2013 Davis Cup World Group semifinals and play-offs

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
Argentina at Czech Republic (indoor hard) & Canada at Serbia (indoor clay)

I'd love Argentina to win the DC but it's hard for them to make the final. I'm expecting Stepanek and Berdych to win the SF already before Sunday's final, Argentina's lineup doesn't look too convincing given it's an indoor HC. Stepanek already beat Monaco in straights.

Serbia will have two sure points from Nole's singles rubbers. Tipsy hasn't been too good recently, maybe Raonic and Pospisil could get two points against him, even though I don't know much about Vasek's clay game. Playing also in doubles may be too much for Vasek. Canada winning three rubbers would be a small miracle.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
borna coric age 16, took 6 games off murray..

he looks, from the clips I saw like he might be a future world no 1 rank player,

really soft hands on a volley and good court speeed and already a stinging forehand (for a 16yr old anyway)

born nov 14th 1996..current world rank 500+..world no1 rank before 20th burfdayy ??.

N

NADAL2005RG

Murray has already lost twice to Raonic. I wonder if Djokovic will also have trouble with Raonic, or if Djokovic will run over Raonic like Nadal always does.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
^ yup. but might it also be a "four hour 11 minutes match while my next opponent cruised in straight sets, i'm gonna be dead on Sunday" type of win?

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
borna coric age 16, took 6 games off murray..

he looks, from the clips I saw like he might be a future world no 1 rank player,

really soft hands on a volley and good court speeed and already a stinging forehand (for a 16yr old anyway)

born nov 14th 1996..current world rank 500+..world no1 rank before 20th burfdayy ??.

To be honest I really wish Andy wasn't playing. He committed to Davis Cup months ago and I don't think he wanted to pull out. He's struggling with his back again and playing on a surface that is bad for his back and his knee. He had better not be playing doubles tomorrow.

I watched the match today. Coric does seem very talented. I don't think Andy would have wanted to try and embarrass the boy. I know he has a British coach and spends quite a bit of time training in London. Playing Andy was a good experience for him and Andy did seem impressed.

BTW it was really good to see both Nadal and Djokovic playing Davis Cup so soon after the US Open final.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^I noticed some stuff about his back..his brother will have to step in for the doubles

this new bloke andy played from Croatia is going places. I cant wait for him to be on tv and up the rank charts, prob 2 years at least..i can see a new player bursting through a stagnating mens scene.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
^^I noticed some stuff about his back..his brother will have to step in for the doubles

this new bloke andy played from Croatia is going places. I cant wait for him to be on tv and up the rank charts, prob 2 years at least..i can see a new player bursting through a stagnating mens scene.

Jamie isn't in the squad this time. I hope it's C Fleming and J Marray but I've a horrible feeling that Andy will play.

I did hear that Coric and his dad were very eager to get feedback from Andy. They were asking the British press and Leon Smith to speak to Andy to see what he thought. I think that is a good sign. If he keeps improving he should do well. I'd give him 3-4 years.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for the heads-up, Iona and JLLB. I'm looking forward to checking out the new kid.

Gotta feel for Argentina. They don't have their big guns, and Nalbandian, who wants to play for it and win it so much, is unlikely to get his chance this year. Serbia should take Canada, too. Does Djokovic get another "Davis Cup Bump" from this run? :cool:

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Thanks for the heads-up, Iona and JLLB. I'm looking forward to checking out the new kid.

Gotta feel for Argentina. They don't have their big guns, and Nalbandian, who wants to play for it and win it so much, is unlikely to get his chance this year. Serbia should take Canada, too. Does Djokovic get another "Davis Cup Bump" from this run? :cool:

You read my optimistic Novak fan mind! I hope so. He and Nadal both seem to really take playing for country to heart unlike Fed and Andy. Not that those guys don't care, but it doesn't seem to be a priority.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Moxie629 said:

You read my optimistic Novak fan mind! I hope so. He and Nadal both seem to really take playing for country to heart unlike Fed and Andy. Not that those guys don't care, but it doesn't seem to be a priority.

In fairness to Roger and Andy, their countries don't have the same potential to actually win DC, so the motivation would be rather less.

It's nothing I'm hoping for, believe me, but if Serbia goes to the final of DC, (which looks likely,) and wins, (very possible,) Novak could be starting 2014 with renewed vigor and confidence. The 2010 DC win was the biggest jump-start to his amazing 2011 season, if you ask me. He's an emotional player, and relies a lot on confidence. Winning DC could set him off on another tear. (At least through the AO.) At least the YEC comes first, and so he might be saving himself for DC.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Riotbeard said:
Moxie629 said:

In fairness to Roger and Andy, their countries don't have the same potential to actually win DC, so the motivation would be rather less.

It's nothing I'm hoping for, believe me, but if Serbia goes to the final of DC, (which looks likely,) and wins, (very possible,) Novak could be starting 2014 with renewed vigor and confidence. The 2010 DC win was the biggest jump-start to his amazing 2011 season, if you ask me. He's an emotional player, and relies a lot on confidence. Winning DC could set him off on another tear. (At least through the AO.) At least the YEC comes first, and so he might be saving himself for DC.

Moxie, that what I thought about Nadal in 2011. In that year, Nadal lost to Djokovic in six finals. So, I thought winning the Davis Cup in 2011 would give Nadal a confidence boost for the 2012 season.:blush:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Poor Argies : no KingDavid, no Delpony...hard for them to win this tie even if Leo played a good march vs Birdie yesterday, he finally lost
I guess DC's final will be Nole and C° vs Berdie and C° ???

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought Nalbandian hoped to be back for this tie, isabelle? When is he coming back now then? Any updates from his camp? Having just had his first child obviously slowed the comeback anyway even if he's recovering well after the surgeries I'd imagine.

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com
Actually good for Canada that Milos had such a long match. He won't beat Nole anyway, now Vasek, after singles and doubles rubbers, won't have to play against so fresh Tipsy.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am happy for Nestor and pops.

interestingly enough Nestor is Serbian born.

rubydo

Reactions
Will be an early wake up call(being on the westcoast)l to see Milos vs Novak, but I will try and do it. Go Canada Go!