US Open Day 4: Thursday, August 28

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
borna coric is playing someone twice his age..they have both won 1 match at major level.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
borna coric is playing someone twice his age..they have both won 1 match at major level.

That "someone" is Estrella Burgos, who keeps also progressing at 34 y of age, he has been just recently broken through into the top 100 (almost weekly fixture on my new career highs in the top 100 list). Both with ambitions of their own.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I actually think Djokovic came into the Open the best way he ever could coming in with no pressure given his crappy summer. All eyes are on Roger which should make the pressure on Djokovic's end easier. He has looked great so far.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Front242 said:
^ Nice. Didn't actually watch either as I expected them to be one sided affairs but good to hear they're playing well. Next match I'll watch will be Kyrgios v Seppi. Interested to see how far Kyrgios goes. He has a sore arm though.

Jo is almost looking skinny out there... almost. Seems really fit and moving well.

Definitely looks fitter alright. Good to see as I imagine half the problem with porking up a bit had to do him being sidelined with knee issues so often and not being able to do much cardio to burn off the weight.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Today Americans are 2 for 2 (not in the same manner as yesterday though).

Both Sam Querry and John Isner has won.

John Isner is slated to playe Philip Kohlschrbrier in the 3rd round. By pure coincidence
he played Kohly in exactly the same round the last two years at USO and lost on both
occasions. Do you think it will be any different this time?

Querry faces in Novak in R3.

I am not surprised by the fact that Querrey won today. Although he has been very underwhelming for a while, he made it to R3 and R4 at the USO a couple of times before. At the same time, GG Lopez never made it past the second round here.
For some reason, GG Lopez has been less successful in slams than on some of the smaller events.

Sure, SQ has progressed to R3 and R4 before. However, I believe he used to be seeded then.
The difference this time is he created an upset and entered R3.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I actually think Djokovic came into the Open the best way he ever could coming in with no pressure given his crappy summer. All eyes are on Roger which should make the pressure on Djokovic's end easier. He has looked great so far.

I don't think many put much stock in those losses at Toronto and Cincy and for good reason. On the other hand there is also good reason to put some stock in Roger's results since Halle. Both should feel good about their chances to make the finals at the very least.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
When Milos arrives to his 5th service game against Gojo, it is like a curse because suddenly his first services desert him entirely. I am sure glimpses from Halle when he lost to him 4-6, 4-6 were on his mind as on mine. He defended 2 BP this time around and won the service game.
I was nervous when I saw Gojo in his draw and still I am.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Simone Bolelli 2 sets up on Tommy Robredo. He plays surprisingly well this year here.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
When Milos arrives to his 5th service game against Gojo, it is like a curse because suddenly his first services desert him entirely. I am sure glimpses from Halle when he lost to him 4-6, 4-6 were on his mind as on mine. He defended 2 BP this time around and won the service game.

Yeah, good player and half expecting him to win. The first set he played against Nadal at Doha was outstanding.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Milos manages to win his first set against Gojo in a TB 7-4. Hi first service % is abysmal though, at one point towards the end of the set was at 37%

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
DarthFed said:
Fricken Robredo still holding on...

To be honest I think he'll come back and win that match.

I don't doubt it, Mr. Robredo defies all expectations...somehow ;)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Milos manages to win his first set against Gojo in a TB 7-4. Hi first service % is abysmal though, at one point towards the end of the set was at 37%

Watching the Kyrgios match here but tuned in for the middle of the TB and Gojo's drop shot was a terrible choice of shot and he threw away that set with that point. Anyone who fails to capitalize on Raonic serving 37% is really making a mess of things.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Raonic serving at 37% should be an automatic win...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
herios said:

Yeah, good player and half expecting him to win. The first set he played against Nadal at Doha was outstanding.

I just don't get it why is he ranked this low? Can't he play well just once in a while? He looks strong there, fast around the court as well.
Jimmy Arias who comments this match on my network analysing his technical game says he is very stiff, his service is like a pizza delivery. His shots are very flat, reminiscent of Dolgopolov (his looks are strinkingly similar as well)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Front242 said:
herios said:

I just don't get it why is he ranked this low? Can't he play well just once in a while? He looks strong there, fast around the court as well.
Jimmy Arias who comments this match on my network analysing his technical game says he is very stiff, his service is like a pizza delivery. His shots are very flat, reminiscent of Dolgopolov (his looks are strinkingly similar as well)

Yeah, hard to believe he's ranked so low alright. Kind of looks a bit like Nalby to me. He'll hopefully improve and get more consistent. Despite looking way older he's only 25 so plenty of time to get better given how many late bloomers there are these days.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Robredo's up 4-1 in set 4 now so definitely winning that match lol.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
MTO for Kyrgios' knee. Bit of a dodgy time to take it AFTER his own service game and before Seppi serves to stay in 2nd set.