What were your favourite films of 2014?

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I personally believed 2014 was a rather great year for film, even if I didn't get a chance to watch that many. What were your personal favourites of last year? Here are mine. I typed this up a few days ago. Sorry about the rambling, but this is what I get like. :p

The Rover - David Michod

MoxwRhk.gif

A chillingly elemental and minimalist slice of Australian filmmaking. It failed to resonate with audiences because it is so deceptively simple - it is no way near as thematically complex as Michod's previous work, Animal Kingdom, and this is precisely why Cannes were largely underwhelmed with it. It is a masterful exercise in mood and atmosphere, and, consequently, a remarkably straightforward film. It's also impeccably photographed, and one of the few Australian films of the last few years that was shot on 35mm photochemical film. And that is precisely what you needed to capture the stark, unforgiving, yet oddly alluring outback of the Australian outback. It's really beautiful.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson

tumblr_n6m7wajDls1sa5fiko5_r1_250.gif

I am hardly a fan of Anderson's work, but this has to be one of the most technically well-crafted American films of the last ten years. From the the vibrant, vivid colours to the flawless composition and framing to the perceptive and detailed art design, and all the way down to the the witty, fast-paced screenplay, and beautiful cinematography. It also has an extremely impressive cast, lead by the criminally overlooked Ralph Fiennes.

Whiplash - Damien Chazelle

tumblr_nd9f0soutg1rkem6ho5_500.gif

This is truly an intense, fervent slice of filmmaking. It transforms jazz into a ruthless bloodsport. The towering screen presence of Teller and Simmons place aside, this film has to be one of the best, purely from an editorial standpoint, in quite some time. This is how you build a sense of inexorable anxiety and strain - each cut just nervously adding to the next. So often throughout the viewing it felt like you were behind the drums, in Andrew's position, anxiously playing whilst Fletcher was stalking each and every auditory note, ready to pounce in vexation if you blundered. And the use of sound was impeccable - who would've thought jazz music could be so fanatical and daunting when placed in this context? A masterpiece, for sure.

Boyhood - Richard Linklater

tumblr_nf1xj3QEVs1s89mq8o1_400.gif

This is when experimentation pays off. It's a restrained, careful, and human work, never becoming too exploitive with its 12-year concept nor coming across as overly-gimmicky and showy. It's a difficult film to dislike because it has so much scope - everyone can relate to this film on some level, and it never becomes too extravagant, conceptually, and this is why I think it has resonated with such a mass audience. I wouldn't put this up there as a favourite and I don't even think it's Linklater's best, but there's no denying it's a wonderful film - it has the humanity of an Ozu film and a very European-orientated sensibility, as the pacing and overall structure of the film felt rather reminiscent to something Ingmar Bergman would have conjured up.

Nightcrawler - Dan Gilroy

tumblr_nhvmclbVDB1r7a0wxo1_500.gif

This is one of the most uncompromisingly salient American films of recent times. Not only a shatteringly insightful look into the ostensibly questionable merit of contemporary journalism, but, on a much larger level, an aggressive denunciation of the corporatist, capitalist model. It's a work that fundamentally demonstrates how unprincipled our system has become, and how we can grant enterprise and opportunities to businesses that run on depraved and venal convictions. Moreover, Jake Gyllenhaal delivers one of the most impressive and focused performances of the last few years. Elswit's beautiful nighttime photography and Gilroy's slick writing, direction, and pacing are all noteworthy points, too. It's also a remarkably edited feature. An instantly recommendable film, if not for its radical political subtext and postulations but for its sheer intensity and drama.

Foxcatcher - Bennett Miller

tumblr_nd4t7rl4w21smzyhdo1_400.gif

Technically adept filmmaking, no matter which way you look it. It has a very bleached out visual aesthetic - it's masterfully shot, but not in your conventionally expected way. It's such a complete work; from photography to editing, to acting to sound, to storytelling to direction - it excels in all of the aforementioned components and exceedingly so. The performances are toweringly good, and as some may give all the attention to Carell (who was, yes, remarkable), I personally believe Ruffalo stole the show. This is a work I admire the more I think about it. As we know, it's a real life tragedy, and it could have easily fell victim to overwrought sentimentality and cliches. But Miller approached it with a restrained and observant sensibility, never letting exposition get in the way.​

I also really liked Edge of Tomorrow, The Babadook, Interstellar, and Joe.

How about you, fellow Frontiers?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Good thread to start, Matt. I saw so few new films last year that I can't contribute, but I'm looking forward to reading the replies...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1- Interstellar
2- The Hobbit (I enjoyed it more than most)
3- Gone Girl.

There are some I've yet to see, such as Nightcrawler.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
1. The Grand Budapest Hotel
2. American Sniper
3. Captain America the Winter Soldier

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the only top film of 2014 I have seen I saw last night and it was Boyhood, by Linklater. I really, really enjoyed this film experience--and it was an experience. I can only hope they all pop up and surprise us with Manhood in another twelve years or so. I will definitely go and see how young Mason and Samantha, mom, dad and friends have turned out.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Living in Sydney,Australia sometimes we get movies at a later date than America

Gone Girl was my favorite move of 2014.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Behind on my movies, but I just watched The Rover a couple nights ago. Absolutely brilliant. Surprised how well Robert Pattinson did.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Saw a lot of good ones and missed out on quite a few:

1. Gone Girl
2. Imitation Game (2014 movie that I saw in 2015)
3. Captain America 2/ XMen: Days of Future Past (both excellent comic book movies, and I just started getting into those).
4. Guardians of the Galaxy

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has anybody else seen Joe? The new David Gordon Green movie? It's brilliant and a return to his earlier dark, southern dramas. Really damn good, the trailer does not do it justice at all.