The Strain

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I am very excited about this Tv series that is going to start on July 13. This is based on Guillermo Del Toro's and Chuck Hogan's trilogy. I loved the books and they were written very cinematically. I am sure that was Del Toro's influence and I am sure he always envisioned this as a movie or a tv series.

Premise:

A plane lands at John F. Kennedy International Airport with the lights off and doors sealed. Epidemiologist Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Stoll) and his team are sent to investigate. On board they find two hundred corpses and four survivors. The situation deteriorates when the bodies begin disappearing from morgues. Goodweather and a small group of helpers find themselves battling to protect not only their own loved ones, but the entire city, from an ancient threat to humanity.

It is a vampire story , but nothing like romanticized stuff that is popular these days.

I hope the tv series will be as good as the books, or maybe better.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Sounds great! Zombies and vampires are huge right now. Vampires were traditionally a metaphor for illicit sex. Power and secrecy and surrender. We saw how good Coppola's Dracula was, the blood on the screen, how alluring - in an era where HIV was a recent arrival. Sex had become literally deadly. There's a great French TV show, The Returned, which isn't vamps but zombies, but very intelligent and new. They have showers, make love, eat food.

The Strain sounds like it has an interesting premise...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Has anyone been watching it? I saw the first 3-4 episodes. (No spoilers. Promise!)

I liked the pilot: lots of intrigue, mysterious characters and objects, just enough supernatural goings-on to make it fun, but not ridiculous. But then I stopped after the first few because it did become ridiculous. Very disappointing after such a promising start. Perhaps I'll go back, and binge watch the entire season when it's done. Maybe it would be better that way.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I am still watching it. It has gotten more interesting for me in the last 3-4 episodes where we get into Setrakian's past in the Nazi Camps, how he survived, what he saw etc...Also the story of Thomas Eichorst as the Nazi commander, how he became the Master's right hand , so to speak.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I am still watching it. It has gotten more interesting for me in the last 3-4 episodes where we get into Setrakian's past in the Nazi Camps, how he survived, what he saw etc...Also the story of Thomas Eichorst as the Nazi commander, how he became the Master's right hand , so to speak.

That does sound interesting. I gave up too soon.