some margin,) Novak really had to shake himself into a different gear. Losing that TB in the 2nd shocked us all, I think it's fair to say. Carlos knew he needed to be brave and play all-out to win. I think you're right that by the time Novak realized he'd have to do the same, it was too late.
I felt the Carlos draw helped him ways to the final, he was drawn to play big servers,hitters, to me his return game on the grass improved, which helped him in the final against Novak.

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sinner needs to get his serve in order and at least find a way to protect it or make it into a better serve that can get him some cheap point here and there. His second serve is so attackable, and I am sure makes it hard for him in some of his matches.

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I felt the Carlos draw helped him ways to the final, he was drawn to play big servers, hitters, to me his return game on the grass improved, which helped him in the final against Novak.
Who would have guessed that going through the gauntlet he did would be what he needed, or that it would leave him with anything for the final? But who would have guessed he'd be such a quick-study on grass. Not me, tbh. I definitely think it helped him to get past Rune easily, but most especially that he did against Medvedev, and that he handled his serve so well.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Please find pics of the Wimby ball here
1689635176382.png

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sinner needs to get his serve in order and at least find a way to protect it or make it into a better serve that can get him some cheap point here and there. His second serve is so attackable, and I am sure makes it hard for him in some of his matches.
Sinner's serve will be like Nadal's serve in which both players will more than likely tinker the technique throughout their careers because the serve is not a comfortable shot for either of them.

Now, obviously Nadal made up for it in other areas.

I will say this: Sinner did serve well against Djokovic. Not a high percentage but he did well enough to keep off Djokovic. Sinner's main problem was his FH during BPs.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I would also like to comment how well behaved the children of Princess Kate and Prince William sitting there for over 4 hours in the Royal Box at the mens final, also I loved their expressions when Carlos won lol!

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Who would have guessed that going through the gauntlet he did would be what he needed, or that it would leave him with anything for the final? But who would have guessed he'd be such a quick-study on grass. Not me, tbh. I definitely think it helped him to get past Rune easily, but most especially that he did against Medvedev, and that he handled his serve so well.
Also winning Queens I felt gave him confidence going into Wimbledon, he adapted well, he is a quick learner, when you consider the turn around from clay to grass is quick and with limited grass tournaments before Wimbledon

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafanoy, Sinner’s prepwork & follow through on groundies is textbook to me, very mechanically sound.

The big question to me is his overall competitive mettle.

Everyone talks abou his rivalry with Alcaraz and how he matches so well with Carlos, but IMO the other 3 buzzy competitive players for the fall are Djokovic, Medvedev & Rune and against them Sinner is a combined 0-11, whereas the younger Rune has already beaten the other top guys, a couple of times vs Novak.

I want to see Sinner notch actual wins against these rivals in the next year.
You are right, Jelenafan. Sinner needs to win against some of the top players by next year AND win some big titles, I will not excuse him at all.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, I would like to defend Jannik Sinner just a little bit. Yes, his level against Djokovic was disappointing, I thought it will be more competitive, but in a bigger picture, I knew he was not gonna beat Djokovic at Wimbledon in his maiden slam SF appearance.

For me, I needed to see him one thing from this tournament after his draw opened up: Take advantage of the open draw. And he did and that's a step to success to his career.

As for his rivals, yes, he needs to beat them, but the most important thing for Sinner is to win a big title 1st (Masters 1000).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Also, I would like to defend Jannik Sinner just a little bit. Yes, his level against Djokovic was disappointing, I thought it will be more competitive, but in a bigger picture, I knew he was not gonna beat Djokovic at Wimbledon in his maiden slam SF appearance.

For me, I needed to see him one thing from this tournament after his draw opened up: Take advantage of the open draw. And he did and that's a step to success to his career.

As for his rivals, yes, he needs to beat them, but the most important thing for Sinner is to win a big title 1st (Masters 1000).
I will be interested to see how her performs at the USO he does have points to defend, I feel at this stage HC is his better surface, agree he does need to win a bit title Masters 1000.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP, you never miss one!

We forgot to talk about Charly's bucket hat during the fortnight...I loved it!
I didnt I am not into buckets hats at all he looks like a dork lol!, he needs my advice ASAP at least my young Italian Sinner has picked up a Gucci as a sponsor, Matteo is a Boss Man :)

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didnt I am not into buckets hats at all he looks like a dork lol!, he needs my advice ASAP at least my young Italian Sinner has picked up a Gucci as a sponsor, Matteo is a Boss Man :)
You don't like a bucket hat? Why, look no further than that fashion icon...my father! And you'd better get used to it, because we could be saddled with it like this lucky charm:

150608090420-wawrinka-shorts.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Juan Carlos Ferrero on Carlos Alcaraz Wimbledon Glory ( source Europsport)

What made the achievement all more impressive that this was only Alcaraz's fourth tournament on grass.
Former world No 1 Ferrero idendtified the respective styles of Djokovic, Murray and Federer and revealed the he and Alcaraz took elements from each star heading into the tournament.
Ferrero said " I think he takes things on board very quickly and we've also seen a lot of video's of players that more very quickly here".
Ferrero also highlighted how Alcaraz's camp took inspiration from his semi final win over Medvedev, who adopts a similar style to Djokovic.
"Medvedev is on the baseline all the time and Carlos likes to use the slice to bring the opponent to the net. That was something we needed to do against Novak, so it was one of the keys to break his rhythm. In the end I think he was very brave in the way he finished the match".
"He's going to have some rest and to reset a bit and go to the USA feeling powerful and fresh again" he said.
"I think we've learnt a lot of things after the USO, so we have to do things a little bit differently here".
"He and the team know this, and I think we are ready to do things a little bit better".