27. Yulia Putintseva
28. Alison Riske
29. Anhelina Kalinina
30. Shelby Rogers
31. Kaia Kanepi
32. Sara Sorribes Tormo

b_20210712_championsgallery_JL504545-135566_757.jpg

The Tournament:

The Championships, Wimbledon, commonly known simply as Wimbledon or The Championships, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and is widely regarded as the most prestigious. It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London since 1877 and is played on outdoor grass courts, with retractable roofs over the two main courts since 2019.

Wimbledon is one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, the others being the Australian Open, the French Open, and the US Open. Wimbledon is the only major still played on grass, which is the traditional tennis playing surface.

The tournament traditionally took place over two weeks in late June and early July, starting on the last Monday in June and culminating with the Ladies' and Gentlemen's Singles Finals, scheduled for the Saturday and Sunday at the end of the second week. However, changes to the tennis calendar in 2015 have seen the event moved back by a week to begin in early July. Five major events are held each year, with additional junior and invitational competitions also taking place.

About London:

London is the capital and largest city of England and the United Kingdom, with a population of just over 9 million. It stands on the River Thames in south-east England at the head of a 50-mile (80 km) estuary down to the North Sea, and has been a major settlement for two millennia. The City of London, its ancient core and financial centre, was founded by the Romans as Londinium and retains boundaries close to its medieval ones. Since the 19th century, The name "London" has also referred to the metropolis around this core, historically split between the counties of Middlesex, Essex, Surrey, Kent, and Hertfordshire, which largely comprises Greater London, governed by the Greater London Authority. The City of Westminster, to the west of the City of London, has for centuries held the national government and parliament.

Clock_Tower_-_Palace_of_Westminster,_London_-_May_2007.jpg

Trafalgar_Square,_London_2_-_Jun_2009.jpg

Tourism Guide:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing Ash Barty, defending champion has retired, I personally feel the Championships are wide open this year, there are players in the draw that play well on grass, should be an interesting 2 weeks of tennis..

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Women's projected QFs by seeding,

Swiatek vs Pegula
Badosa vs Pliskova
Collins vs Jabeur
Sakkari vs Kontaveit

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Women's projected R16,

Swiatek - Krejcikova
Muguruza - Pegula
Badosa - Halep
Gauff - Pliskova
Collins - Raducanu
Kerber - Jabeur
Sakkari - Ostapenko
Bencic - Kontaveit

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena Williams plays unseeded Frenchwomen Harmony Tan in her first rd match
R2 Sara Sorribes Tormo or McHale
R3 potential Karolina Pliskova
R4 Gauff/Anisimova
QF Halep
SF Swiatek
F Jabeur

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Iga Swiatek No 1 seed potential path to the final.

1R J.Fett
2R D.Kovinic
3R Y.Putintseva (27)
4R B.Krejcikova (13)
QF J.Pegula (8)
SF P.Badosa (4)
F. A.Kontaveit (2)

Reactions: Vince Evert

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena has an interesting path. It is workable for sure. I hope she stays patient. I feel like when she starts losing she tries to speed the match up rather than take a minute to assess a way forward.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No 1 seed Iga Swiatek will officially start the womens draw on Tuesday
There has been a bit of conjecture about who should start, seeing Ash Barty defending champion has retired
A lot of people wanted Halep who won in 2019, though she had to pull out of a tournament due to a bad neck
Personally speaking I felt it should be the runner up from last year Karolina Pliskova.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Emma Raducanu was scheduled to practice today on Court 1....showed up and left apparently from what I am hearing, trying to get further information.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Serena Williams did not enter the doubles draw, though the mixed doubles draw is still open for her to enter.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena has an interesting path. It is workable for sure. I hope she stays patient. I feel like when she starts losing she tries to speed the match up rather than take a minute to assess a way forward.
I don't know if I agree. The first two opponents will not try from the entirety from the backcourt. I think everyone will see that Serena is a fastball hitter and would try the change of pace. They will give her drop shots and try to move her around.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Emma Raducanu was scheduled to practice today on Court 1....showed up and left apparently from what I am hearing, trying to get further information.
There is a lot of confusion with this girl.I hope she doesn't end up like Laura Robson.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There is a lot of confusion with this girl.I hope she doesn't end up like Laura Robson.
Emma's media day is Sunday 26th, at 16.30, hopefully she attends, she had withdrawn from her warm up tournaments before Wimbledon, due to a side strain, so far I have heard nothing if she intends to withdraw.

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Emma's media day is Sunday 26th, at 16.30, hopefully she attends, she had withdrawn from her warm up tournaments before Wimbledon, due to a side strain, so far I have heard nothing if she intends to withdraw.
Hopefully she is ok to play. Media seem to be stirring things up with this missed practice session. If she play & loses early the media will be brutal on her about pressure. If she wins a few matches media will be harsh on her. If she wins the tournament the media will love her & go way ott celebrating! The media are just too focused on her negatively unless she wins...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hopefully she is ok to play. Media seem to be stirring things up with this missed practice session. If she play & loses early the media will be brutal on her about pressure. If she wins a few matches media will be harsh on her. If she wins the tournament the media will love her & go way ott celebrating! The media are just too focused on her negatively unless she wins...
Especially the British Press who can be brutal, look what they did to Murray before he won Wimbledon.My concern is that she has not played a warm up tournament prior to Wimbledon due to injury, and the fact she did turned up to Court No 1 to practice and left? does cast a bit of a shadow that is all.
BTW I just read Emma in her press and she said she is ready to go....well that puts the rumors to rest.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is sad news Madison Keys, who was forced to retire at Eastbourne, due to abdominal injury has withdrawn from Wimbledon
Madison was the 19th seed. .Zhang Shuai is now 33rd seed and the lucky lose is Coco Vandeweghe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.