What is it going to Take?

Topspin65

Reactions
Has Serena been forced to cover the court at all in any of her matches so far at the US Open? The big story is her invincible serve which is true....but my premise is that if any opponent can catch her on a bad service day or have the capacity to return serve, they stand a chance to execute a counterpunch type strategy....the extended rally, a dink and deep, or keep ball in play and force Serena to run around.....I question her fitness and more than that her "overhang". Eventually, that extra mass on top and bottom has to exact a coefficient of drag type penalty and wear her down....it's that simple. Most of the big "overhang" women (Kivitova, Keys, Townsend, Makarova, Kuznetsova, et al) are long gone....Halep, bless her heart, had the good sense to get rid of the top overhang and look how that step has advanced her performance. ;)

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well Serena is keeping the errors down too, so it isn't just the serve that is holding strong. She has a lot of motivation at this slam.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Making Serena move is really hard when she's making you move with her big weapons. But your basic premise is correct- if her biggest weapon i.e. her serve is not working, there are people who can beat her. But Serena's best tennis is still the best women's game in the world- though that will change probably in the next 2-3 years.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Topspin65 said:
Has Serena been forced to cover the court at all in any of her matches so far at the US Open? The big story is her invincible serve which is true....but my premise is that if any opponent can catch her on a bad service day or have the capacity to return serve, they stand a chance to execute a counterpunch type strategy....the extended rally, a dink and deep, or keep ball in play and force Serena to run around.....I question her fitness and more than that her "overhang". Eventually, that extra mass on top and bottom has to exact a coefficient of drag type penalty and wear her down....it's that simple. Most of the big "overhang" women (Kivitova, Keys, Townsend, Makarova, Kuznetsova, et al) are long gone....Halep, bless her heart, had the good sense to get rid of the top overhang and look how that step has advanced her performance. ;)
She has won 22 grand slams with that "over hang" as you call it. She's doing fine. Imo you are being snarky.

Topspin65

Reactions
colleen66 said:
Topspin65 said:
She has won 22 grand slams with that "over hang" as you call it. She's doing fine. Imo you are being snarky.

"Overhang" is a big issue for many of today's WTA players as you must know. Several have addressed it by down-sizing. Others have gone in the other direction, embellishing what they had, like Serena. Many WTA players with significant overhang were knocked out of the Open .... Keys, Kvitova, Kuznetsova, Makarova, etc. Serena with her double overhang got knocked out by Pliskova who only has top overhang. Karo offsets her O-H factor by having an otherwise svelte, lanky body with long legs and a graceful lope. Serena unfortunately has a middle linebacker physique...ahem, but that's a different sport. My premise is simple....you beat Serena on her off days with the serve or if you can make her move around and put all that mass into motion. She will wear down. Very few of her opponents have ever exploited the latter strategy.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Topspin65 said:
colleen66 said:
Topspin65 said:

"Overhang" is a big issue for many of today's WTA players as you must know. Several have addressed it by down-sizing. Others have gone in the other direction, embellishing what they had, like Serena. Many WTA players with significant overhang were knocked out of the Open .... Keys, Kvitova, Kuznetsova, Makarova, etc. Serena with her double overhang got knocked out by Pliskova who only has top overhang. Karo offsets her O-H factor by having an otherwise svelte, lanky body with long legs and a graceful lope. Serena unfortunately has a middle linebacker physique...ahem, but that's a different sport. My premise is simple....you beat Serena on her off days with the serve or if you can make her move around and put all that mass into motion. She will wear down. Very few of her opponents have ever exploited the latter strategy.
Abundant mass or not, the fact is she is older now. She's been a step slower for several years, but like you said most people don't exploit the movement so it's never noticed until she loses a match. As a woman, I understand how some of God's gifts can be challenging. I won't advocate someone surgically altering or removing one of those heavenly gifts and neither should you. It's a personal preference and that's all I'll say about that.

Obviously, people can adhere to a diet and exercise regimen, but even that won't resolve an over abundant top and bottom. Some things are a blessing and a curse and just maybe you have to learn to live with them as they are in order to avoid going under the knife.