DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Brady
Manning

It's a tough list and there are no right or wrong answers but you have to put a lot of weight on winning (which puts Marino just out of my top 5). Meanwhile Troy Aikman and Terry Bradshaw had amazing teams around them and actually had fairly average stats despite winning multiple rings. Stats aren't everything of course but they tell us a lot. It's tough for me to even have Manning at #5 because he has been so poor in the postseason. Same reason Favre isn't there, as a Packer fan I watched playoff disaster after playoff disaster the last ten years of his career.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
DarthFed said:
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Brady
Manning

It's a tough list and there are no right or wrong answers but you have to put a lot of weight on winning (which puts Marino just out of my top 5). Meanwhile Troy Aikman and Terry Bradshaw had amazing teams around them and actually had fairly average stats despite winning multiple rings. Stats aren't everything of course but they tell us a lot. It's tough for me to even have Manning at #5 because he has been so poor in the postseason. Same reason Favre isn't there, as a Packer fan I watched playoff disaster after playoff disaster the last ten years of his career.

Even though I'm in Chicago, I still have a lot of admiration for Rodgers and don't mind his winning; except if he plays the Bears of course! I see him being greater than Favre quite easily; just give him time! Favre wasted so many years just inflating his stats llike Tarkenton and Marino! Good luck up there!

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Montana seems to be on quite a few lists. he was really tough in the clutch.

what about steve young?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:
Montana seems to be on quite a few lists. he was really tough in the clutch.

what about steve young?

Good mention. He is likely to be in a lot of top 10's but not quite on the top 5 list.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
DarthFed said:
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Brady
Manning

Even though I'm in Chicago, I still have a lot of admiration for Rodgers and don't mind his winning; except if he plays the Bears of course! I see him being greater than Favre quite easily; just give him time! Favre wasted so many years just inflating his stats llike Tarkenton and Marino! Good luck up there!

I can't wish you guys good luck but thanks for the generous post. Rodgers definitely has the potential to pass Favre and pretty much everyone else who has ever played but there is a long way to go. I will be surprised and very disappointed if the Packers don't win at least 1 more ring with that man at the helm. The last 2 years have been blown opportunities with Rodgers in his prime. As long as that defense sucks it will continue to be the same story. Defense doesn't necessarily win championships but good luck winning one if you have a weak D.

Favre in his prime was an absolute monster but he had a lot of bad years and he had a lot of bad playoff chokes. Great QB overall and he is the toughest SOB I've seen at any position. That also is a new worry for Packer fans, we are not used to having a normal human at QB that can actually get hurt...

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Clay Death said:
Elway was one hell of a passer.

I didn't realize it was Reeves who stifled Elway all those years! I had a real problem with him after that lame excuse when drafted by Baltimore in '83! Only him and Eli Manning have acted with that kind of arrogance; "I'm not gonna play for you!" I applauded what was happening to him, being abused by the Raiders and KC for a lot of that time, only picking up 2 SB's in his waning years! He should have had more, but I cursed him for his rotten, egotistical attitude! I took it off for Shanahan's sake after KC had passed, around the time Derrick Thomas was killed in Atlanta, SB weekend! It was put back on when Tebow was on the team! I truly can't stand that guy! No talent, but thinks he's Gawd's gift to football! Now he's wandering the league as a backup QB! Why hasn't he been murdered out there on the field? :snigger :laydownlaughing :clap

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't really like Elway but he does have 2 rings and he was one of the best long ball passers I ever saw.

I never saw lamonica (#3) of Oakland raiders. they used to call him the mad member.

I hear that he threw one hell of a long ball in his day which was 1000 years ago.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Brady
Manning & Young

IMO it's a tie between Young and Manning because Young's passer rating was/is off the charts even though he spent so much time being injured. I remember all those Frisco beatdowns against the Bears.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roethlisberger is the best quarterback of all time in my opinion. It's amazing how he is always excluded from the Manning-Brady-Brees-Rodgers group based simply on numbers. Roethlisberger has never been in the type of inflate-your-numbers passing system that the designated "Big 4" of NFL quarterbacks have, and Roethlisberger's receivers have been awful aside from his rookie year when he had Burress.

Roethlisberger is better than all of the guys in this era, and all of the other guys listed on this thread. He can do all the drop-back robot throws, in addition to improvising and making plays with his feet, which neither Manning nor Brady can do (and this is why, I should add, that Eli has two Super Bowls to Peyton's one, even though Peyton has played many more seasons).

As for pure quarterback talent, I would perhaps give a slight edge to Vick over Roethlisberger as the most talented of all time, but I'm not sure about that.

However, as far as consistency and excellence, Roethlisberger is definitely the best. His receivers have been absolutely terrible and he has played in a cold-weather city for a running-game organization. To get such terrible receivers to three Super Bowls and so many playoff appearances shows unbelievable talent.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
calitennis127 said:
Roethlisberger is the best quarterback of all time in my opinion. It's amazing how he is always excluded from the Manning-Brady-Brees-Rodgers group based simply on numbers. Roethlisberger has never been in the type of inflate-your-numbers passing system that the designated "Big 4" of NFL quarterbacks have, and Roethlisberger's receivers have been awful aside from his rookie year when he had Burress.

Roethlisberger is better than all of the guys in this era, and all of the other guys listed on this thread. He can do all the drop-back robot throws, in addition to improvising and making plays with his feet, which neither Manning nor Brady can do (and this is why, I should add, that Eli has two Super Bowls to Peyton's one, even though Peyton has played many more seasons).

As for pure quarterback talent, I would perhaps give a slight edge to Vick over Roethlisberger as the most talented of all time, but I'm not sure about that.However, as far as consistency and excellence, Roethlisberger is definitely the best. His receivers have been absolutely terrible and he has played in a cold-weather city for a running-game organization. To get such terrible receivers to three Super Bowls and so many playoff appearances shows unbelievable talent.

:laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing :laydownlaughing

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Cali is looking for attention here...at least I hope that's what this is because otherwise this is even more absurd than Nalbandian. Pitt has always had an awesome defense around Raper Ben and has mostly had an elite running game (thus why they run so much) but I'm guessing you forgot to mention that. That said I actually agree in part that Roethlisberger does get underappreciated but part of that is due to him clearly being below the top 3-4 QB's in the league.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Cali is looking for attention here...at least I hope that's what this is because otherwise this is even more absurd than Nalbandian. Pitt has always had an awesome defense around Raper Ben and has mostly had an elite running game (thus why they run so much) but I'm guessing you forgot to mention that. That said I actually agree in part that Roethlisberger does get underappreciated but part of that is due to him clearly being below the top 3-4 QB's in the league.

No, I am absolutely not "looking for attention here".

Roethlisberger's receivers have been absolutely awful. He has made them look like a respectable and even Top 10 receiving corps at times during his time, which is incredible:

- Mike Wallace is an awkward, coordination-deficient ball-catcher who is good for a home run play and little else. As a friend of mine who plays football has remarked, Wallace often catches the ball with his pads, like a high school player. If football was just about sprints, then he would be outstanding. Unfortunately for him, it isn't. He doesn't make catches in traffic, he doesn't use his hands well, he is sleight of frame, he doesn't adjust well to the ball, and he never catches a fade route. He is awkward as a receiver. I expect him to be the same type of flop that Asomugha ($12 million per year) was in Philadelphia or that Holmes ($10 million per year) has largely been in New York.

- Holmes is the best receiver Roethlisberger has had besides Burress, which is sad. I will give Holmes credit for being a good improviser and looking to hit big plays when things break down. But his route-running is very sloppy and he is too small in stature and not sharp enough as a route runner to be anything close to a #1. That final drive in the Super Bowl against Arizona was more about Roethlisberger's amazing pump-fakes than Holmes doing anything special. I will give Holmes credit for the TD catch, but the rest of the drive was all Roethlisberger and Holmes was awful for the entire game up to that point. As with Wallace, Roethlisberger made Holmes's reputation what it is.

- Hines Ward was halfway decent over the middle and running what are basically tight end routes. But being short and in his last 5 or 6 years slow, he was even more average than he had been prior.

- Antonio Brown is a good route-runner but is simply too small to be anything approximating a serious #1 or #2 receiver in the NFL.

- Emmanuel Sanders isn't as polished as Brown and he is even smaller.

The Steelers have had a receiving corps that was basically one of the worst 5 in the NFL the last 10 years in terms of talent and Roethlisberger made them look respectable - which is, again, incredible. Holmes and Wallace owe their big contracts to his improvisation and his talent making plays outside the pocket.

Often it is said that "Big Ben holds the ball too long" or that "Big Ben doesn't trust his receivers". That is because they have been too small, too unskilled, too awkward, and/or too slow to get open on conventional routes. As a result, Big Ben has done the sane thing and held on to the ball in order to give them second and third chances to get open. You can't throw it right off the dropback when you know that Wallace can't adjust to a pass in traffic or that Brown, Ward, Sanders, and Miller are draped due to being too small and/or too slow.

What Big Ben has done with that collection of receivers really has to make him the best quarterback of this era. It truly is astonishing.

I mean - look at Flacco. He has had Torrey Smith, Boldin, and Pitta. If Roethlisberger had receivers of that caliber, his team would, uh, go 15-1. We know that from his rookie season - when he had a serious receiver in Burress. Unfortunately, Steelers management opted not to keep Plaxico. It is unfortunate because Big Ben and Burress were magical together. The game in the 2004 regular season when they lit up the then-undefeated Patriots (who were, I think, 7-0) was an awesome display of QB-wide receiver chemistry only rivaled by such duos as Brady and Moss.

DarthFed said:
Pitt has always had an awesome defense around Raper Ben and has mostly had an elite running game (thus why they run so much) but I'm guessing you forgot to mention that.

As someone who has watched the Steelers a ton over the past decade, I can definitely say that the defense was not "awesome". It was very good overall, and it had some great moments, but the main reason for the extent of success the Steelers have had in the past decade is Roethlisberger. He has won a HUGE number of close games with late-game drives and heroics. The defense may have kept the games close, but it was Roethlisberger who won them so many times that people began to take it for granted.

Also, the Steelers running game has been very good, but "mostly elite" is not an accurate characterization. It has never been anything unique. Simply having a guy get over 1,000 does not make you a terrific running team. And besides, the Steelers haven't had a 1,000-yard rusher in 3 seasons.

DarthFed said:
I actually agree in part that Roethlisberger does get underappreciated but part of that is due to him clearly being below the top 3-4 QB's in the league.

Oh really. Why is he "clearly below the top 3-4 QB's in the league"? Please give me one good reason.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
DarthFed said:

No, I am absolutely not "looking for attention here".

Roethlisberger's receivers have been absolutely awful. He has made them look like a respectable and even Top 10 receiving corps at times during his time, which is incredible:

- Mike Wallace is an awkward, coordination-deficient ball-catcher who is good for a home run play and little else. As a friend of mine who plays football has remarked, Wallace often catches the ball with his pads, like a high school player. If football was just about sprints, then he would be outstanding. Unfortunately for him, it isn't. He doesn't make catches in traffic, he doesn't use his hands well, he is sleight of frame, he doesn't adjust well to the ball, and he never catches a fade route. He is awkward as a receiver. I expect him to be the same type of flop that Asomugha ($12 million per year) was in Philadelphia or that Holmes ($10 million per year) has largely been in New York.

- Holmes is the best receiver Roethlisberger has had besides Burress, which is sad. I will give Holmes credit for being a good improviser and looking to hit big plays when things break down. But his route-running is very sloppy and he is too small in stature and not sharp enough as a route runner to be anything close to a #1. That final drive in the Super Bowl against Arizona was more about Roethlisberger's amazing pump-fakes than Holmes doing anything special. I will give Holmes credit for the TD catch, but the rest of the drive was all Roethlisberger and Holmes was awful for the entire game up to that point. As with Wallace, Roethlisberger made Holmes's reputation what it is.

- Hines Ward was halfway decent over the middle and running what are basically tight end routes. But being short and in his last 5 or 6 years slow, he was even more average than he had been prior.

- Antonio Brown is a good route-runner but is simply too small to be anything approximating a serious #1 or #2 receiver in the NFL.

- Emmanuel Sanders isn't as polished as Brown and he is even smaller.

The Steelers have had a receiving corps that was basically one of the worst 5 in the NFL the last 10 years in terms of talent and Roethlisberger made them look respectable - which is, again, incredible. Holmes and Wallace owe their big contracts to his improvisation and his talent making plays outside the pocket.

Often it is said that "Big Ben holds the ball too long" or that "Big Ben doesn't trust his receivers". That is because they have been too small, too unskilled, too awkward, and/or too slow to get open on conventional routes. As a result, Big Ben has done the sane thing and held on to the ball in order to give them second and third chances to get open. You can't throw it right off the dropback when you know that Wallace can't adjust to a pass in traffic or that Brown, Ward, Sanders, and Miller are draped due to being too small and/or too slow.

What Big Ben has done with that collection of receivers really has to make him the best quarterback of this era. It truly is astonishing.

I mean - look at Flacco. He has had Torrey Smith, Boldin, and Pitta. If Roethlisberger had receivers of that caliber, his team would, uh, go 15-1. We know that from his rookie season - when he had a serious receiver in Burress. Unfortunately, Steelers management opted not to keep Plaxico. It is unfortunate because Big Ben and Burress were magical together. The game in the 2004 regular season when they lit up the then-undefeated Patriots (who were, I think, 7-0) was an awesome display of QB-wide receiver chemistry only rivaled by such duos as Brady and Moss.

DarthFed said:
Pitt has always had an awesome defense around Raper Ben and has mostly had an elite running game (thus why they run so much) but I'm guessing you forgot to mention that.

As someone who has watched the Steelers a ton over the past decade, I can definitely say that the defense was not "awesome". It was very good overall, and it had some great moments, but the main reason for the extent of success the Steelers have had in the past decade is Roethlisberger. He has won a HUGE number of close games with late-game drives and heroics. The defense may have kept the games close, but it was Roethlisberger who won them so many times that people began to take it for granted.

Also, the Steelers running game has been very good, but "mostly elite" is not an accurate characterization. It has never been anything unique. Simply having a guy get over 1,000 does not make you a terrific running team. And besides, the Steelers haven't had a 1,000-yard rusher in 3 seasons.

DarthFed said:
I actually agree in part that Roethlisberger does get underappreciated but part of that is due to him clearly being below the top 3-4 QB's in the league.

Oh really. Why is he "clearly below the top 3-4 QB's in the league"? Please give me one good reason.

Because the other QB's are Rodgers, Brady, Manning and Brees. Guys who are just flat out better passers than Roethlisberger and in Rodgers' case he is just as mobile and is absolutely insane when passing on the run.

Do you see Ben doing what Manning did in Denver this past season? Going to a new team after 4 neck surgeries (or whatever it was) with slightly above average talent and turning them into the #1 seed in the AFC. Brady's receivers for much of his career haven't been anything special but we see what he does when he does have good talent around him.

I will give you that Ben is a clutch qb and he is someone that figures to be a borderline hall of famer when all is said and done. But you called him THE BEST QB EVER :huh:

And by the way I just looked up the Steelers defensive ranks every year he has been in the league and the only 2 years the defense has ranked outside the top 10 the Steelers have missed the playoffs. Go ahead and compare that to Rodgers.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
good one calitennis.

what else have you got mate?

maybe I need to grab some popcorn and have a seat. this could get amusing.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Because the other QB's are Rodgers, Brady, Manning and Brees. Guys who are just flat out better passers than Roethlisberger

Oh really? Why is that? Because they have played in pass-heavy systems with either a robotic, quick-hitting style that amplifies stats and/or a great group of receivers, while Roethlisberger has had neither at his disposal?

Look at this 503-yard performance Roethlisberger had in 2009 in a win over Rodgers. Please tell me that he can't pass as well as the acclaimed Big 4, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz8z8vXYxZY

DarthFed said:
and in Rodgers' case he is just as mobile and is absolutely insane when passing on the run.

I will grant you that Rodgers is quick and fast, but he is not as good of a runner as Roethlisberger, nor is he as good at getting away from the rush and making something happen; that's not to say Rodgers isn't great in his own way at that - it is simply to say that he isn't as good as Roethlisberger, whose improvisation and ability to avoid pressure are in a class by themselves.

DarthFed said:
Do you see Ben doing what Manning did in Denver this past season?

Roethlisberger could absolutely do that.

And, if you want to go that route, I can point at something Roethlisberger has done that Manning did not do. In Roethlisberger's rookie year, when he had a real receiver in Burress, he led the Steelers to a 15-1 record. In Manning's rookie year, the Colts were dreadful.

DarthFed said:
Going to a new team after 4 neck surgeries (or whatever it was) with slightly above average talent and turning them into the #1 seed in the AFC.

Lol....Demarryius Thomas is a much more talented receiver than anyone Roethlisberger has had since he had Burress in his rookie season. Plus, Decker is not a shabby #2. Plus, Manning's playing style is heavily predicated on timing and rhythm to an almost robotic degree, and that isn't all that hard a thing for any team to adapt to if they sign someone like Manning.

DarthFed said:
Brady's receivers for much of his career haven't been anything special but we see what he does when he does have good talent around him.

Moss as well as the Gronkowski-Hernandez duo have been much more talented than anything Roethlisberger has had since his rookie season.

That said, Brady plays a robot system that allows little munchkins like Welker and Woodhead to get cheap yards left and right. Roethlisberger could certainly go robot and do the same thing if asked.

DarthFed said:
I will give you that Ben is a clutch qb and he is someone that figures to be a borderline hall of famer when all is said and done. But you called him THE BEST QB EVER :huh:

When you combine the fact that he can make any pocket throw as well as anyone with his ability to improvise and make athletic plays with his feet, I think a very strong argument can be made that he is the best quarterback of all time. Plus, that argument is only bolstered by just how good he has been despite playing with terrible receivers.

DarthFed said:
And by the way I just looked up the Steelers defensive ranks every year he has been in the league and the only 2 years the defense has ranked outside the top 10 the Steelers have missed the playoffs. Go ahead and compare that to Rodgers.

Rodgers gets to play in a pass-heavy system and has had receivers such as Jennings, Nelson, and Driver. They aren't anything too special but they are much better than what Roethlisberger has had. Plus, Rodgers has had an outstanding, highly athletic first-rate tight end in Finley. Roethlisberger has never had any of those luxuries.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
no NFL insider considers Ben an all time great. in fact they don't even talk about him.

he is not in the conversation.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:
no NFL insider considers Ben an all time great. in fact they don't even talk about him.

he is not in the conversation.

That's because they strictly look at stats.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
so numbers don't mean anything then?

extreme subjectivity wont cut it old sport.

this stuff has to be supported by the numbers. numbers are the only universal truth.

numbers are as cold as death itself. numbers matter. all else is just opinion.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Roethlisberger probably fits in the same category as somebody like Kenny Stabler. A winner who gets the job done and makes this happen when they need to happen. In Stabler's case, it got him HOF nominations, but he didn't get in and as time moves on, he probably never will. I reckon Ben will get in the HOF, but don't buy the greatest of all time argument.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ClayDeath Other Sports 18