Reactions
Who wins?

The head-to-head favors Barty, 5-2.

0662AEDE-B5DA-4613-AD10-93F1021CF477.jpeg

Reactions: AnonymousFan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Barty can handle Kerbie who was in great form (after winning Berlin and having wins against quality players in Wimby), she surely can handle one dimensional Pliskova.

Barty in two.

This time I am both voting and rooting for Barty.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Barty can handle Kerbie who was in great form (after winning Berlin and having wins against quality players in Wimby), she surely can handle one dimensional Pliskova.

Barty in two.

This time I am both voting and rooting for Barty.
I agree with this. She held her nerve when she was down a break in the 2nd today, then raised her game. I don't see Plishkova getting the better of her, even for a set. I hope not.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One of the factor's for Ash in the final will be how she returns Pliskova serve.

( After the womens singles final.....the Ladies Doubles final....well done to Elena Vesnina who has been away from the tour for 3 years,on baby leave and her partner V.Kudermetova who will play the 3rd seeds SW Hsieh/E.Mertens.)

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The bookies are giving Ash 68% chance and Pliskobot 32% chance.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
"She's created a legacy like no other in Australia.I'm exceptionally proud to be able to call her a friend and mentor,to be able to share heritage".
"Leading the way for Indigenous players".
"I hope we can pave the path for next generations coming through".

Ash Barty on her friend and mentor Evonne Goolagong Cawley.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"She's created a legacy like no other in Australia.I'm exceptionally proud to be able to call her a friend and mentor,to be able to share heritage".
"Leading the way for Indigenous players".
"I hope we can pave the path for next generations coming through".

Ash Barty on her friend and mentor Evonne Goolagong Cawley.
What is not to like about Ash Barty? Including her game. I like her for the win, and hope she does it in straights.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What is not to like about Ash Barty? Including her game. I like her for the win, and hope she does it in straights.
LOL, I haven't seen anyone here show "hatred" or dislike for Barty. What happens is that fanatical uberfans who don't think you're kissing the ass of their favorites enough go bersek. So it's best to ignore them.

As to the forementioned, Barty has an overall great versatile game, her slice BH should eat up Pliskova, plus if she opens up the court Pliskova has no response. Ash Barty's serve has great placement and tactically she's very solid. *IF* she wins tomorrow, some of the hype coming her way will be justified , because as of now I haven't put her in the company of say, Osaka, with her 4 Majors. I didn't fault Barty for the idiosyncrasies of the ranking during the COVID, but i pointed it was a very strange situation the way it panned out, and I still stand by that. She gives great interviews and it seems she's respected by alot of her peers.

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
LOL, I haven't seen anyone here show "hatred" or dislike for Barty. What happens is that fanatical uberfans who don't think you're kissing the ass of their favorites enough go bersek. So it's best to ignore them.

As to the forementioned, Barty has an overall great versatile game, her slice BH should eat up Pliskova, plus if she opens up the court Pliskova has no response. Ash Barty's serve has great placement and tactically she's very solid. *IF* she wins tomorrow, some of the hype coming her way will be justified , because as of now I haven't put her in the company of say, Osaka, with her 4 Majors. I didn't fault Barty for the idiosyncrasies of the ranking during the COVID, but i pointed it was a very strange situation the way it panned out, and I still stand by that. She gives great interviews and it seems she's respected by alot of her peers.

Sure, Osaka has 4 compared to 1 of Ash. But, Osaka's game is rather boring (one of the cookie cutter baseline power game players).

I like players like Ash and Bianca who have more variety and some finesse and at the same time a powerful serve (unlike say Aga or Pironkova).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

She does have a great game, and I think she is worthy of her hype. And her ranking. She's rather proved it. Obviously, tomorrow would seal the deal. I know there has been back-and-forth over the rankings during COVID. Folks can keep fighting about that, if they like, but to me, it was the only solution to a mad and sad situation. Some players chose not to travel, and Aussies like Barty and Kyrgios were notable in that. They come from an island nation, and the choice was also to protect others. I suppose someone will put some asterisk on the rankings and the Covid year+, but I don't know how else they were supposed to solve it.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She does have a great game, and I think she is worthy of her hype. And her ranking. She's rather proved it. Obviously, tomorrow would seal the deal. I know there has been back-and-forth over the rankings during COVID. Folks can keep fighting about that, if they like, but to me, it was the only solution to a mad and sad situation. Some players chose not to travel, and Aussies like Barty and Kyrgios were notable in that. They come from an island nation, and the choice was also to protect others. I suppose someone will put some asterisk on the rankings and the Covid year+, but I don't know how else they were supposed to solve it.
The reasons for the quirky ranking system is not in dispute. It was recognizably an imperfect solution to an impossible situation.
Again , I don't want to rehash my posts but what I said is that it was a very strange situation that someone who virtually hadn't played for an entire year was still ranked #1 when someone in that same period had won 2 Majors. Again I thought it was strange. Who is going to argue against that? It's like if a 2 headed catfish emerges from a toxic radioactive lake, I know why its happened but it's still a strange fish to me. ; ) I've said plenty of times there was no perfect solution or equitable ranking so I can't fathom why that was misconstrued as a personal attack on Barty, I even said it wasn't Barty's fault, LOL.

Anyways, I predict she's winning tomorrow at Wimbledon for the first time, so that is indeed a feather in her cap. As to whether all the hype I perceived previously was justified or not , well again that's as subjective as it gets. ; )

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh well there have been a few posters that dont like her game JF who questioned why she should be no 1 for starters of course this was due to the rankings being adjusted due to COVID.,again not Ash fault,Osaka and Halep had the chance to take over the No 1 spot when Ash decided not to play,they did not.BTW I would have stuck up for another No 1 player,if the player was in the same situation like Ash.Frankly I dont think because I live in Aussie,I am biased towards Ash at all,.I call her out if I think she is playing below par.
Also said she was the 'second coming of Evonne Goolagong to another poster which I found disgusting to say the least.I called him out for that? of course he didnt reply to my post.I just Ignore Him.Ash has said many times she is not on the same level as Evonne and her records btw.,and cannot be compared to Evonne.
Barty has a all round game....she also has a good tennis IQ....
I just ignore posters like that quite frankly....if you dont like her game dont watch .

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
@Jelenafan, don't you know that you are not supposed to post things considered disgusting by certain member of the board? :nono:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ash Barty's coach Craig Tyzzer explains,he was not sure if Barty's body would hold up after she retired from the 2nd rd of Roland Garros with a hip injury.And if she were fit enough,would her lack of matches on grass before Wimbledon hinder her ability to find her form?

Sascha Bajin,Pliskova's coach, explained how he's worked to keep Pliskova,in a positive frame of mind after her subpar results this season,but Bajin was encouraged by what he saw in her first rd at Wimbledon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh well that just answers my post about JF.....giving a like. to another poster...to my post regarding calling Ash Barty the 'second coming of Evonne Goolagong...........which I called disgusting given the context of his original post to AP just recently....I had every right to....moving on.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another factor in this match up is Pliskova's lack of movement,something that Barty can target,though I do not want her to keep slicing away,which gets too repetitive,she has to absorb the pace of Pliskova's shots and fhand
Barty is on the cusp of not only ending a 41 year drought of Australia producing a ladies singles champion in Wimbledon-Evonne Goolagong Cawley's second title in 1980- but it's also the 50 year anniversary of the Indigenous champion's first one in London.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
James Keothavong will be the chair umpire of the womens singles final