Trump's Presidency

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I was driving back from the airport this morning after I took my daughter to her flight home, and then I crossed with this guy, just in the middle of São Paulo. I don´t have a freaking clue what he´s doing but I am sure Trump is the cause:

IMG_20170210_104623626.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention that given the peculiar Brazilian sense of humor, this guy more than likely is mocking USA than anything else.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What's your view on the stuff that went on at Berkeley @Moxie? Milo Yiannopoulos being forced to leave without making his speech?
Protesting speakers is a time-honored university tradition, but the violence, as at NYU, has been attributed to outside agitators, anarchists. And so the speech was cancelled. I don't think there's much else to have an opinion about.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Protesting speakers is a time-honored university tradition, but the violence, as at NYU, has been attributed to outside agitators, anarchists. And so the speech was cancelled. I don't think there's much else to have an opinion about.

Weren't there a couple of members of staff involved in the anarchy at Berkeley?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Weren't there a couple of members of staff involved in the anarchy at Berkeley?
What I have read is that "none of those arrested were students." I'm guessing if they were faculty, it would have been mentioned. I did hear a brief debate on the news between 2 UC Berkeley students as to whether or not Yiannopolis should have been invited to speak. Both had considered opinions, but I, as most do, I believe, fall on the side of free speech and the right of a university to invite a variety of view points. My understanding is he will be rescheduled.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Well well well. The only way a Presidency like Trump's can work is if they brazen things out. Flynn resigning is a game changer. Vultures will circle now. He needs to moderate his teams behaviour. This has just become a normal administration and Senators like McCain become really powerful

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well well well. The only way a Presidency like Trump's can work is if they brazen things out. Flynn resigning is a game changer. Vultures will circle now. He needs to moderate his teams behaviour. This has just become a normal administration and Senators like McCain become really powerful
I wouldn't be so fast on that. Flynn resigning is a crack in the wall, but it's also a way for Trump to get out of any more analysis of the Russia connection. If they can claim they've shut down that leak, they may staunch further investigation. This is still far from a normal administration, and McCain has not just become powerful. You'd like to think it suddenly gets more palatable, but I think that's a long way coming, yet.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I wouldn't be so fast on that. Flynn resigning is a crack in the wall, but it's also a way for Trump to get out of any more analysis of the Russia connection. If they can claim they've shut down that leak, they may staunch further investigation. This is still far from a normal administration, and McCain has not just become powerful. You'd like to think it suddenly gets more palatable, but I think that's a long way coming, yet.

I meant normal purely in terms of vulnerability and accountability. So far... and this goes way back into the campaign... Trump has seemed to be made from teflon. This changes things. The normal conventions still apply. And I don't think that this is the end of the Flynn saga. After all... the acting AG warned the administration about this. There will be investigations inevitably. And worse still for Trump his attitude towards McCain has to change now. And given how slim the majority is in the senate (VP vote included of course), McCain and any other dissenting Republican Senators become extraordinarily powerful. He'd better try hard to make up behind the scenes, because if he has to do it in public it won't be a good look for the winningest President ever

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I meant normal purely in terms of vulnerability and accountability. So far... and this goes way back into the campaign... Trump has seemed to be made from teflon. This changes things. The normal conventions still apply. And I don't think that this is the end of the Flynn saga. After all... the acting AG warned the administration about this. There will be investigations inevitably. And worse still for Trump his attitude towards McCain has to change now. And given how slim the majority is in the senate (VP vote included of course), McCain and any other dissenting Republican Senators become extraordinarily powerful. He'd better try hard to make up behind the scenes, because if he has to do it in public it won't be a good look for the winningest President ever
I don't think normal conventions apply. I'd be perfectly happy to be optimistic about this, but I think it's going to take a hell of a lot more than Flynn going down to turn the tide. Remember they have "alternative facts" on their side. And the majority they need for most votes, not just cabinet selections.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think normal conventions apply. I'd be perfectly happy to be optimistic about this, but I think it's going to take a hell of a lot more than Flynn going down to turn the tide. Remember they have "alternative facts" on their side. And the majority they need for most votes, not just cabinet selections.

The funny thing about Washington is that once things like this appear, more and more Republicans will be inclined to focus on their pet projects. I agree it will probably take more than this, but normality is closer than it was before. And if the opposition is smart they'll make this a big issue as national security is a huge issue. And also one of Trump's campaign promises. It's not a good look when people at a restaurant in Florida can take pictures of Trump and his team flailing around because of a North Korean missile test. Let's not forget that the Republicans are far less united in terms of belief than even the Dems

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I had to laugh. Apparently Fox News barely covered the Flynn resignation yesterday

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I had to laugh. Apparently Fox News barely covered the Flynn resignation yesterday
In fairness, the story broke late last night. I know they have covered it today, but I can tell you how they've spun it. One thing that has come out is that Trump knew in late Jan., and didn't tell Pence for 2 weeks. Here's an interesting attempt at spin away from legal issues to "lack of trust:"

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Washington Post is right. Comey's actions are looking increasingly partisan and frankly borderline treasonous in light of all the Russia information coming out now

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Trump has banned CNN, NYTimes, LATimes, and others from the White House press briefing. Where are the Constitutional originalists on the right on this one?

Asmodeus

Futures Player
Reactions
Trump has banned CNN, NYTimes, LATimes, and others from the White House press briefing. Where are the Constitutional originalists on the right on this one?

Certainly if he banned the entire press from White House briefings then you'd be on to something. However, since he is really only banning Democrat Party media then there's really nothing to this than the outed complaining that Trump is playing politics when they in fact started the game with him. How can they expect to be treated as if nothing during the campaign happened? They essentially called him a Nazi, racist, deranged, and rapist. And now that their preferred candidate lost, they want complete access to someone they hate. Good luck with that.

Now, if he was attempting to limit the ability of the press to operate, then you'd have something to complain about. No such thing is happening. There are plenty of other media outlets gaining access. Also, those banned organizations can still print and air whatever they want.

I'm not sure constitutional originalism is even an issue here. If you openly align with a political party and are upset that you are on the outside then you either have to suck it up and deal with it or drop your political affiliation and become a politically neutral new organization. Neutral organizations always get full access.