Rankings (WTA)

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena can use some help on this matter sure like Kerber not playing, Kerber bombing early, Serena defends her title. If Kerber doesn't play, and Serena keeps some/most of her points or defends, then she is assured the #1 ranking until after the US Open barely.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know, there seems to be some confusion about the record of consecutive #1 weeks.

Wikipedia says
Serena currenty has 183 consecutive weeks and Steffi 186. If so, on AUg 15th Serens will reach 184. If she can reach QF at Cincy, on Aug 22nd, she will reach 185. When USO starts on AUg. 29th she will reach 186. As they do not recalculate the rankings in the middle of grand slams, she will be #1 on Sep. 5th and that will be the 187th week thus surpassing Steffi. So, it looks like if Serena can enter USO as #1 seed, she will beat the record even if she loses the USO in 1st round.

But, this does not tally with the graphic shown on WTA page few months ago. According to that She needs to be ranked #1 till Sep. 19th to tie and till Sep. 26th to overtake Steffi.

I don't know which one is correct. Can someone check and post the correct scenario.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I looked at the WTA Media guide and as of November 9, 2015 she was at 143 weeks, so this coming week she is at 183. She has to last until September 12th to get 187. The WTA seems to start it that Monday which November 9th of last year was someone updated it early it seems on Wiki.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I looked at the WTA Media guide and as of November 9, 2015 she was at 143 weeks, so this coming week she is at 183. She has to last until September 12th to get 187.

The graphic is wrong as it says she needs to be there on September 19th just to break the record.
The wiki is also wrong as someone greedily already jumped the gun. So both are wrong.

What you are saying is correct and it matches with my explicit counting using actual calendar.
In a nut shell, assuming Serena heads into USO as a #1 seed, she is guaranteed to tie Steffi's record even if she loses in the first round at USO (as they don't change the ranking of players in the middles of USO). If Serena also comes out of USO as #1, then she breaks the record.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So she could still botch this if she leaves the US Open without the ranking, she could use a lot of help where the ranking is concerned. So far, the other ladies have been happy to oblige. Let's hope the trend continues. I mean as of late Kerber has been coming up short in the matches and things that matter, so let's keep that trend going.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kerber defends 3rd round points and Serena SF points, so Kerber and Serena for that matter can pick up a huge amount of points at the Open. It is all a matter of who makes it the farthest really. Hopefully, the draw gods are a bit kinder to her than they have been as of late and Kerber gets a tough out for the Open.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, if Serena comes out of Cincy keeping #1 alive (a high chance) she is already guaranteed of at least tieing the record no matter what happens at USO. Since she will be able to tie, it won't be a huge disappointment if she cannot break.

But, as you say help may be coming her way also. It is possible for Serena to retain #1 even after USO and even without winning USO as long as Kerbie sucks there.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I am glad Serena came to her senses. She should rest and prepare for USO. If she played Cincy and got furthered injured, she won't forgive herself.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
hopefully these girls will not throw matches jut to make Kerber no.1...Petrova did it one time to make way for Momo..

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I dont think Serena minds losing ranking to her friend Kerber.....winning no.23 is more important.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena cares or she wouldn't have tried playing Cincy in the first place. At least number 1 is going to a slam winner possibly even if it is Kerber with her boring game.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Sundaymorningguy said:
Serena cares or she wouldn't have tried playing Cincy in the first place. At least number 1 is going to a slam winner possibly even if it is Kerber with her boring game.

They all care about their rankings or Nadal wouldn't have bothered showing up right after the Olympics! Even in his prime, playing that much was trouble; had to know he'd go down in an upset somewhere! He probably just wants to reinforce a top 4 ranking with Roger going DOWN! Stan took over #3 IIRC! :nono :angel: :dodgy: :cover

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger's only going down 'cos he's not playing or he'd be right back at number 2. Will be interesting to see how long it takes him to go from the predicted 16 ranking when he returns back to top 4-5. Anyway, enough about Roger, Nadal and Stan in the WTA forum ffs :cover

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kerber one match away from becoming #1. The #2 seed is 4-2 over Pliskova, the #15 seed. I wonder whether she will feel pressure in this match. My guess is not much.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena's ranking is safe for now. Damn Kerber is messing up at the home stretch as of late. Serena has to perform well at the US Open if she wants to keep it.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Serena's ranking is safe for now. Damn Kerber is messing up at the home stretch as of late. Serena has to perform well at the US Open if she wants to keep it.

When Serena wins 3 matches in 2 weeks that will take her to the first weekend in September which will break the tie, correct?