Where's Peng Shuai ?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
...And what has the C.C.P done with her? Release her !

Big news announced here today is Tennis Australia will be allowing
silent protests to go ahead after all.

Tennis Australia backflips on 'Where is Peng Shuai?' T-shirt ban at Australian Open​

Tennis Australia says Peng Shuai's safety is its "primary concern", despite police and Melbourne Park security confiscating a T-shirt and banner featuring messages in support of the Chinese tennis player.

Key points:​

• Peng Shuai's wellbeing became a matter of concern after she appeared to accuse a senior Chinese official of sexual assault
  • Tennis Australia says her safety is its "primary concern" but that political messages are not to be worn at the Australian Open
  • Players at the Australian Open have been asked for their opinion on the Peng situation throughout the tournament

Tennis Australia said it "does not allow clothing, banners or signs that are commercial or political" at the Australian Open.
Video footage has emerged on social media of police and security officers asking a spectator to take off a T-shirt she wore with the message "Where is Peng Shuai?" during the tournament.

A banner with the same message was also confiscated.

A police officer is shown in the video explaining the directive.

"The Australian Open does have a rule that there can't be any political slogans," the police officer said.

"That is a rule that is part of the condition of entry."
Tennis Australia defended the decision to confiscate the T-shirt and banner in a statement.

"Under our ticket conditions of entry, we don't allow clothing, banners or signs that are commercial or political," it said.

"Peng Shuai's safety is our primary concern. We continue to work with the WTA (Women's Tennis Association) and global tennis community to seek more clarity on her situation and will do everything we can to ensure her wellbeing."

Drew Pavlou, an activist and critic of the Chinese Communist Party, has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to "go towards the printing" of the T-shirts.

It has so far raised almost $7,000.

Peng's wellbeing became a matter of concern among the international tennis community and human rights groups when she appeared to allege former Chinese vice-premier, Zhang Gaoli, had sexually assaulted her in the past.

After the social media post was made, she was absent from public view for almost three weeks.

Tennis player Peng Shuai throws a tennis ball into the air

When she did appear in public again, she said that she had never accused anyone of sexually assaulting her and that the social media post had been misunderstood.

The Women's Tennis Association said Peng's appearance did not address its concerns about her wellbeing.

Players at the Australian Open have been asked for their opinion on the Peng situation throughout the tournament.

"There hasn't been that much development in terms of contact with Peng Shuai even though from our side we will continue to make any and all efforts to make sure that she is safe, she feels comfortable," Victoria Azarenka said.

"Hopefully we will get to hear from her personally at some point. I think that's the goal, the main goal right now."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Peng Shuai has gone through a Chinese reeducation program, which is a savage, terrifying process, as detailed by Gulbahar Haitiwaji in her book, How I Survived A Chinese Reeducation Camp, which I haven’t had the chance to read yet but will. She wrote about it here too, and one can only pity Peng because it’s impossible to imagine her having any movement or life outside China again. China is a terrible nation, and we’re going to face increasing problems from there in future. Peng, unfortunately, has no choice in what she says now, and she possibly even believes she’s saying the truth, even when she denies what she previously wrote on Chinese social media, which is that she was sexually abused. After the extreme torture she’s surely been put through, it’s understandable…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Statement by Steve Simon,WTA Chairman and CEO, 7th February,2022.

"It's always good to see Peng Shuai,whether in an interview or attending Olympic Games.
However,her recent in-person interview does not alleviate any of our concerns about her initial post from November 2nd.
To reiterate our view,Peng took a bold step in publicly coming forth with the accusation that she was sexually assulted by a
Senior Chinese Government Leader.As we would do with any of our players globally,we have called for a formal investigation
into the allegations and an opportunity for the WTA to meet with Peng-privately-to discuss her situation.
We continue to hold firm on our position and our thoughts remain with Peng Shuai".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Reactions: kskate2 and tented

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I would still like to see Peng Shaui sit down with WTA CEO Steve Simon...though I cannot see that happening.To me that was a 'staged appearance by the Chinese' to say Peng Shuai is okay and happy appearing at the Winter Olympics....more spin and cover up by the Chinese and the IOC President who I have no time for.
Listen, it's good to see her out and about (at least we know she's still ticking), but frankly we know her life is not her own. I'm sure if she applied, some country would grant her asylum. But if she's under an unofficial house arrest, I don't see how she would even be able to leave.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Listen, it's good to see her out and about (at least we know she's still ticking), but frankly we know her life is not her own. I'm sure if she applied, some country would grant her asylum. But if she's under an unofficial house arrest, I don't see how she would even be able to leave.
Agreed. If she’s ever allowed to leave China again — which is questionable — that would be her opportunity to defect, but as long as she’s still there, I highly doubt she has a chance. If she goes missing, China would lockdown every airport and search every plane until they found her. And then there’s the concern of what they would do to her family even if she could somehow leave …