Umpires should not be giving Nick Kyrgios inspirational pep talks

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I agree. Nick should have been doing his best to start with. It wasn't the umpires job to motivate him. If he noticed he was flagging & could do better than he was doing, he himself should have been the 1 putting 2 & 2 together & making changes to improve his chances of winning, nobody else.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought coaching was forbidden? Tiriac was accustomed to do that with Guilly and (later) Boom Boom but an empire ??? what a strange idea

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bernard Tomic the tank engine

:lulz1:

Listen, the umpire probably shouldn't have got out of his chair... it's not his business... but this is hardly high level coaching... as @lob said - he didn't inject him with Super PEDs.

Storm in a teacup. The ump shouldn't have got out of his chair. He did... but it's not some sort of huge deal.

Reactions: mrzz

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Mohamed faces scrutiny over his "coaching" only because Nick undergone a miraculous transformation. Funny to imagine that if Nick didn't wake up and lost (as he should) then there would be no problem with Mohamed's umpiring. But I'm not surprised at the outcome because Nick is so unpredictable in everything he does.
I think Mohamed's intention was to say something like: "Listen Nick, it's clear to me you're tanking here. If you don't stop it and do not engage in the match per ATP rules, I'll have to give you a warning". And he decided to leave his chair because the crowd was too loud and Nick, in his amok state, would not hear him. If that was what Mo said, it would hardly be coaching but rather umpiring "pre-warning". But in this case, did Mo make a mistake by delivering his "pre-warning" rather than simply a formal warning without any talk? I think he did. Even assuming that he did not want to favour Nick against umpiring rules. By delivering his pep talk, Mo has showed that he would feel uncomfortable with a possible explosive reaction by Nick to the alternative formal warning. In other words, Mo felt afraid of Nick or felt passionate for Nick, which boils down to the same mistake really: impartial umpire must not care about the feelings toward players while on duty. Of course Mo realises his mistake & he will emerge OK from the scrutiny because otherwise he's a good ump. They scold him for his mistake and he'll swear not to repeat it.. As Fed quipped during his press when asked his opinion on Mo's umpiring: "we won't see it again".

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Longtime fan of Herbert. I think he's an excellent doubles player and has the talent to be decent at singles (currently 75). Nick might have pulled it together without the pep talk from Lahayani. We will never know. It wasn't coaching, but the chair umpire should never have been down on the ground talking to the player. He received a warning from the USTA. I have no idea, why Mohamed would do such a thing.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He's just a friendly guy and always smiling. Guess he's a big Kyrgios fan and hates seeing wasted talent but he should've just told him from the chair to try harder or he'd give him a warning and possible point deduction. Pretty sure nothing would have been done here if Serena had kept her big mouth shut and now in light of the the women's final they want to make it look fair by penalizing him.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
sad for Momo, he didn't deserve that

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Mo but he deserves this. Actually the proper punishment was for him to be suspended the remainder of the USO

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's very interesting how we're looking at umpires inserting themselves, and what it means. Since the inception of Hawkeye, the role of the umpire has changed. They sit back on line calls, but have been more prominent on time violations and code violations. I do wonder if they feel the goal-posts are moving a bit, for them. I think Mo is one of the best. Maybe he's wondering why he's there. And Ramos is a great umpire, too. He was trying to be letter of the law, in a situation where pulling back a bit might have worked better. I really wouldn't be surprised if the umpires feel a bit confused right now. I feel confused for them.

Reactions: Jelenafan

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's very interesting how we're looking at umpires inserting themselves, and what it means. Since the inception of Hawkeye, the role of the umpire has changed. They sit back on line calls, but have been more prominent on time violations and code violations. I do wonder if they feel the goal-posts are moving a bit, for them. I think Mo is one of the best. Maybe he's wondering why he's there. And Ramos is a great umpire, too. He was trying to be letter of the law, in a situation where pulling back a bit might have worked better. I really wouldn't be surprised if the umpires feel a bit confused right now. I feel confused for them.

You may be right, particularly regarding the final, but in Mo's case that was just obviously wrong in every logical way possible. This would be like a quarterback throwing a few interceptions and having the head ref pump him up for a couple minutes and helping him play better. Is there any doubt what would happen if something like that happened? Any other sport and Mo would have been fired on the spot. While I'm selfishly glad he wasn't fired I wouldn't have blamed them at all if they did so.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You may be right, particularly regarding the final, but in Mo's case that was just obviously wrong in every logical way possible. This would be like a quarterback throwing a few interceptions and having the head ref pump him up for a couple minutes and helping him play better. Is there any doubt what would happen if something like that happened? Any other sport and Mo would have been fired on the spot. While I'm selfishly glad he wasn't fired I wouldn't have blamed them at all if they did so.
I think we all agree it was wrong. And we all agree that Mohamed is a great umpire. I'm just saying that their roles have become confusing as the rules have changed, as has the way they are arbitrated. Hawkeye inclines them to sit back on over-rules. The 20-25 second rule before service was very arbitrary, and now there's a shot-clock, but they still have to decide when to start it. Code violation rules change. The umpire HAS almost become less of an omniscient arbitrar than counselor. I kind of understand their confusion.

Reactions: Jelenafan

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think we all agree it was wrong. And we all agree that Mohamed is a great umpire. I'm just saying that their roles have become confusing as the rules have changed, as has the way they are arbitrated. Hawkeye inclines them to sit back on over-rules. The 20-25 second rule before service was very arbitrary, and now there's a shot-clock, but they still have to decide when to start it. Code violation rules change. The umpire HAS almost become less of an omniscient arbitrar than counselor. I kind of understand their confusion.

Their roles have changed but that has nothing to do with this incident. Some things are just common sense like don't drive with a blindfold on and if you're a chair ump that is supposedly neutral you don't give a pep talk to a struggling player.

Reactions: britbox