"The 'For Real' Question" - Tignor on Zverev and Fritz

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Worth a read.

Not really anything new there, but its good to see some excitement about young players. As as has been discussed quite a bit (perhaps overly so by yours truly, the game has been really lacking a solid group of young players for years. The Raonic, Nishikori and Dimitrov group - while still perhaps having some room for growth - are simply not generating any elite players.

But the next group holds more promise. Tignor seems especially high on Zverev's game, his main concern being his height and perhaps greater risk for injury. He points out that Fritz is less polished but with a great mental make-up.

What I found particularly interesting is how he pointed out that back in 1990, no one thought Seles could surpass Graf, or in 2005 no one thought Rafa could compete with Federer. But it happened.

So while we can look at Zverev, Fritz, Coric, Kyrgios, Chung, and Kokkinakis, or others such as Donaldson, Ymer, Tiafoe, or Rublev, we might not see anyone that screams "future great," but the simple fact is that ALL great players get surpassed and fade, and there are ALWAYS new great players coming up - so SOME of those young players are going to pan out and, if not be all-time greats like Roger, Rafa, and Novak, at least be near-greats in the mould of Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, or Murray.

For me this is the most interesting story in tennis. Yes, I'm enjoying the Tale of Old Man Federer, and whether or not he can somehow manage one more Slam, or the Serbian Epic, whether or not Novak can equal and surpass Federer, and even the Spanish Tragedy or the tragi-comedy that is Andy Murray's career. But I admit to being particularly excited about the next wave of talent that is--finally--appearing on the radar.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Without reading yet the article, I have to say after watching Taylor Fritz playin a full match a few minutes ago, he has a solid baseline game, with powerful strokes on both wings and a strong serve.
His approach shots and volley will need more technical work of course, but which 18 year old has that part of the game well developed?
His idol is Sampras, he looks like Sampras and is cool like him.;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Without reading yet the article, I have to say after watching Taylor Fritz playin a full match a few minutes ago, he has a solid baseline game, with powerful strokes on both wings and a strong serve.
His approach shots and volley will need more technical work of course, but which 18 year old has that part of the game well developed?

Folks wanted someone to challenge Novak, shall we nominate Fritz. ;)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
herios said:

Folks wanted someone to challenge Novak, shall we nominate Fritz. ;)

Yup, in 6 (six) years from now :)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
Haha, you wish, herios.

I was joking of course, but seriously I have a very good feeling about Nole's longevity at a high level.
He keeps himself mentally fresh, skipping all the small events which makes sense at his level and enjoying breaks in between with his family (right now in Belgrade, watching basketball).
So good rests in between are useful, he does need to practice like a mad man all the time.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That's probably more accurate.

I was dabbling with a blog article about the road ahead for the big four, with speculations on "what the fans hope" and "what is most likely." My "most likely" prediction for Novak was further dominance in 2016-17, with tiny cracks beginning to show sometime next year, and maybe several upsets along the way. But it won't be until 2018 that his reign will be truly challenged, and maybe even not until 2019 that he is knocked from being king of the hill.

So yeah, three years seems about right. In 2018 Novak will be turning 31. Meanwhile, Coric, Zverev, Fritz, etc will all be in that ripening age of 20-22.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tennisman12345 said:
Fritz uses CVAC Pod :nono

How dare he use this perfectly legal tool with no known physical draw backs. The :devil!