The Boxing Thread

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll open this one up with a classic... (was fortunate to be there for this).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMr24cH--0k[/video]

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hi mate looking forward to George Groves knocking Froch's block off in the rematch.Can name many favourite fighters from past in the UK,but SRL was amazing in his prime.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi Sid,

I'm eagerly anticipating the rematch too. I thought the stoppage in the first fight was ridiculously premature. Big arena to fill though... I'll be interested to hear how many tickets they sell. Eddie Hearn thinks 50,000-60,000 minimum.

SRL was a legend. His book is a good read too. Marvin Hagler was my favourite fighter - I thought he was a bit unlucky with the SRL decision but it wasn't a travesty in boxing terms - could have gone either way.

Other faves included JC Chavez, Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Barrera, Benn, Eubank, Calzaghe. Plenty more also.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
60,000 were sold in under a hour for GG & Froch more tickets will be sold.Marvin Hagler was great who can forget that night he won v Alan Minter.Saying that the crowd was bad after the fight,no wonder Hagler never came back to the UK.I've many faves from Benn, Eubank, Calzaghe,Tony Sibson,Lennox Lewis,Lloyd Honeyghan,Azumah Nelson,Salvador Sanchez.I could name many more.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, that's pretty amazing on the ticket sales front. Hearn said if he sold 60,000 then they'd take it upto 80,000 capacity for the fight.

Who are you picking?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I fancy Froch for that. I think he was going to win the first fight with a KO, if not when the ref stopped it, then soon after.

SRL's autobiography is one of the best I've read. Especially on the Duran fights, and Duran's animalistic approach to "mind games." It kinda got under Sugar's skin and he fought the first fight in a wholly different way to the rematch. I think he sort of went against his principles in the first fight, in order to beat Duran at his own game. He lost. Interestingly, he says in the book that had the fight been the day before, or the day after, he thinks he'd have won, but he more or less woke up that day on the wrong side of the bed...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The single most incredible fight I recall witnessing was Pryor-Arguello in what was likely 1982 or thereabouts. It was just an insane battle. Very old memories of Ali-Frazier and Ali-Norton, but plenty of memories of Holmes and Tyson. Roberto Duran was an animal and just tough as nails. Boxing went away for awhile in the States, but over the last decade has returned on HBO. With the rise of MMA and other things, I question if boxing will ever return to what it was in the Seventies and Eighties.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pryor-Arguello was a great fight. I didn't watch live but it's in my boxing collection. The old adage where a good "big un" beats a good "little un" bears fruit. Arguello is a better boxer historically though.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No boxing thread would be complete without Hagler/Hearns...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYt5Rz2XlAg[/video]

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Wow, that's pretty amazing on the ticket sales front. Hearn said if he sold 60,000 then they'd take it upto 80,000 capacity for the fight.

Who are you picking?

Groves by KO or wide points.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
No boxing thread would be complete without Hagler/Hearns...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYt5Rz2XlAg[/video]

3 of the best rounds your ever see that :D One of my all time fav fights was SRL & Hearns (first fight)

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
George Groves completed a Rubik's cube on stage while Carl Froch was being interviewed.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm going to go with Groves too. I think Froch's past his best and wasn't hard to hit anyway. Andre Ward's the best guy at the weight by a stretch, but I like Grove's mentality... I watched his fights against DeGale and Paul Smith. He packs a decent shot. I'm going Groves.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Anyone saw Floyd's last fight? Getting old or just a shaky night? Granted, he still won, of course.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Other Sports 1
Federberg Other Sports 143
B Other Sports 24
JasonNorin Other Sports 6
Kieran Other Sports 1