2015-16 NBA Regular Season

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Magic is better than Kobe for me as well, but just because of his versatility to play any position on that team, which he did from time to time. Magic was more of a playmaker while Kobe was better scorer. I like them both and they are both legendary figures in Lakers history and NBA as well.

I didn't know that Kevin Durant is a huge Kobe fan, I found his comments interesting:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...tment-retiring-kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
kskate2 said:

There was a question about this in the mail bag John Wirthiem today. Kobe and Tiger etc are struggling terribly after being at the top once upon a time. In tennis, it is very rare to find someone who has gone to such abysmal position after being at the top. Usually, they retire much before they find the nadir.

Why do the idiotic press folks keep asking Fed when he wants to retire?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I guess they need something to report on so why not continually ask the same silly questions.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Kobe Bryant has announced he is retiring at the end of the year. So how good was Kobe Bryant and where does he fit in among the NBA All-time greats?

I'd say bottom half of the top 10 on the all-time list.

You know it's funny, I've always found that if Michael Jordan hadn't existed, and Kobe's career went exactly the way it panned out, everyone would have him in their top 3 players of all time, or top 5 at worst. He'd be far and away the greatest shooting guard ever and the things he'd done would have been near revolutionary. As it stands however, he's the guy who does most things almost as good as Michael Jordan, but not quite. They're so similar that it's a double edged sword. On one hand, Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan since Jordan, which helps his popularity, but he's not quite Jordan, which somehow hurts his legacy. I mean, if people were to pick your all-time starting 5, nobody would have Bryant on the team, which is staggering given everything he's achieved, simply because the other all-time great who played his position is untouchable.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
brokenshoelace said:
britbox wrote:
Kobe Bryant has announced he is retiring at the end of the year. So how good was Kobe Bryant and where does he fit in among the NBA All-time greats?
I’d say bottom half of the top 10 on the all-time list. You know it’s funny, I’ve always found that if Michael Jordan hadn’t existed, and Kobe’s career went exactly the way it panned out, everyone would have him in their top 3 players of all time, or top 5 at worst. He’d be far and away the greatest shooting guard ever and the things he’d done would have been near revolutionary. As it stands however, he’s the guy who does most things almost as good as Michael Jordan, but not quite. They’re so similar that it’s a double edged sword. On one hand, Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan since Jordan, which helps his popularity, but he’s not quite Jordan, which somehow hurts his legacy. I mean, if people were to pick your all-time starting 5, nobody would have Bryant on the team, which is staggering given everything he’s achieved, simply because the other all-time great who played his position is untouchable.

Who's your Top 10?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
@britbox

1- Michael Jordan
2- Magic Johnson
3- Bill Russell (hard for me to rank players I didn't watch from that era but it's tough to argue with 11 championships)
4- Kareem Abdul Jabbar
5- Larry Bird
6- Oscar Robertson (again, didn't get to see him but it's hard to argue with his individual numbers)
7- Wilt Chamberlain (ditto)
8- Shaquille O'Neal
9- Tim Duncan
10- Kobe Bryant/Lebron James

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Darn... Raps got really close to beating the GSW today. Close ain't enough though...

Nope. It's not. Celts had a really good chance last night, but let it get to OT and that's all she wrote. But the lowly Bucks take down the champs and end the Warriors 24-0 streak. :clap

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Bucks out shot them from the 3pt line. Both teams were performing a back-to-back but the Bucks just shot better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I was at the game! Very exciting to say the least. The Bucks moved the ball better than normal and were on fire from the three point line. It was a game of runs, Bucks would lead by ten and GS would come back. Just ended up being a case where the Bucks made the last big run of the game. Needless to say the Warriors looked like a team that played double overtime the night before. I was hoping it might spring the Bucks onto better things but they followed it up with a lopsided loss to the lowly Lakers. The win vs Golden State has been the only bright spot in a very disappointing season so far.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'd say yesterday shows that 100 pound ladies in leather pants are not meant to be bowled over by a locomotive.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14392300/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-bowls-ellie-harvey-wife-golfer-jason-day-stands

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
^^^ I don't understand why they have regular folks sit so close to the court.  It's like they tempt the fate.   I would have died if I saw James falling in my direction. :wacko:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
FYI,

Now that football is over on Saturday. ABC is starting a new NBA time slot on Sat. nights. They will feature one game during this time. It starts this Sat, with the Cavs hosting the Bulls at 8:30pm EST.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
But look at the rest of the East. What is it saying that they are leading that pack of wannabees. Anyway, I'm sure the GSW and Spur beatdown this week didn't help matters.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
It's interesting how Cavs GM spent majority of his presser trying to convince folks that Lebron has no pull in decision-making. Hard to believe they didn't float this decision past him before announcing??:rolleyes: