Why do tennis players have to wear white at Wimbledon?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
The 1st thing I'd like to say is that I was amazed by the history to tell you the truth because I know that Mary, Queen of Scots played tennis but until relatively recently women were seen as the weaker gender so I'm amazed that Victorian ladies were allowed to play tennis especially as at the time women's role in life was seen as doing housework & looking after their husband & children. There is some truth in the statement that women are physically weaker than men because the hormone testosterone in men make it easier for men to build muscle than women.

I could go into further detail about how women were seen in the past etc. but don't want to drone on & on.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
Another thing that got me is they said white shows less perspiration than any other colour & when I sweat & I'm wearing white my clothing goes yellow. I'd say that black would show sweat less than any other colour but it reflects heat so on a hot day tennis players would get too hot. Yellow wouldn't be suitable either because it attracts midges which we get a lot of. What do you think? What colour do you think would show perspiration the least while not causing tennis players to get too hot or attract midges?

I could go into more detail about colour theory but don't want to be seen as boring.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
I think that if the outfits aren't too transparent it shouldn't matter what colour underwear the tennis players are wearing.

Horsa

Reactions
I also think that the statement about Pat Cash not being allowed to play because his trainers weren't white showed that the enforcement of rules was a bit draconian. I liked Pat Cash. Could nobody have let him borrow a pair of white trainers? I mean he'd have been wearing socks so even if he had a condition like athletes foot or verruccas no one could have caught them off him.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Very interesting piece. It certainly highlights the old notion of the sport that it's meant to be "genteel." No one actually works enough to sweat, so god forbid the sweat should show. (As a side-bar in the Fedal Wars, this is where we get the notion that Roger is what tennis is "supposed to be," and Rafa is a "peasant," "blue-collar worker," whatever. Oh my! Tennis takes effort? Clutch the pearls.)

I'm going to say another thing about the whites that may make some folks cringe, but I don't know why it never gets said. All of the women who play tennis are in their fertile years. There are times when the last thing you want to wear is white. I don't know how humiliation is consistently avoided, though I think the bathroom breaks are more liberal, and, more likely, there will be some abuse of birth control pills. I don't know how else to explain it. The women might play better at Wimbledon if they were allowed to wear dark shorts or skirts.

Horsa

Reactions
Very interesting piece. It certainly highlights the old notion of the sport that it's meant to be "genteel." No one actually works enough to sweat, so god forbid the sweat should show. (As a side-bar in the Fedal Wars, this is where we get the notion that Roger is what tennis is "supposed to be," and Rafa is a "peasant," "blue-collar worker," whatever. Oh my! Tennis takes effort? Clutch the pearls.)

I'm going to say another thing about the whites that may make some folks cringe, but I don't know why it never gets said. All of the women who play tennis are in their fertile years. There are times when the last thing you want to wear is white. I don't know how humiliation is consistently avoided, though I think the bathroom breaks are more liberal, and, more likely, there will be some abuse of birth control pills. I don't know how else to explain it. The women might play better at Wimbledon if they were allowed to wear dark shorts or skirts.
It is very interesting indeed. Though on your information I guess you could ask the question that "if tennis is supposed to be genteel why do men play when they're supposed to be macho?". Thank you very much for the extra information.

Definitely. I get you. You're on about the week when women get groggy though for some women they get groggy 2 weeks on the trot. I agree. It's not nice to have an accident & it's so embarrassing. I'd say they use tampons. I think it would be better if women could wear dark shorts or skirts too.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's possible that some of the guys are discomfited by the macho players. They want the game to be aesthetic, but they probably also find that a bit effete, therefore the butch players make them shrivel a bit. So they make up ways to take them down. It's a weird male double-blind construct.

Horsa

Reactions
Definitely. I think some of the more graceful players sometimes feel threatened at the sight of some of the more macho players in the same way that some of the up-and-coming players feel threatened by some of the big names. Some of them try their best anyway & others let people they see as a threat get to them & make careless errors.

Last edited: