Why I Am Optimistic For The Future

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
This is a personal opinion of course, because I know not everyone likes the kind of tennis that I like but here it is:

Both guys that won their semis yesterday won because they played attacking tennis, refused to give up the baseline and played positive all day. I love that. They were not afraid, intimidated and they did not sit back for the other guy to hand it to them. In fact, they kept kicking their opponents when they were down...Sure, there were not a lot of volleying but one cannot have everything, maybe in the future. But for now, these two guys gave me hope. More importantly, they know now that it works. In return, everyone who watched these matches know that it works: You take time away from your opponent, NO MATTER WHO, you have a chance. Milos, as much as folks here dislike him, has an offensive mentality as well and Grigor too, to an extant. Ditto Kyrgios.

Attacking tennis is back...:clap

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's an interesting post. I certainly hope it's true. Interestingly, Federer has been at the vanguard of shortening points this season, coming into the net more points than he's actually played, which is awesome. I'd love to see a return to dicey, rat a tat tennis, truncated swings and abbreviated shots. Fast hands and brilliant brains. Not just sweating grunt work from the baseline...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree in that I enjoy attacking, "Samurai duel" tennis, but ultimately I'd like to see an era of diverse styles rather than a narrow range of any kind of tennis.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The best attacking tennis I've seen in literally years was Kyrgios absolutely destroying Robredo the first 5 games of their match when he went up 5-0. Sadly he couldn't sustain it but it was an incredible display. Unfortunately no clips online that I can find of the whole match or even that first set, just highlights of the whole match. Those who watched it though will know what I mean.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
El Dude said:
I agree in that I enjoy attacking, "Samurai duel" tennis, but ultimately I'd like to see an era of diverse styles rather than a narrow range of any kind of tennis.

I second the emotion! I guess I can stop saying the ATP is "gutless!" It's not like I wanted either or both Djokovic and Federer to lose, but I've found it ridiculous that they along with Nadal always seemed to make quarters and semi's without much sweat! They're getting challenged more, but still taking the top titles for the most part! Will this be a trend to continue with Kei and Cilic trumpeting the charge? Bout time if it is the case!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I certainly had no problem with either win. They went out there and took it. Very impressive!

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
El Dude said:

I totally agree Dude, but in the last 10 years or so, I felt like Roger was the only player providing all the diversity and everyone else, give or take, were playing a variation of the same thing. I am happy I see a guy like Kei who is willing to stay on the baseline and not give an inch if he can help it.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Tommy Haas is one of the old school dying breed in the same class of diversity as Roger. Miss him on tour this year and hope he recovers well as he still thinks he has a good bit of high quality tennis left in him and shoulder permitting so do I. The Indian Wells 2014 match between Haas and Federer was one of the best matches of the year imo. Some unreal shot making from both guys.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
For the most part, tennis tournaments are still won by attacking tennis. Guys like Nadal and Djokovic move, counter-punch, and are able to turn defense into attack so well that we lose sight of this. But seriously, how many tournaments have they won with defense for the past 4 years or so? Not many. Now, I think they've won plenty of matches with defense, or used their defense to get out of trouble in key moments, but ultimately, unless they weren't playing sharp attacking tennis, they're not winning tournaments. I'm sure there might be exceptions but as a general rule of thumb, this is true.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I agree.

I also like how they had to overcome some pretty large obstacles (i.e., defeating Djokovic and Federer in a best-of-5-set match at a GS) to get to where they are now.

They deserved it.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Broken_Shoelace said:
For the most part, tennis tournaments are still won by attacking tennis. Guys like Nadal and Djokovic move, counter-punch, and are able to turn defense into attack so well that we lose sight of this. But seriously, how many tournaments have they won with defense for the past 4 years or so? Not many. Now, I think they've won plenty of matches with defense, or used their defense to get out of trouble in key moments, but ultimately, unless they weren't playing sharp attacking tennis, they're not winning tournaments. I'm sure there might be exceptions but as a general rule of thumb, this is true.

I agree with you BS, but what I am talking about when I say "attacking tennis" is a mindset. I am talking about Edberg, Sampras, Federer mindset. Basically saying ' I will initiate everything, I will ask the questions and the match will be on my racket" . That has been missing from the game for a while I think.

Sure , even Murray is going to win eventually by attacking, but he is not what I have in mind when I say attacking tennis. To me, his attacking is taking advantage of a situation that comes up, as opposed to going and getting it himself. More reactionary than proactive, if it makes sense.

But I know what you are saying.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, there's attacking, and then there's early strike stuff. All the top players are aggressive, but then there's old school pitching everything at the other fellow to harass him, take away his time, and kill the point off quickly. The top players today are attacking, but differently to how players did before...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I think there are different types of attacking tennis. Clearly I find Roger's style to be most aesthetically pleasing, but it's crazy to say Novak's returns aren't attacking. I mean.. seriously.. they couldn't be more attacking! Rafa as well is an absolute beast. His continual pounding on Roger's backhand is attacking in my view :( If one were to accuse any of the big guys then Murray is fair game, but even then... you do what you have to do to win.

But I do concede that tennis would be more interesting if we got more first strike tennis, a la Roger. But the fact that he's had relatively less success at it in recent times is a testament to how difficult it is to execute against the current super-fast and fit crop of players.

One of the things I loved about particularly Cilic, was that he initiating first strike tennis against Roger. I mean... I loved it, but I hated it too! What can you do? That was TENNIS!

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The thing with Federer, Djokovic and Nadal is that they construct points so well, that it doesn't always as "attacking" in the strictest sense. Obviously, Fed is a little different since it's crazy to call his brand of tennis as anything other than attacking, but if you watch him in 2003 and early 2004, he was actually more aggressive than his 2006 peak (which was the best tennis of his career). But with time, his point construction being so otherworldly that he became more patience. Nadal's shot selection is insane, and he'll slowly wear you out with the forehand. It's attacking tennis, but a different brand than the traditional sense of the word that the OP is referring to.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nobody's disputing that, buddy, these boys are fierce. But Murat is glad to see the more traditional stuff come back on the menu. I've also been glad to see Federer take the wild ride of charging the net like berserk buffalo at every opportunity...

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Naw, I am not optimistic at all. I think when Federer hangs it up, the tennis won't be played at all. ATP will fail to exist and the sport of tennis will be doomed.:D

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
Naw, I am not optimistic at all. I think when Federer hangs it up, the tennis won't be played at all. ATP will fail to exist and the sport of tennis will be doomed.:D

To top it off Novak got his wife pregnant and Nadal has an injured wrist/knee/everything ;)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Billie said:

To top it off Novak got his wife pregnant and Nadal has an injured wrist/knee/everything ;)

Harsh times coming up, I am telling you. Nobody will even watch this final today, I will, but I am a nobody.;)

Welcome back.:clap

K

Kenneth

I am also optimistic. I see young good players who are so eager to show something on the field! Awesome!