The 19th Hole - Golf Talk

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: The British Open: 2013

I usually only catch the last round of the golf majors. Phil had one hell of a round and pretty much everyone else near the top struggled mightily today. Well earned win and I see that only the US Open is missing. Six 2nd place finishes there...hopefully he reverses that curse. I don't follow golf much at all but always liked Lefty.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

After the heartbreak at the USO, I'm really happy for Mickelson. I like the guy.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Moxie629 said:
After the heartbreak at the USO, I'm really happy for Mickelson. I like the guy.

I'm no huge fan of Mickelson's, but I was happy enough for him! I really dislike Woods, even before the scandal several years ago! I always thought he was full of himself, the most disengenuous out there, and resented the experts anointing him with Gawd-like hype and more! I don't think he's going to overtake Jack at 18 majors even though age isn't really a factor when it comes to golf! Mickelson's won most of his majors after 39; if not all! He's really come into his own of late; regardless of his USO failures! He's already made the Hall Of Fame and doesn't need to do anything else with 5 majors; 3 Masters, 1 PGA, & now this British Open! :clap :p :D

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
augustonsports.blogspot.com

So great Mickelson won the British Open. British Open was always his most difficult major and I had the fear that if he wins the US Open before the British, he may have lost his biggest hunger and ends up retiring without the Claret Jug. Maybe he has now even more determination to win the US Open even though the pressure will be immense for him, he's playing for the career Grand Slam.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

August said:
So great Mickelson won the British Open. British Open was always his most difficult major and I had the fear that if he wins the US Open before the British, he may have lost his biggest hunger and ends up retiring without the Claret Jug. Maybe he has now even more determination to win the US Open even though the pressure will be immense for him, he's playing for the career Grand Slam.

Quite insightful! You're probably right!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Golf: Woods closing in on Snead

Tiger Woods won the Bridgestone today, and is now just 3 wins behind Sam Snead's all-time PGA wins record, this being Wood's 79th. And he's 10 years younger than Snead was when he got to 82, so he's got time for the record.

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/05/209062115/tiger-woods-coasts-to-8th-win-at-bridgestone

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Golf: Woods closing in on Snead

I watched a lot of the final round and his game is rounding into shape. He left some putts out there yesterday and he will have to make a few more of those to win the US Open. I think--for Woods--it is very important for him to start off well and be within two or three strokes after the first round. He can't shoot 73 and be six back and start a long climb back up the hill. That has not really been the way he wins majors; he tends to get out of the gate quickly and outpace the others to the front. Once in front, he manages the course well enough to stay in front almost every time.

As for the number of wins, he will surpass the career total this year or next. He may be the first to hit 100 wins. He will likely win more majors, but whether he wins five more is a tough one to give him now. It is very hard to win even one more of these.

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
PGA Championship:

Jason Dufner leading after Friday. I remember him being so close to win the PGA two years ago even though I hadn't heard of the guy before, I don't watch too much golf outside majors. But as he was already 34 and without a win on the tour, I was afraid that was his best chance to win a major. Luckily he's won tour events after that and he's leading now.

Another player I'd like to win is Steve Stricker, four shots behind Dufner. He's 46 so not too many chances to win the elusive major.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
RE: Golf: 2013 US PGA Championship

Thanks for starting this thread August. I was unable to watch any of the coverage this weekend, but congrats to Dufner on his first major.
613x.jpg

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
Thanks for making this a general golf thread. Btw, maybe you could merge these threads to this:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=182
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=586
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=722

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
August said:
Thanks for making this a general golf thread. Btw, maybe you could merge these threads to this:

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=182
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=586
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=722

Good to see the Dufman get a major. When he's on, the guy knocks down the pins as was evidenced that week. That was one helluva ballstriking exo.

Only drama left is who will win the POY.

Like Fed/Nadal for so many years, it's down to Tiger and Phil.

Going into the PGA the feeling was if either were to win the Wanamaker(awesome trophy and aptly named :D ) it would lock it up. Obviously neither won, and surprisingly neither were even remote factors on the weekend.

So, it still leaves us where we were before the PGA. Let's compare the 013 resumes.

Tiger...

-5 wins including The Players and two WGCs
-likely will finish year ranked #1, win the money title, plus the Vardon(lowest stroke ave for the year)

Lefty...

-2 wins, but one is the Open Championship

Majors typically weigh more, as they should. The best example I can give is the 1998 season. David Duval... yes David, I fell off the planet, Duval won four times, the money title, finished the year ranked #1, won the Vardon...was clearly the best player that year on the PGA Tour. Mark O'Meara won twice, but the two were the Masters and the Open. O'Meara wins POY.

I think the majors weigh likely 2.5/3 - 1 to regular Tour events. The Players probably carry more weight than an average Tour event as it's long been considered the "5th Major" by many, though in reality there's four. WGC events have strong fields as well.

However, I think if you ask Tiger, privately, I'd wager he'd take Phil's two over his five as it's ALL about chasing Jack's 18 majors for him. But in reality Tiger may have the slight edge for POY at this stage. The last few events in the chase for the FedEx Cup may sort this out for good though.

A couple of historical tidbits of interest regarding Mickelson. Lefty has never been ranked #1(he's currently 2nd), nor won the POY, money title or a Vardon. Considering he's arguably a top 10-15 player of all time, that surprises me but is a testament to just how dominant Tiger has been in this era...for the most part. At 43, Mickelson's clock is ticking and he needs to finish the year off strong. If he doesn't scratch in any of these milestones, he can likely look back at not taking advantage of Tiger's lapse after his scandalous affairs broke in 2009.

In regards to Tiger and if he's considered "back". I've debated this ad nauseam this year with so many folks. I'm a huge fan of his talent, have spent alot of money following him over his career starting with the '97 Masters, but I'm trying to be objective here. But again it's all about chasing down "18" for Tiger. For goodness sakes, the guy had Jack's majors stapled to his headboard as a kid. As in tennis, this is what the greats are truly and historically measured by when it's all said in done...and Tiger knows this. Sure, he's had a great year win-wise, money-wise and overall, but it's hollow without a major. When Tiger truly dominated the game, major wins came with it. It's been FIVE years since he's won one and that 500lb gorilla is growing. It's all mental for him right now as he's pressing in these events. Once or if he scratches again in a major, I then will be comfortable in calling him truly "BACK".

I honestly think it will happen next year as the venues set up well and offer positive, comforting memories unlike this past year's venues. Case in point. He's way overdue at Augusta not having won their since '05. The flat stick has really held him back there and in general in the recent major drought. Next year's USO is held at Pinehurst where he finished 2nd and 3rd in the previous ones held there. Tiger won at Hoylake in '06(2014 Open venue) as he did at Valhalla(2014 PGA venue) in the memorable 2000 shootout with Bob May.

Here's something to consider. Tiger's body is starting to break down. And although his game is improving his peers aren't intimidated as in year's past...he knows it and they know that he knows it. He'll be 39 after next year's season. Considering these factors and next year's venues, I think 2014 is THE make or break year in regards to "18". With that said if he gets the next one, it may free him up to win a slew more in a hurry.

Like Fed chasing Pete and Rafa chasing Fed, this particular chase will be captivating to watch as well.

August

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Website
@fedfan: I prefer Lefty's year. He was so great for the six weeks from the US Open to the British Open. Runner-up at the USO, then one win in the week before his British Open title. Tiger has been excellent this year and won big events but hasn't been able to win where it matters the most, at the majors.

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
August said:
@fedfan: I prefer Lefty's year. He was so great for the six weeks from the US Open to the British Open. Runner-up at the USO, then one win in the week before his British Open title. Tiger has been excellent this year and won big events but hasn't been able to win where it matters the most, at the majors.

It will be interesting to see how the POY shakes out, but keep in mind the Scottish Open win, albeit a nice win, isn't recognized on the PGA Tour and likely wont factor. As I mentioned I bet Tiger would swap with Lefty's year because of the major but think it may come down to these last few events.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone else watching Tiger? Completely ruined my day. I can't do anything until this is finished!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not a golf fan at all and I must be one of the only people I know that roots against Tiger. But still, a big moment for him after 10 years.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
it's one of the great sporting stories. I love his golf, don't necessarily love the person

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
it's one of the great sporting stories. I love his golf, don't necessarily love the person

I hear you and that's part of it for me. Since I don't play or watch I don't have a full appreciation for his game or anyone else's. Obviously he was phenomenal and dominated in a way that hasn't been seen but it's interesting how much people look the other way regarding some athletes personalities compared to others. also the guy has mainly sucked for close to 10 years and the hype got a little much at times.