• Murray - done

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Murray - a big title still in him

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some top players have been seriously injured in the past few years. People are acting like Thiem is done. Zverev had bad injury. What are his chances? Just curious as to what people are thinking about the more wounded of the top players. Particularly interested what people think about Thiem and Zverev, but I added others to the poll.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The poll choices are too extreme, IMO. I don’t think Zverev is done, but I also don’t think he has a major or more in him. Something in between seems more likely.

As for Thiem, it depends on what you mean by “has big titles left in him, but no Majors” — by “big titles” do you mean Masters 1000s? Or would a 500 count? The latter is what I can imagine happening, but probably not the former.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I guess the poll was a bit of a lazy tack-on. I'm just really curious esp. about Thiem and Zverev. Interestingly, Murray v. Zverev at Qatar us just starting, so 2 of the walking wounded playing each other.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The poll choices are too extreme, IMO. I don’t think Zverev is done, but I also don’t think he has a major or more in him. Something in between seems more likely.

As for Thiem, it depends on what you mean by “has big titles left in him, but no Majors” — by “big titles” do you mean Masters 1000s? Or would a 500 count? The latter is what I can imagine happening, but probably not the former.
That was my thought, at least after "no f-ing idea." I really don't know what to think, to be honest -- mostly because I haven't looked too deeply into their injuries, and what the historic precedents are.

My gut says that Thiem will never return to his peak form of 2018-20ish. On the other hand, he could do a Del Potro, who came back in 2011-13ish, then again in 2016-18ish, even winning a Masters in 2018. But I think the tour is also a bit different now, with more young and hungry pups than five years ago. Thiem also turns 30 this year. I think most likely he doesn't win a big title, but it is possible.

As for Sascha, he's young enough (turning 26 in April) that he has time to recover and still have some years in his prime to win big titles, even a Slam. He's an X-Factor.

Murray...done, but he's been done--at least as far as big titles are concerned--for five years. But I'd love to see him surprise us, and for me the fairy tale story would be winning London and then retiring hoisting the trophy.

Rafa...who knows. The guy turns 37 this year, and has been slipping downward for a couple years, as far as Elo. So the cracks are showing, even if the "vase" hasn't broken apart yet. Can he hold it together long enough to win another Slam for two? I've long learned not to count him out, so who knows. But for him, it is more of a near-future thing, and I wouldn't speculate long-term. So I'm going to wait and see with clay season; I see no reason that, if healthy, he shouldn't still be the player to beat, though as of this moment, I'd put Novak ahead of him for RG. But that could change, depending upon how Rafa looks in the early clay tournaments.

p.s. to tented: I think she means Masters but not 500, which are not considered "big titles."

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was my thought, at least after "no f-ing idea." I really don't know what to think, to be honest -- mostly because I haven't looked too deeply into their injuries, and what the historic precedents are.

My gut says that Thiem will never return to his peak form of 2018-20ish. On the other hand, he could do a Del Potro, who came back in 2011-13ish, then again in 2016-18ish, even winning a Masters in 2018. But I think the tour is also a bit different now, with more young and hungry pups than five years ago. Thiem also turns 30 this year. I think most likely he doesn't win a big title, but it is possible.

As for Sascha, he's young enough (turning 26 in April) that he has time to recover and still have some years in his prime to win big titles, even a Slam. He's an X-Factor.

Murray...done, but he's been done--at least as far as big titles are concerned--for five years. But I'd love to see him surprise us, and for me the fairy tale story would be winning London and then retiring hoisting the trophy.

Rafa...who knows. The guy turns 37 this year, and has been slipping downward for a couple years, as far as Elo. So the cracks are showing, even if the "vase" hasn't broken apart yet. Can he hold it together long enough to win another Slam for two? I've long learned not to count him out, so who knows. But for him, it is more of a near-future thing, and I wouldn't speculate long-term. So I'm going to wait and see with clay season; I see no reason that, if healthy, he shouldn't still be the player to beat, though as of this moment, I'd put Novak ahead of him for RG. But that could change, depending upon how Rafa looks in the early clay tournaments.

p.s. to tented: I think she means Masters but not 500, which are not considered "big titles."
Yes, I mean MS and maybe YEC when I say "big titles."

I pretty much agree re: Thiem, and it's a bit hard to watch. Like DelPo, he seems to have too little confidence in the wrist, along with (or leading to) too little confidence in his game.

As to Zed, I also agree he's young, even though it was a terrible injury. I think one thing I wonder is if it will help him recommit with some humility, having seen a bit of fragility in his body. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: tented and El Dude

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, I mean MS and maybe YEC when I say "big titles."

I pretty much agree re: Thiem, and it's a bit hard to watch. Like DelPo, he seems to have too little confidence in the wrist, along with (or leading to) too little confidence in his game.

As to Zed, I also agree he's young, even though it was a terrible injury. I think one thing I wonder is it will help him recommit with some humility, having seen a bit of fragility in his body. We shall see.
I have more faith in Sasha finding form than Thiem, he has been competitive in sets of tennis I have seen since he has returned to tennis, he lacks match play, which is understandable, he played a good 2nd set against Murray yesterday winning 62, though could not go on with it in the 3rd and final set.
To me Thiem has to go back to challenger circuit again, to actually win a tournament, I know the challenger circuit isnt easy, he has also used up his PR ranking, he was given a WC at the AO, being a former finalist, going out in the 1st rd, and now a WC to IW, former champion, going back to challenger circuit he has a chance to build up his ranking, gain confidence at present he is a former shadow of himself.

Reactions: Moxie