2015-2016 NBA Playoffs

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Still waiting to find out what the hell that call should have been. At least an offensive foul. It'd have been pretty demoralizing for OKC to lose that one. The entire Spurs team aside from Aldridge was dreadful. The shot selection was especially bad, and it may be time for them to swallow their pride and use Duncan sparingly. Everyone gets old and it's a tough decision to make but he is done. As it stands I think OKC has more than 50% chance to win the series now.

On NBA-TV they just acknowledged that Ginobili was first to make contact. Everyone will be trashing Waiters tonight and tomorrow, and while I do acknowledge that Waiters is not the brightest bulb out there, Ginobili fully deserved that. His whole career he has done that in-your-face junk on inbounds plays. He once annoyed JR so much when JR played for Denver that JR threw the ball off his chest. Ginobili has been a very valuable player for the Spurs but at the end of the day he is a vintage Spurs queer who whines and plays a corny style.

I am still puzzled to this day how Nalbandian could be so tough in his demeanor and attitude and then Ginobili could be such a fruitcake.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, props to JR for that incredible game-winning three against Atlanta. The Hawks had all the momentum and they were up 87-88. The shot JR hit coming off the screen was incredibly difficult. It was a little bit lucky but impressive nonetheless. He also had a great save off of LeBron's missed jumper at 92-88 to set up LeBron's big And 1.

Tomorrow you will hear very little about that. Instead it will be about how Kevin Love is incredible for making 2 of 9 open jumpers.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
On NBA-TV they just acknowledged that Ginobili was first to make contact. Everyone will be trashing Waiters tonight and tomorrow, and while I do acknowledge that Waiters is not the brightest bulb out there, Ginobili fully deserved that. His whole career he has done that in-your-face junk on inbounds plays. He once annoyed JR so much when JR played for Denver that JR threw the ball off his chest. Ginobili has been a very valuable player for the Spurs but at the end of the day he is a vintage Spurs queer who whines and plays a corny style.

I am still puzzled to this day how Nalbandian could be so tough in his demeanor and attitude and then Ginobili could be such a fruitcake.

Ginobli did not make any contact. However, I did notice on the replay that his foot may have been on the out of bounds line before Waiters elbowed him in the chest, not sure if that's a violation either. I'm thinking at the very least that should be delay of game which would have been a warning. Clearly the defender can't make contact with the player in-bounding or the ball itself.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ginobli did not make any contact. However, I did notice on the replay that his foot may have been on the out of bounds line before Waiters elbowed him in the chest, not sure if that's a violation either. I'm thinking at the very least that should be delay of game which would have been a warning. Clearly the defender can't make contact with the player in-bounding or the ball itself.

He never should be allowed that close. You can have your hands up and contest the pass without attempting to molest the inbounder. Ginobili - being the Spurs queer that he is - does not understand the difference.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Good call there. But seriously, here are some thoughts on the game:

1) Durant's move past Danny Green in the last minute was big-time. He caught the pass and did not hesitate. Green is most effective when his man catches and holds the ball and then he can get into the guy's chest. Durant caught and made a quick burst to get around him for the floater. That was one hell of a play.

2) Ibaka's foul on Aldridge was completely stupid. Coaches do not teach how to do proper shot contests and Ibaka had a brain freeze moment.

3) Everyone will be talking about the Waiters-Ginobili moment. It is hard for me to pick a side there. On the one hand, Ginobili is a complete queer who was playing his normal gay ass defense with his hands in Waiters face not giving him any space, but on the other hand, Waiters is an idiot and the inbounds play Donovan set up was very poor. Why in the world would you ever have Waiters inbound in that situation? He is probably the worst guard on the team for that purpose.

4) As a team, the Spurs are a bunch of effeminate whiners. I thoroughly detest that organization. I hope OKC wins this series decisively.

Can't blame my prediction after what transpired in game one. I still think OKC should be ashamed, especially in light of game 2, where they showed what can happen when they actually show up to compete and put an effort on defense.

I thought Durant was very efficient and had his best game of the playoffs, with the exception of some alarming turnovers. I actually don't think he's played that well by his standards this season and his 3 point shot has been off, so I was happy to see he didn't force anything, only took two 3's, and just smartly played his way around the defense. That bucket you referred to was huge, and regardless of who's playing better between him and Westbrook (it's mainly been Russ this year), I trust Durant more to close. One key thing about Durant last night is he was making his move right off the catch a lot of the times and receiving the ball in rhythm.

Ibaka's foul drove me mad, but it's typical OKC in late game situations. They find ways to mess up wins on both ends of the floor, and they almost succeeded. They were up by 4 and the two things you can't possibly do is foul on a 3 point attempt and then turn the ball over. They did both. It's infuriating. They almost screwed it up exactly like they did in the Golden State game a couple of months ago.

The ref missed about 10 calls on that last play. In addition to the two moments you mentioned (and I admit the Waiters elbow is the most flagrant no-call), there was Kawhi pulling Westbrook's jersey as he attempted to get the ball inbounded to him, and Green clearly fouling Durant when he went up to catch Waiters' pass. And yet, the Spurs ended up with a far better situation from those no calls than they would have been had an offensive foul been called. A 3 on 1 fast break that they should have converted, but Steven Adams put on a super human effort on that play.

Waiters in-bounding was baffling call and it's not the first time he messes up in that situation (see Chris Paul stealing the ball off the in bound earlier in the season and putting the Clippers up by one before Durant hit the game winner). Waiters has actually been garbage since joining OKC, but he's had a solid series against Dallas and was good defensively last night. He's an underrated on the ball defender but a very overrated offensive player. Hit a big 3 though, to his credit.

Last edited:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Post game, the refs said it would have been an offensive foul. But honestly, the Spurs found themselves in a better situation due to the no-call.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Debatable. Even though it was a fast break it was to a 5 foot tall scrub named Patty. They could do that ten times over and he wouldn't be getting a layup. I think all things considered they'd prefer a set play, plenty of time to get it to Aldridge or at the very least Leonard (who did have a horrible game it must be said).

But it's not like that call cost them the game, this isn't a BS foul called with no time left and a team down 1. The Thunder were ahead pretty much the whole game and they deserved the win. And frankly if they can't beat SA on the road on a night like that they would've been toast. Aldridge was a one man team.

I will be interested to see if the Spurs make adjustments. Duncan was the worst player on the floor the entire game, a complete liability on offense, defense, and even rebounding. Pops might have to swallow his pride and do the seemingly unthinkable.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^ Debatable. Even though it was a fast break it was to a 5 foot tall scrub named Patty. They could do that ten times over and he wouldn't be getting a layup. I think all things considered they'd prefer a set play, plenty of time to get it to Aldridge or at the very least Leonard (who did have a horrible game it must be said).

But it's not like that call cost them the game, this isn't a BS foul called with no time left and a team down 1. The Thunder were ahead pretty much the whole game and they deserved the win. And frankly if they can't beat SA on the road on a night like that they would've been toast. Aldridge was a one man team.

I will be interested to see if the Spurs make adjustments. Duncan was the worst player on the floor the entire game, a complete liability on offense, defense, and even rebounding. Pops might have to swallow his pride and do the seemingly unthinkable.

It's true re: Duncan, though I'd be surprised if Pop doesn't stick with him. I can't say I blame him and I wouldn't be shocked if Duncan has a good performance in one of the next two games, but it's true he looked really old all year long. It doesn't help when he's up against much younger and athletic players as OKC have an extremely underrated frontline that I think shapes their new identity in Ibaka, Adams and Kanter. The latter two are rebounding machines while Ibaka and Adams are just too physically overwhelming for Duncan at this point.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's true re: Duncan, though I'd be surprised if Pop doesn't stick with him. I can't say I blame him and I wouldn't be shocked if Duncan has a good performance in one of the next two games, but it's true he looked really old all year long. It doesn't help when he's up against much younger and athletic players as OKC have an extremely underrated frontline that I think shapes their new identity in Ibaka, Adams and Kanter. The latter two are rebounding machines while Ibaka and Adams are just too physically overwhelming for Duncan at this point.

I'd be surprised too if Pops doesn't stick with him. Some things you just don't do when it comes to legends, even if it might hurt the team to have them out there. And I also agree that it is really the matchup that makes Duncan more of a liability than asset in this series. OKC's bigs are too strong and athletic for the old man but at the same time they are problematic for the whole Spurs team. I just think they might be better going with West, he's still a bruiser.

Last edited:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is very important for OKC to win both at home. They will have a hard time winning Game 5 at San Antonio whether it is 3-1 or 2-2, so it would be better that they have an opportunity to close out in Game 6.

Durant and Westbrook need to be on-point in Game 3 and set the tone.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
They did a superb job last night. Props to them for going into AA arena and getting it done. Too bad ATL can't be as competitive w/ the Cavs. That series looks like another sweep.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Durant really came alive tonight in the second half. It was nice to see Randy Foye get some time. I think he should play more. And David West cost the Spurs.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That floater down the left baseline that Durant hit near the end of the 4th quarter was nasty. Deft touch on that.

If I was Donovan, I'd go with a line-up of Westbrook-Durant-Foye-Westbrook-Waiters-Ibaka. San Antonio would have no chance of guarding that line-up and it would ease the burden on Westbrook and Durant for having to get open through aggressive ball denials. I also think that Steven Adams, Kanter, and Collison are useless. So I have no problem with them not being on the floor. Guarding San Antonio would be easier with this small line-up, especially if you are going to hedge, and the lack of height at the 4 spot would not be much of a problem because West and Aldridge play far away from the basket anyway.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Amusing how we can see everything completely different. I suppose I should expect it by now.

Aside from Durant being Durant, the OKC bigs are what's keeping the Thunder in this series and what might end up winning it for them if they do advance. They are exposing the Spurs one weakness, the only physical big man on the Spurs is David West, 6'9 at most and about 50 years old. Adams and Kanter are absolutely abusing them on the glass and the former is scoring a lot more in the paint than usual. So going small against SA would not be wise, they aren't really beating the Spurs with athleticism.

As it stands I still have a feeling OKC wins this series and a big part is the fact the SA bigs simply can't handle the physical bruisers on OKC and that's not going to change. Also I feel like OKC may have more of a chip on their shoulders than SA and it's understandable. I think OKC definitely wins game 6 and they have a chance at both game 5 and game 7 if it gets there.

Reactions: brokenshoelace

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That floater down the left baseline that Durant hit near the end of the 4th quarter was nasty. Deft touch on that.

If I was Donovan, I'd go with a line-up of Westbrook-Durant-Foye-Westbrook-Waiters-Ibaka. San Antonio would have no chance of guarding that line-up and it would ease the burden on Westbrook and Durant for having to get open through aggressive ball denials. I also think that Steven Adams, Kanter, and Collison are useless. So I have no problem with them not being on the floor. Guarding San Antonio would be easier with this small line-up, especially if you are going to hedge, and the lack of height at the 4 spot would not be much of a problem because West and Aldridge play far away from the basket anyway.

Whoa, what on earth did I just read?

I understand you don't watch every OKC game Cali, and the regular season is insanely long with plenty of meaningless games, but did you seriously just say Steven Adams and Kanter are useless? You know, the two guys actually killing the Spurs on the boards and being physical inside? A small ball line-up against the Spurs isn't a good idea considering OKC are troubling them when their bigs dominating. Kanter and Adams are legit the two best rebounders on the floor on either team, and you want them out? Think about how many times they pick up a bad shot by Westbrook/Durant for an easy put back or at least, a second possession.

Aldrdige has not been playing far away from the basket that much. His offense, especially in the first two games has mainly been post ups. Also, I hate to break it to you but Randy Foye has been garbage since joining OKC, although I must admit he did contribute last night and I'd rather see him over Cameron Payne for the purposes of these playoffs since the latter is clearly still too inexperienced.

People need to understand that, for better or worse, having a great front-line is part of OKC's new identity, as opposed to the days of having Reggie Jackson or James Harden where they could rely on a third ball handler/playmaker. Their wings have been awful this year and are all big liabilities in some ways. I'm actually very pleasantly surprised with the way Waiters is playing and goes to show you how good this team can be if they had a good two-way shooting guard (as opposed to Andre Roberson who completely kills their spacing on offense). I hope he can keep it up since he's been a major disappointing since being traded to OKC last year.

Couldn't disagree with the above post more. It's amazing how bias towards a certain brand of basketball/tennis/whatever can sway somebody's perception so much.

Last edited:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'd also add that I find it amazing how anyone can seriously watch this series and not understand how important Adams is offensively. The Westbrook/Adams pick and roll is giving the Spurs all kinds of trouble because Adams has gotten really good in terms of just aggressively rolling to the basket, and the Spurs can't afford to ignore him and doubling Westbrook on the switch. This in turn allows guys to get open in the corner, or someone to make a weakside backdoor cut (see the alleyoop from Durant to Westbrook last night for evidence).

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Another exciting game in Miami-Raps. Good to see Wade playing so well, still a tremendous competitor and he's turning back the clock a bit