The Movie Reel

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure if all classify as war movies:

The Deer Hunter (1978) - One of my favorite movies in general, starring John Cazale too.
Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Kubrick
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Das Boot (1981) - WWII from a U-boat.

and some from 2000s,

Jarhead (2005)
Hurtlocker (2008)

Thin Red Line is a fantastic movie too, I really loved that one.

Apocalypse Now - I have to watch it again @tented . I think I was too young to fully understand it at the time. I often find that as I grow older and in some way wiser, then I give some movie another chance and find out it is actually great.

Some nice suggestions by both of you. Thnx.
those are all great! I would add Where Eagles dare.

And then... there are some movies which are more fantasy but have a certain aspect to them that makes me want to offer them..... Inglorious Bastards and this will shock some... Starship Troopers. There's a certain quality to it which gives an angle on the life and relationships of soldiers that jibes, even if it's fantasy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
“Apocalypse Now” is the best. Or at least the most artistic. “Heart of Darkness”, the documentary about the making of “Apocalypse Now” is also well worth watching. I can’t imagine having been there as Coppola made this.

“The Thin Red Line” - Terrance Malick’s masterpiece, loaded with great performances and, of course, cinematography.

“The Grand Illusion” - the 1936 film by Jean Renoir about WWI. I rewatched this again earlier this year. Even though it’s about 90 years old, and about a war from over a century ago, it holds up perfectly.

“Paths of Glory” - Stanley Kubrick‘s movie about WWI is one of the all-time great films, not just among war films.
I'm glad you brought up "The Grand Illusion" and "Paths of Glory." As I mentioned, I haven't really worked on my own list, but "Grand Illusion" did come to mind. Hadn't thought of the Kubrick one, but also great pick. It's been a while since I've seen either one. "Grand Illusion" is considered a great anti-war film, and doesn't have battle scenes, which leads to my follow up question, about great films set during wartime, but not set on the field of battle, or focused on soldiers.

I do not know how I've never seen "The Thin Red Line," but now it's back on the list.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not sure if all classify as war movies:

The Deer Hunter (1978) - One of my favorite movies in general, starring John Cazale too.
Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Kubrick
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Das Boot (1981) - WWII from a U-boat.

and some from 2000s,

Jarhead (2005)
Hurtlocker (2008)

Thin Red Line is a fantastic movie too, I really loved that one.

Apocalypse Now - I have to watch it again @tented . I think I was too young to fully understand it at the time. I often find that as I grow older and in some way wiser, then I give some movie another chance and find out it is actually great.

Some nice suggestions by both of you. Thnx.
Also great nominations! And they're definitely war films. I have never seen "Jarhead," so I'll look for that one. I'm glad you mentioned "Hurtlocker," which is a tough and heartbreaking film. And Das Boot...haven't seen that one in years, but excellent addition to the list. I actually haven't had the heart to see "Deerhunter" in years, but it is a very great film. Love Bridge on the River Kwai. That was also one in my mind when I asked the question.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
those are all great! I would add Where Eagles dare.

And then... there are some movies which are more fantasy but have a certain aspect to them that makes me want to offer them..... Inglorious Bastards and this will shock some... Starship Troopers. There's a certain quality to it which gives an angle on the life and relationships of soldiers that jibes, even if it's fantasy.
"Where Eagles Dare" is another one I had in mind when I posed the question. I thought it might come up. That's one I can watch over and over.

"Starship Troopers" is a film that has gained in reputation over the years. (You get bonus points for originality on that choice. :face-with-tears-of-joy: ) I've never seen it. I'll try to find it. I think "Inglorious Basterds" is a fine war film, too.

Reactions: Federberg

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought I'd add "Spartacus," to get it out of 20th/21st C. wars. Which I realize is also Kubrick. And I was going to add "Dr. Strangelove," as an out-of-the-box choice, which is also Kubrick. I would certainly never have thought of him as a war-film director, but he's made a lot of them, and great ones.

Some films I love that are set during wartime, but not focused on battle or soldiers:

Casablanca
To Be or Not to Be - the original with Benny and Lombard
M*A*S*H
The Imitation Game

To name a few. I plead guilty to being a little obsessed with WWII, though.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Casablanca
To Be or Not to Be - the original with Benny and Lombard
M*A*S*H
Casablanca I only watched partly on TV at some point in my life. Time to watch that one properly. I heard about M.A.S.H, it is a comedy I think and did they make TV series as well? Other movies I haven't heard about, but will add to the watch list.
The Imitation Game
This is a great movie. British can make good war movies too. One that I loved also is The Darkest Hour (2017), starring Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill. He was outstanding in that role.
I plead guilty to being a little obsessed with WWII, though.
There is so much to be told about it, one the reasons why they made so many movies.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Casablanca I only watched partly on TV at some point in my life. Time to watch that one properly. '
Indeed it is! You have a treat in store for you. All-time classic!
I heard about M.A.S.H, it is a comedy I think and did they make TV series as well? Other movies I haven't heard about, but will add to the watch list.
The film is great, and so is the series. Both are very dark comedies. The series is amazing!
This is a great movie. British can make good war movies too. One that I loved also is The Darkest Hour (2017), starring Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill. He was outstanding in that role.

There is so much to be told about it, one the reasons why they made so many movies.
I agree with you about WWII...so much to be said, and told. The war in Europe, in the Pacific, in Africa; the Holocaust; fascism v democracy. The spies, the Bomb. You can endlessly mine it for history, and for human frailty and heroism.

Reactions: don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm happy to hear more suggestions for war movies, especially war-adjacent, like spy thrillers, etc.

Meantime, 'tis the season! Christmas movies?

Which ones do you love? I may have seen "It's a Wonderful Life" as many times as I can stand...or maybe not.

I love "Scrooged!" I watch it every year. (I also love Mr. McGoo's A Christmas Carol, but that may be too arcane.)

Yes, "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. And a great action movie.

My mother put me on to "Love, Actually," which was recently mentioned.

"Elf" has jumped to the top of my list of favorite Christmas movies, too. Will Ferrell is very funny. It has Bob Newhart, and a great rendition of "Baby it's cold outside," which seems enough, right there.

Oh, and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"...the animated one, not the remake.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Casablanca I only watched partly on TV at some point in my life. Time to watch that one properly.

I rewatched it about a year ago, and fell in love with it all over again. Yes, many cliches can be traced back to it, but there’s a reason they became cliches. And part of the fun is seeing their source. The atmosphere, the tension, the actors/actresses, the scenery — everything is pretty much perfect.

I heard about M.A.S.H, it is a comedy I think and did they make TV series as well? Other movies I haven't heard about, but will add to the watch list.

The original film was directed by Robert Altman — a great director, who made several masterpieces, including M*A*S*H, but also Nashville, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Player, and Gosford Park, among others.

I went off on Gary Oldman in the 80s, but have rediscovered him over the last decade or so. Now I look forward to seeing him. His short scene in Oppenheimer was one of the most memorable parts of the film. I even like him in the Batman movies! His performance in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was one of his best — right up there with The Darkest Hour.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I'm happy to hear more suggestions for war movies, especially war-adjacent, like spy thrillers, etc.

Meantime, 'tis the season! Christmas movies?

Which ones do you love? I may have seen "It's a Wonderful Life" as many times as I can stand...or maybe not.

I love "Scrooged!" I watch it every year. (I also love Mr. McGoo's A Christmas Carol, but that may be too arcane.)

Yes, "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. And a great action movie.

My mother put me on to "Love, Actually," which was recently mentioned.

"Elf" has jumped to the top of my list of favorite Christmas movies, too. Will Ferrell is very funny. It has Bob Newhart, and a great rendition of "Baby it's cold outside," which seems enough, right there.

Oh, and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"...the animated one, not the remake.

Now, I can join in with Christmas films if you don't mind.

1. A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sims as Scrooge though I love both the 1935 version & Patrick Stewart's version
2. White Christmas
3. Holiday Inn
4. If I can class "Meet me in St. Louis" this goes in this spot.
5. A Christmas Carol 1935 version
6. A Christmas Carol Patrick Stewart's version.
7. The Home Alone films.
8. It's a wonderful life.
9. If I can class "Little Women" as a Xmas film, this goes here.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Now, I can join in with Christmas films if you don't mind.

1. A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sims as Scrooge though I love both the 1935 version & Patrick Stewart's version

The 1951 version with Alistair Sims is a great version, and I also love the 1938 version (with Reginald Owen and Gene Lockhart)

2. White Christmas
3. Holiday Inn

I love Holiday Inn — it’s among my favorite Christmas movies. White Christmas is a retelling of Holiday Inn, but the original is better, IMO.

4. If I can class "Meet me in St. Louis" this goes in this spot.

This is also a remake of another film: The Shop on the Corner, from 1940, starring James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, directed by Ernst Lubitsch. I highly recommend it, if you haven’t seen it. It’s my favorite Christmas movie.

Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

Horsa

Reactions
The 1951 version with Alistair Sims is a great version, and I also love the 1938 version (with Reginald Owen and Gene Lockhart)

I love Holiday Inn — it’s among my favorite Christmas movies. White Christmas is a retelling of Holiday Inn, but the original is better, IMO.

This is also a remake of another film: The Shop on the Corner, from 1940, starring James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, directed by Ernst Lubitsch. I highly recommend it, if you haven’t seen it. It’s my favorite Christmas movie.
I haven't seen the 1938 version of Scrooge. Thank you very much for mentioning it. I'll have to see it. (I love the serious versions of Scrooge as well as the book. The best thing about the musical version of Scrooge for me is the songs.)

Just a slight difference of opinion about the films with the song "White Xmas" in them. I love the song. There are other good songs in the films but that's my favourite.

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I haven't seen that film either.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I haven't seen the 1938 version of Scrooge. Thank you very much for mentioning it. I'll have to see it. (I love the serious versions of Scrooge as well as the book. The best thing about the musical version of Scrooge for me is the songs.)

Just a slight difference of opinion about the films with the song "White Xmas" in them. I love the song. There are other good songs in the films but that's my favourite.

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I haven't seen that film either.
I just realized I wrote the wrong title for the Jimmy Stewart film. It’s “The Shop Around the Corner

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
I just realized I wrote the wrong title for the Jimmy Stewart film. It’s “The Shop Around the Corner
Thank you very much. I'll have to see if I can get to see that.

(I just realized I missed a Xmas film off my list. Carry on Christmas comes in at No. 10. What I like about that one is when everyone's speaking in rhyme in the panto including Barbara Windsor as Cinders. I think the writing for the complete panto in rhyme is very good.)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Dunno if Dunkirk got mentioned but it’s a very fine film, captures the heroism of ordinary British folks in responding to the frightening prospects of annihilation.

My favourite Christmas films lately are Coco, Soul, and a bunch of Pixar flicks, plus also the remakes of The Lion King and The Jungle Book…

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I had no idea there's so many good old Christmas movies dating back to 1930s and that there is so many remakes of these originals too. Like Miracle on 34th street, I've never seen the original version of it.

"It's a wonderful life" is the best I can think of that I know, but my list is kinda short.

I agree with you @Moxie that "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. "Love Actually" is every year on TV in my country around Christmas and Valentine's Day, hard to miss it.

Does "Batman Returns" classify as Christmas movie? And then there is a "Bad Santa". "Ice Age" is shown a lot around Christmas time in my place.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
I had no idea there's so many good old Christmas movies dating back to 1930s and that there is so many remakes of these originals too. Like Miracle on 34th street, I've never seen the original version of it.

"It's a wonderful life" is the best I can think of that I know, but my list is kinda short.

I agree with you @Moxie that "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. "Love Actually" is every year on TV in my country around Christmas and Valentine's Day, hard to miss it.

Does "Batman Returns" classify as Christmas movie? And then there is a "Bad Santa". "Ice Age" is shown a lot around Christmas time in my place.
Miracle on 34th Street is a good 1.

I don't care for "Bad Santa".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I rewatched it about a year ago, and fell in love with it all over again. Yes, many cliches can be traced back to it, but there’s a reason they became cliches. And part of the fun is seeing their source. The atmosphere, the tension, the actors/actresses, the scenery — everything is pretty much perfect.

The original film was directed by Robert Altman — a great director, who made several masterpieces, including M*A*S*H, but also Nashville, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Player, and Gosford Park, among others.

I went off on Gary Oldman in the 80s, but have rediscovered him over the last decade or so. Now I look forward to seeing him. His short scene in Oppenheimer was one of the most memorable parts of the film. I even like him in the Batman movies! His performance in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was one of his best — right up there with The Darkest Hour.
You snuck in a lot of great films in this post!

I 100% agree that "Casablanca" is basically a perfect film. I never get tired of it.

Robert Altman...so many great films mentioned there. I think you picked the best ones.

And you slipped in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," which is a fantastic film, and not just for Gary Oldman.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks to all for the contributions to the Christmas films. I didn't bring in the old ones, because I figured everyone else would. Happy Christmas viewing, and I hope this gets you in the holiday spirit. :)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I saw Ken Loach's (possibly) last film yesterday - The Old Oak.

A poignant clash of Civilizations and cultures - the "deplorables" - what many now call the disenfranchised working class, and Syrian immigrants from a war zone. Based in a mining town of North East England. Quite a touching movie giving plenty of food for thought, particularly in the modern climate.

Reactions: tented