This Year's Hall of Fame Class

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, it is now over in Cooperstown and what a class it was! You got The Big Hurt and the Maestro Maddux in the same year, with support from Glavine, Joe Torre and Bobby Cox. What a group of players--headlined by Greg Maddux, of course. Anybody out there fans of these guys? Prefer Maddux or Glavine? What did you like most about Thomas? Is this one of the best classes of inductees ever?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
This goes back to when I was more a fan of baseball than I currently am. I think it is fitting that Maddux and Glavine go in together. Quite the 2-headed monster, really a 3-headed one with Smoltz back in the 90's. Maddux was certainly the better pitcher between them and it was always amazing how he did it without the big fastball. Just amazing control and movement on his pitches.

Thomas might be the last power hitter to get in for awhile. Most of the eligible ones at this point are known or suspected juicers and others are suffering just from being in the same era as them.

Torre and Cox deserve it. They've been coaching since the colonial days after all :)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with everything you say about Maddux--my favorite pitcher of the last thirty years. He was a true pitcher, as opposed to a hurler. The Big Hurt might indeed be the last one for a while; it is terrible that McGuire, Sosa and Bonds were doing what they did whilst juicing. It really saddens me, and don't even get me started on Clemens. Good grief!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah the sad thing is they aren't letting guys in who haven't been linked to steroids at all, guys like Bagwell and Piazza. Even Biggio hasn't gotten in somehow and he is a small guy who did not hit for power. Those are three first ballot HOF'ers for sure but they are big boys (Bagwell and Piazza) who hit for a lot of power, ergo they must be like McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc. and have taken something. That's why I'm surprised Thomas would get in. I do think Griffey Jr. will get in too.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
This year's class was the Greatest Hall of Fame EVER. I am not a huge baseball fan but when Frank Thomas was up to bat, I would stop to watch his at bat every time . Frank Thomas was one of the greatest right hand hitters EVER that could hit for big power to every part of the field plus a very patience hitter who took an incredible amount of walks . Can you imagine if he would have just hit for power only, he probably would have hit 650-700 homeruns. I remember once RDPN interrupted a telecast of another sport because he had a streak where he had reached base or etc maybe something like 16-18 times in a row. Frank was a brilliant hitter. Greg Maddox was the best control pitcher Ever and thank God the Cubs were stupid enough to let him leave as a free agent.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maddux and The Big Hurt--they alone make a helluva class. I am glad there are folks around here who appreciate true baseball greats.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DarthFed Other Sports 692
britbox Other Sports 2