2022 French Open Final: Iga Swiatek vs. Coco Gauff

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Right, I can tell you rushing your shots, not moving your feet or having some semblance of a game plan is definitely the way to lose a final.
One thing I would suggest to CoCo , learn a plan B game. That's what I learned to love about Ash Barley game, she has so much variety. Coco needs to incorporate a change of pace, I'm not saying to change her BH but learn to hit the slice BH to vary the pace. Serena, Novak , Rafa and Roger has it in their arsenal just like Sampras, Martina and Johnny Mac did so brilliantly. It won't happen overnight but by the time Coco leave her teens, she will dominate with it.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
No, she admitted she was burned out. That being the case , with the competitive fires gone let’s not give her trophies Barty didn’t earn.
I don't think you are getting the true meaning of what I meant. Ash Barley grass court game is so much better than anyone that is at the top of the tour. I wasn't campaigning for her to come out of retirement. However when Jordan first retired, he was burnt out but less than two years he was back again compete for titles. Never say it's over! Well at least I don't.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think you are getting the true meaning of what I meant. Ash Barley grass court game is so much better than anyone that is at the top of the tour. I wasn't campaigning for her to come out of retirement. However when Jordan first retired, he was burnt out but less than two years he was back again compete for titles. Never say it's over! Well at least I don't.
Sorry AP I went to bed when I now just saw your post to me. I would dismiss anything that 'poster said to you' regarding Ash Barty full stop
The poster never liked Barty even when she was a the top of her game, also having a snigger against her.,at any given chance
Hypothetically speaking if Barty and Iga playing now say on grass I would favor Barty as her game was made for grass.I feel at present Iga is not a natural grass courter though she has the weapons to do so.
Even though Barty won RG her least favored surface, I think Iga has a more natural game on clay
BTW H2H between Barty and Iga before Barty retired was Barty 2-0
Another point Ash had time away from tennis came back and proved what a great player she is.,when she said she was 'burnt out'
Remember too she was a 'child prodigy' had a lot of pressure to perform from the get go.
If she wanted to make a comeback, well that is her choice, I dont think she will, if she did I think she can rise to the top.Cream always rises to the top? dosent it?

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW Coco will now rise to a new career ranking of No 13 after her final appearance.
I still maintain she needs a more 'experienced' coach' to take her to the next level
She has issues with her fhand wing, which Iga exposed throughout the match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will post the new WTA rankings on the WTA News.
Good news for Jess Pegula she has made the Top 10, after having many injuries in her career, well done Jess she is now ranked No 9

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Had to laugh Iga hopes to get tickets to Rafa's final....( I think she will manage to get tickets)

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Coco's dress reminded me of this famous sculpture by Degas:

images.jpeg

:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie Jean King was supposed to hand out the trophy's for the womens finals she was sitting in the front row, I have no idea why they chose Mats Medicated Wilander to hand the trophy's out? oh well lets see who hands out the trophy for the men

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie Jean King said on Saturday after the women's final that female players should get prime time slots when they play if women's tennis is to get a better audience,amid a scheduling controversy at the French Open.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A glimpse of 1GA inspiration (Suzanne Lenglen for those who doesn't recognize)
1654418552328.png

And 1ga disappointment - sorry I couldn't resist
1654418621059.png

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Billie Jean King said on Saturday after the women's final that female players should get prime time slots when they play if women's tennis is to get a better audience,amid a scheduling controversy at the French Open.
At the French open only or in general ?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Billie Jean King was supposed to hand out the trophy's for the womens finals she was sitting in the front row, I have no idea why they chose Mats Medicated Wilander to hand the trophy's out? oh well lets see who hands out the trophy for the men
The King, hopefully. You know who i mean :yesyes:

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Awww Coco. She can't stop crying. She feels bad because her whole family flew in for the final and she wanted to win for them. :anxious-face-with-sweat:
Just finished watching the final as per my recording. I really felt sorry for the young american. Other than the opening 4 games of the second set, she looked tense and seemed to rush in between points. Was hoping Coco would prevail in a close fought three setter, but it wasn't her day. She'll learn from this.

Credit to Iga , she's now taken a huge step and joins all the great RG champions like Graf, Seles, S. Williams and Evert. Can she follow this up with a win at the Big W ?

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Just finished watching the final as per my recording. I really felt sorry for the young american. Other than the opening 4 games of the second set, she looked tense and seemed to rush in between points. Was hoping Coco would prevail in a close fought three setter, but it wasn't her day. She'll learn from this.

Credit to Iga , she's now taken a huge step and joins all the great RG champions like Graf, Seles, S. Williams and Evert. Can she follow this up with a win at the Big W ?
Highly unlikely but not impossible. Serena is the last person to complete the channel slam in 2015. Things happen quickly on grass. If she runs up against a big hitter who is on that day, I think she'll have a harder time coming back in that match (similar to how Zheng played before her injury here).