Porsche Tennis Grand Prix 2017 , Stuttgart, Germany, WTA Premier

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Stuttgart Grand Prix Women's Singles Round 2 matches on Thursday

2-Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) beat CoCo Vandeweghe (U.S.) 7-6(2) 6-4
Kristina Mladenovic (France) beat 1-Angelique Kerber (Germany) 6-2 7-5
Maria Sharapova (Russia) beat Ekaterina Makarova (Russia) 7-5 6-1
Anastasija Sevastova (Latvia) beat 6-Johanna Konta (Britain) 6-3 7-5
Carla Suarez Navarro (Spain) beat Elena Vesnina (Russia) 6-2 6-4
Laura Siegemund (Germany) beat 8-Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia) 6-4 6-3

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With her loss to Mladenovic,Kerber is now 1-8 against Top 30 players so far this year

That's a pretty shocking stat. How does Kerber fix this freefall @MargaretMcAleer ? It's not reflected too much in her rankings yet, as she was sitting on a big buffer of points... but we're going to see a nosedive before too long unless she addresses it.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's a pretty shocking stat. How does Kerber fix this freefall @MargaretMcAleer ? It's not reflected too much in her rankings yet, as she was sitting on a big buffer of points... but we're going to see a nosedive before too long unless she addresses it.
It also doesn't bode well for the coming year where players are going to vie for position in the absence of Serena.

Reactions: britbox

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Kerber needs to be more 'proactive on court for starters' she is not playing at the level like she did in 2016,she is playing defensive tennis,like she did a few years ago when I thought she had reached a plateau in her overall game,then she started playing more offensive tennis,she has always been a good defender and is a good mover on the court,being a lefty she must use this to her advantage.I watched her game today,she was dreadful,in all aspects of her game,she needs to go back to the drawing board ASAP,she cannot use the excuse just a bad day at the office,especially with her current stats.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maria Sharapova might go on and win this. She's playing like she's never been away.

And you like that I assume. Like I wrote before I'm divided in this. From what I've seen and heard from her she's not behaving well and she definitly sound worse on court. I'm sorry but she should have waited until a whole tournament was available - like Rome or Madrid then it's all right. She's more cold and I just wonder what she's on now. Sorry.

N

Nekro

And you like that I assume. Like I wrote before I'm divided in this. From what I've seen and heard from her she's not behaving well and she definitly sound worse on court. I'm sorry but she should have waited until a whole tournament was available - like Rome or Madrid then it's all right. She's more cold and I just wonder what she's on now. Sorry.
Lol i'm hearing that from lots of people, she's cold, nobody likes her, whahahaha who cares the pusher biatches' toilet club doesn't like her..... It's about the game man, the game.... And Maria has awesome game, no wonder the pushers are jelly.

Hahaha great comment from a poster called Catherine on Scoop's site:

"And how Genie Bouchard has the nerve to start bleating now about Sharapova takes my breath away. It really does.

No one would cross the road to watch Bouchard play these days." :lulz1::lol3::clap:

so true, "fans" can't praise Jenny Butcher for her crap game so they're praising her for her big piehole

Cry pushing biatches cry.... oh man, and the youngsters who can actually play the game are coming...... more reason for the mugs to cry :D :p

http://www.livetennis.com/category/...n-teenager-do-wimbledon-damage-20160620-0005/

ac1.jpg

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Masha has a good chance to win Stuttgart and the Porsche...

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Nekro I'm glad you're happy - you want comments but fall back to the same pattern as other dedicated fans. Sometimes you should just do as I normally do - ignore it, so no more comments from me. Sorry Britbox thought it was you at first.

N

Nekro

Well Nekro I'm glad you're happy - you want comments but fall back to the same pattern as other dedicated fans. Sometimes you should just do as I normally do - ignore it, so no more comments from me. Sorry Britbox thought it was you at first.
lol come on, just comment away, even my Chinese friend's bashing Sharapova, most of the posters here are bashing her except Teddy. so you want me to do the same? or make comments like those pure class tennisfrontier posters like

"no one likes her except for a few ruskies like Sveta,Makarova and Vesnina,,hope they heckle her when she plays in the USA like they did to Sveta."

So as i saw you took your hat off to a lame hacker with flawed technique like Jenny Butcher and praised her for wanting to ban for life one of the greatest ones of women's tennis? so lame hackers can vulture the GSs even more easily? lol!!!!!

However, i can do nothing against this. These political activists and blind fanboys/girls have overrun the tennis world... i saw a guy on tennis.com saying ban Nastase (another great old one and a pioneer of tennis) for life otherwise he stops watching tennis where he's present lol!!!! Great tennis fans :lulz1:

But say what you want, i mean i've seen it all and heard it all, i'm just posting and commenting away too.... The pusher girls' toilet club's aim is clear too..... They just want to get rid of a superior player who stands in the way of their GS dreams...... the talk about cheating and what the kids think and role model crap is just that, crap... they are just defending their interests and trying to make life easier for themselves....

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Stuttgart Grand Prix Women's Singles Quarterfinal matches on Friday

Laura Siegemund (Germany) beat 2-Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 7-6(3) 5-7 6-3
Kristina Mladenovic (France) beat Carla Suarez Navarro (Spain) 6-3 6-2
Maria Sharapova (Russia) beat Anett Kontaveit (Estonia) 6-3 6-4

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pliskova's surprise departure at the hands of Laura Siegemund has left the door wide open for Maria to take her first title on her return.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
lol come on, just comment away, even my Chinese friend's bashing Sharapova, most of the posters here are bashing her except Teddy. so you want me to do the same? or make comments like those pure class tennisfrontier posters like

"no one likes her except for a few ruskies like Sveta,Makarova and Vesnina,,hope they heckle her when she plays in the USA like they did to Sveta."

So as i saw you took your hat off to a lame hacker with flawed technique like Jenny Butcher and praised her for wanting to ban for life one of the greatest ones of women's tennis? so lame hackers can vulture the GSs even more easily? lol!!!!!

However, i can do nothing against this. These political activists and blind fanboys/girls have overrun the tennis world... i saw a guy on tennis.com saying ban Nastase (another great old one and a pioneer of tennis) for life otherwise he stops watching tennis where he's present lol!!!! Great tennis fans :lulz1:

But say what you want, i mean i've seen it all and heard it all, i'm just posting and commenting away too.... The pusher girls' toilet club's aim is clear too..... They just want to get rid of a superior player who stands in the way of their GS dreams...... the talk about cheating and what the kids think and role model crap is just that, crap... they are just defending their interests and trying to make life easier for themselves....

I think the Sharapova/PED thing is more complicated than an anti-Russian conspiracy and just plain jealousy from other players. I think there is more than one conversation/question here...

1) Was she banned fairly?
2) Was the drug for performance enhancement or medicinal purposes?
3) Did she deliberately cheat?
4) Was the ban the correct length of time?
5) Should she get wildcards into a main draw / Preferential treatment?
6) Should other players shut their mouths?

WADA issued notice that Meldonium was going to be banned in April 2016 - it's not like Team Sharapova had an unexpected dawn raid in the middle of the night without a warning. There was plenty of notice - all published.

That said, I have no problem with Sharapova using it until it was banned, and her slam count is all well and good. All players will use whatever means... and that's fine if they're within the legal limits of the sport.

However, she was given plenty of notice that this was going on the banned list. She admitted using it after the deadline (through ignorance).

If she was "let off" then that would have sent out a message - a huge message that top players are bigger than the rulebook. The stink would have been far worse than banning Maria Sharapova.

It was a fair cop IMO.

I know you don't think it's more performance enhancing than Vitamin C, but I'd ask why so many athletes were using it if it had little more effect than a placebo? Sports "scientists" will figure out all these marginal benefits before these drugs become widely used.

I didn't believe a word of Sharapova's presser when she said she'd been taking it as a precaution against diabetes/heart problems... the stuff's only supposed to be prescribed in small stretches covering weeks, not ten years. It was for performance enhancement... no doubt about it.

I would assume that she didn't deliberately cheat. Some will say she was cheating for years. I don't agree - players will and do take anything legal to get an edge. If it's legal at the time - it's fair game. Sharapova didn't cheat for a decade - she played the system. So does everybody else. However, if WADA decide a drug should go on the banned list, then athletes should obviously take notice and stop using.

I suspect it was an oversight by Sharapova... but ignorance isn't a defence, or everybody would just plead ignorance.

The fuzzy area for me was the implication that her team didn't know she was even taking it.

Anyway, benefit of the doubt for Masha on this.

I've read talk of an anti-Russian conspiracy for the reasons that the drug was banned - but on that basis, I'd suggest looking up drugs that were banned over the last few years. You'll find most weren't manufactured in the soviet states. I think the Russians have a got a bad shake in some other areas - like blanket bans based on the nationality rather than individuals failing tests (unacceptable IMO) but that's another conversation.

If you went strictly by the rulebook - she should really have got 4 years. 2 was a compromise and 1.5 was a further compromise. The ban length wasn't unfair. I'd suggest who she was worked in her favour, not against her.

5) Should she get wildcards into a main draw / preferential treatment?

I don't have a particularly strong opinion about it, but I'd edge towards no - based on the circumstances of her absence. If she'd been injured, then yes.

I get the business side of it, and all these tournaments have to make money. I understand why she's getting preferential treatment and I read the commentary on Tennis-Prose too about the ability of rinky dink tournaments to accommodate her. I'd prefer another compromise - that she gets wildcards into the qualies. There won't be any problems with tournament infrastructure.

6) Should other players shut up?

I don't see why they should curtail their responses. So, it's OK for media hacks and posters around the web to voice strong opinions, but a grand slam finalist and two time grand slam semi final player Eugenie Bouchard who plays the same tournaments should just shut her mouth?

Doesn't make sense to me. I don't see why a player who has already achieved more on a tennis court than the other 99.999% of other people commenting on it can't have her say. You might not agree with it what she says, but she's entitled to an opinion.

Reactions: Nekro
N

Nekro

I think the Sharapova/PED thing is more complicated than an anti-Russian conspiracy and just plain jealousy from other players. I think there is more than one conversation/question here...

5) Should she get wildcards into a main draw / Preferential treatment?
6) Should other players shut their mouths?

WADA issued notice that Meldonium was going to be banned in April 2016 - it's not like Team Sharapova had an unexpected dawn raid in the middle of the night without a warning. There was plenty of notice - all published.

That said, I have no problem with Sharapova using it until it was banned, and her slam count is all well and good. All players will use whatever means... and that's fine if they're within the legal limits of the sport.

However, she was given plenty of notice that this was going on the banned list. She admitted using it after the deadline (through ignorance).

If she was "let off" then that would have sent out a message - a huge message that top players are bigger than the rulebook. The stink would have been far worse than banning Maria Sharapova.

It was a fair cop IMO.

I know you don't think it's more performance enhancing than Vitamin C, but I'd ask why so many athletes were using it if it had little more effect than a placebo? Sports "scientists" will figure out all these marginal benefits before these drugs become widely used.

I didn't believe a word of Sharapova's presser when she said she'd been taking it as a precaution against diabetes/heart problems... the stuff's only supposed to be prescribed in small stretches covering weeks, not ten years. It was for performance enhancement... no doubt about it.

I would assume that she didn't deliberately cheat. Some will say she was cheating for years. I don't agree - players will and do take anything legal to get an edge. If it's legal at the time - it's fair game. Sharapova didn't cheat for a decade - she played the system. So does everybody else. However, if WADA decide a drug should go on the banned list, then athletes should obviously take notice and stop using.

I suspect it was an oversight by Sharapova... but ignorance isn't a defence, or everybody would just plead ignorance.

The fuzzy area for me was the implication that her team didn't know she was even taking it.

Anyway, benefit of the doubt for Masha on this.

I've read talk of an anti-Russian conspiracy for the reasons that the drug was banned - but on that basis, I'd suggest looking up drugs that were banned over the last few years. You'll find most weren't manufactured in the soviet states. I think the Russians have a got a bad shake in some other areas - like blanket bans based on the nationality rather than individuals failing tests (unacceptable IMO) but that's another conversation.

If you went strictly by the rulebook - she should really have got 4 years. 2 was a compromise and 1.5 was a further compromise. The ban length wasn't unfair. I'd suggest who she was worked in her favour, not against her.

5) Should she get wildcards into a main draw / preferential treatment?

I don't have a particularly strong opinion about it, but I'd edge towards no - based on the circumstances of her absence. If she'd been injured, then yes.

I get the business side of it, and all these tournaments have to make money. I understand why she's getting preferential treatment and I read the commentary on Tennis-Prose too about the ability of rinky dink tournaments to accommodate her. I'd prefer another compromise - that she gets wildcards into the qualies. There won't be any problems with tournament infrastructure.

6) Should other players shut up?

I don't see why they should curtail their responses. So, it's OK for media hacks and posters around the web to voice strong opinions, but a grand slam finalist and two time grand slam semi final player Eugenie Bouchard who plays the same tournaments should just shut her mouth?

Doesn't make sense to me. I don't see why a player who has already achieved more on a tennis court than the other 99.999% of other people commenting on it can't have her say. You might not agree with it what she says, but she's entitled to an opinion.
It was a big mistake taking it in the first place imo too..... you know my philosophy about any meds, even legal ones..... Don't put artificial crap in your body, it's poison......

That's my philosophy, imo Maria was silly for taking it in the first place

I also agree it was negligence from her, or as she said she got "comfortable".....

However, the big "scandal" people made about it is just ugly and FILTHY, they way they used it for political purpose, for the olympics and all...

So yeah, the points you made are legit, but if you look at the big picture it's very ugly...

About Bouchard, and whether she should shut up or no, well, ofc everybody can say what he/she wants to, i'm just mouthing away in my usual clownish way too......

However, even if i look at what Bouchard is doing in a very detached and serious way not sure in the long run she's gonna profit from this... I'm not even sure the players she ganged up with will be around for long..... And there are all those young Russian/Eastern European players coming up.... You know she can find herself in a very uncomfy situation one day too.......