2014 Rogers Cup Final: Federer v. Tsonga

Who wins this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Jo Wil can hold his serve, his nerve, and his form, he might get it done in 3. In the first, he has to serve big, and pressure Roger's serve, and get to a TB, at least. Even if he loses in a TB, he's still in. If he lets Roger in his serve too early, I think he's cooked.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Jo...

Roger is at the business end of things, and neither Ralf nor Nole are on the other side of the net. He should be confident. I picked him in two.

Would be very happy to be proven wrong and watch Jo hit him off the court. :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roger didn't get where he is by getting to the business end of a tournament and losing to the likes of JWT. But I like this new Tsonga, and I hope he pulls it off.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
JowillieTs Will win this if he can hold his serve . It would be his biggest accomplishment in years, knocking off 3 of the big 4 . :clap

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Hey, look at me, I'm Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and I haven't taken a top 10 win all year, but I'm just going to turn up and make Novak Djokovic look like a clown, and then I'm going to tell Andy Murray and Grigor Dimitrov where to go too.

It beggars belief that Jo is in this final, but I would absolutely love to see him clinch this title. Beat no top tenners all year and then beat three of the "big four" to win a Masters 1000? It doesn't get more "Tsonga" than that.

I love both these guys but I want to see Jo-Willy write the fitting conclusion to this week of his. Go get 'em Jo.

Voted Tsonga in three.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is J-W going Wawrinka on us?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed will win this. But, it won't be easy by any means. Definitely a three setter.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Hey, look at me, I'm Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and I haven't taken a top 10 win all year, but I'm just going to turn up and make Novak Djokovic look like a clown, and then I'm going to tell Andy Murray and Grigor Dimitrov where to go too.

It beggars belief that Jo is in this final, but I would absolutely love to see him clinch this title. Beat no top tenners all year and then beat three of the "big four" to win a Masters 1000? It doesn't get more "Tsonga" than that.

I love both these guys but I want to see Jo-Willy write the fitting conclusion to this week of his. Go get 'em Jo.

Voted Tsonga in three.

I think Djokovic made himself look like a clown to be honest as well as Tsonga played. Still very glad to see him back playing well though.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsonga is one of those guys where I wonder how Roger is only 11-4 vs him and has lost two big matches at slams. It is a terrible matchup for Tsonga and Roger is itching to show he can still play having done nothing for 2 years now. He messed up the MC final real bad so hopefully no more mess ups.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Agreed, Front, that wasn't the "real" Djokovic and it wasn't the "top four" spec Murray either when it came to the big points, but those are still two very good wins for Jo on back to back days, not to mention brushing Mr Grigor aside the day after. Very good week from JWT. And I don't think anyone is complaining - Jo plays great, entertaining tennis when he's in the mood and he's a very lovable personality too.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Agreed, Front, that wasn't the "real" Djokovic and it wasn't the "top four" spec Murray either when it came to the big points, but those are still two very good wins for Jo on back to back days, not to mention brushing Mr Grigor aside the day after. Very good week from JWT. And I don't think anyone is complaining - Jo plays great, entertaining tennis when he's in the mood and he's a very lovable personality too.

Yeah, neither played near potential but Djokovic was obviously far worse as the scoreline would indicate. Murray was only a single break ahead in set 3 so it's not as bad as you think. 3-0 only looks good on paper. That said, I thought it was well and truly game over once I saw that lead in set 3 and predicted a 6-2 or 6-3 set to Murray.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I've missed the entertaining Tsonga playing well for years. He's been on a pretty huge downward spiral. Glad to see him playing well again and hope he keeps it up. Definitely looks leaner and fitter again.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
If Tsonga manages to win he'll knock Del Potro down a spot and take the number 10 position. Currently back to number 13 and with the erratic Gulbis and constantly injured Nishikori ahead of him it's probably only a matter of time before he gets back to the top 10 regardless of result here. Hope he continues playing well the rest of the year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
If Tsonga manages to win he'll knock Del Potro down a spot and take the number 10 position. Currently back to number 13 and with the erratic Gulbis and constantly injured Nishikori ahead of him it's probably only a matter of time before he gets back to the top 10 regardless of result here. Hope he continues playing well the rest of the year.

What is important for Tsonga is to get into top 12 before the USO starts. That would
make sure that he does not face any of the top 4 in R16. Moreover, that is doable.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yup, definitely needs to try and ensure that.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
I am so torn choosing this pick, I picked Jo-Willy in 3 but I want to see Roger win #80

I will be happy either way.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer is the much better player and I say he wins in two, can't see JW having the Gaul to make this interesting...

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Tsorry, but I jutst can't tsee Songa beating Phederer here.Tsleep well, Phed phans