2015 Davis Cup

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The start of the 2015 Davis Cup is about a month away! Last year was a very interesting year for the Davis Cup as we watched to see if Roger Federer could finally win the Davis Cup for Switzerland. It was great drama to see him finally win it. This year should be interesting too with the usual countries such as Serbia, Czech Republic, Canada and France as maybe the top contenders. But that always changes over the course of the year as the top players don't attend or are injured.

Here's the draw for the 2015 World Group. Updated for the September 18-20 Semifinals.

2015%20Davis%20Cup%20Bracket_zpsuxouin4u.png

I've always loved the Davis Cup and the World Cup-like atmosphere it brings to the sport. And then there's one of the best trophies of any sport.

davis-cup-trophy_zpsa3648e55.jpg

And the players get a very nice replica to put on their mantle.

0b217759-d8e0-46cc-9f9f-8bfe90a647f3_zps25a3d0e5.jpg

The rest of the Davis Cup schedule is as follows:
Quarterfinals: July 17-19
Semifinals: September 18-20
Final: November 27-29

If you want to see who has won it in the past, you can check it out on the Wikipedia page, or you can take a crack at the Davis Cup Quiz.

I also wrote a Davis Cup article for my Miami Hurricanes tennis blog a while back if anyone wants to take a look. I had the audacity to compare the Davis Cup with football's World Cup.

Davis Cup vs. World Cup

The Davis Cup is one of the highlights of the tennis year and it should be very interesting again this year. I'll go out on a limb and predict the Czech Republic defeating Canada for this year's title.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
You forgot that Tomas is not going to play DC this year. Or is that decision only for the 1st round?

I have no idea who might end up in the final, it will all depend on the fact if big stars decide to play all rounds or not.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
You forgot that Tomas is not going to play DC this year. Or is that decision only for the 1st round?

I have no idea who might end up in the final, it will all depend on the fact if big stars decide to play all rounds or not.

I think it's for the first round! But I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to completely focus on that Grand Slam title since he already has two Davis Cups in his trophy case!

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Billie said:

I think it's for the first round! But I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to completely focus on that Grand Slam title since he already has two Davis Cups in his trophy case!

So Czechs have to survive AUS in the first round and then Tomas might decide to play from then on. Honestly, I hope he is not going to play DC this year and concentrate on his own career!

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Will Backderer and Stanimal play the 1st round ?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Took a quick look through the tennis news but I don't see anything about the two of them NOT playing. Wawrinka may still play but I honestly would be surprised if Federer went after the Davis Cup in the way he did last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he just dropped it all together now since he has the title and because of his advancing age.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger and the man (or the cry baby) are still pondering as to whether to play in DC. According to Swiss Tennis Federation President the chances of either one playing in (the first round of) DC is less than 25%.

But, I think they will. If not Fed, at least Stan will.

A

auto-pilot

Even with Wawrinka AND Federer, Swiss were down 2-1 versus Kazakhstan......so if one of their stars are absent I don't like their chances of beating Belgium.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Neither fed nor man will play for Swiss in the in the first round
of davis cup. It was announced today.

But, they reserve the option of coming back to DC from QF onwards, assuming Swiss manages
to win the opening round. The QF is after Wimbledon (by which time 3 slams are over) and
so their major priorities would be over.

On the other hand, if Swiss lose, they will probably do a rescue operation in the play off
to remain in the world group. That happens the week after USO (after all 4 slams are over).

I think Rog will not play DC before USO independent of whether the Swiss manage to
win or not. However, I think if Swiss win, Stan will play the QF as it is right after Wimbledon
and both Rog and Stan will play SF and F, if Swiss managed to win QF and SF (lot of ifs).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Now that both Rog and Stan have said they will not play in DC 1st round, let us look at
the Swiss vs. Belgium match. Maro Chudinelli, the #3 Swiss is ranked outside top 200
and Micael Lammer is ranked around 545. Meanwhile, Belgium has 6 players ranked inside
top 200. One of them is David Goffin who is at #20. They also have Steve Darcis who is
ranked around 120 or so. Moreover, this tie will be played in Belgium.

To put it in a nutshell, the chances of Switzerland winning the opening round is
next to Nil. They have some chances (not great) in case Goffin decides not to play as well.

Assuming Switzerland loses most probably both Stan and Rog will indulge in the rescue
operation right after USO to stay in the world group. Given that Spain is now outside
the world group they will surely work their way into the world group play offs as well.
That raises the possibility of Switzerland drawing Spain (1 in 8 chance) in world group play offs for
yet another Fedal match.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
They will have to play after USO then if they want to play in the Olympics next year, right? Players have to take part in DC in the year prior to the Olympic games in order to qualify to represent their country, I believe.:idea:

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
They will have to play after USO then if they want to play in the Olympics next year, right? Players have to take part in DC in the year prior to the Olympic games in order to qualify to represent their country, I believe.:idea:

Are the Davis Cup and Fed cup rules the same for the Olympics? I'm always hearing about Sharapova's drama with the Russian team and how they hate her because she only uses the Fdd Cup to get into the Olympics. :lolz: If that's the case then Federer has a busy summer ahead. :snicker

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
auto-pilot said:
Even with Wawrinka AND Federer, Swiss were down 2-1 versus Kazakhstan......so if one of their stars are absent I don't like their chances of beating Belgium.

Andrey Golubev can play really well at times and was ahead in every set against Nadal in his US Open 2011 first round match. If he played a bit less recklessly that day he may well have won in straight sets. Nadal acknowledged this afterwards saying he got lucky so it's no surprise then that he was a tough opponent in DC for the Swiss.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:

They are making it tougher and stricter. But, the full details of new rules is not yet out.
One basic requirement is that players (men) must make themselves available for at least
4 davis cup ties during an Olympic cycle (of 4 years). If this is the only rule, then Stan and
Fed have already qualified as they played in all 4 ties last year.

But, I vaguely remember that at least one of these four must in the two years prior
to Olympics.

Here is some moaning by dominatrix.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Kirijax said:
Billie said:

Are the Davis Cup and Fed cup rules the same for the Olympics? I'm always hearing about Sharapova's drama with the Russian team and how they hate her because she only uses the Fdd Cup to get into the Olympics. :lolz: If that's the case then Federer has a busy summer ahead. :snicker

Actually ITF changed the rules, this is what I was able to find regarding qualification for Rio games:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2012/05/olympic-qualifying-more-demanding-in-2016/35780/

Nobody hates Masha:D

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Here is more about this:

http://corporate.olympics.com.au/files/dmfile/Rio2016QualificationSystem-Tennis.pdf

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Ok I found out the official rules in place for qualifying in Olympics. You can see full details
in the link . But, the gist is that Rog and Stan need to make themselves available for just one DC tie
in 2015 or 2016 (before Olympics) to meet the qualification rules.

See the second pdf file after following the link.

ITF caved in to the protests and reduced the number from 4 to 3 in an Olympic cycle; but,
at least one must be in the two preceding years.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Ok I found out the official rules in place for qualifying in Olympics. You can see full details
in the link . But, the gist is that Rog and Stan need to make themselves available for just one DC tie

ITF caved in to the protests and reduced the number from 4 to 3 in an Olympic cycle; but,

Thanks GameSetAndMath!

So maybe Stan will play this year and Roger will play again next year? Just my uneducated guess.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kirijax said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Thanks GameSetAndMath!

So maybe Stan will play this year and Roger will play again next year? Just my uneducated guess.

I think little differently.

1. If Swiss lose their first round (99.99%) both Rog and Stan will play in the play off for
world group, as it happens in the week after USO, by which time all GS events are over.
After all Rog needs to play in one DC tie. He would certainly prefer to play in a DC tie
that happens after the grand slams as he does not have to save himself.

2 If by some miracle, Switzerland manages to win the first round, Wawrinka will play
and Roger will not play in the QF which happens in the week after Wimbledon (their
QF opponent is Japan/Canada both of which has one top 10 player and not much by
way of supporting cast). In case, they win the QF also, Roger will join Stan
for the SF (in which they are likely to face Serbia aided by Novak).

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Kirijax said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Thanks GameSetAndMath!

I think little differently.

1. If Swiss lose their first round (99.99%) both Rog and Stan will play in the play off for
world group, as it happens in the week after USO, by which time all GS events are over.
After all Rog needs to play in one DC tie. He would certainly prefer to play in a DC tie
that happens after the grand slams as he does not have to save himself.

2 If by some miracle, Switzerland manages to win the first round, Wawrinka will play
and Roger will not play in the QF which happens in the week after Wimbledon (their
QF opponent is Japan/Canada both of which has one top 10 player and not much by
way of supporting cast). In case, they win the QF also, Roger will join Stan
for the SF (in which they are likely to face Serbia aided by Novak).

You mean Roger doesn't save himself for the WTF? :p