Tennis History “What If’s”

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This “What if” scenario is towards events beyond the control of the players on the court that impacted men’s tennis history in interesting ways.

It’s not for things the players had choices in (IE ‘what if Player XY had taken his conditionIng seriously’, take your pick who you would apply that to, LOL, or ‘what if Player Z converted that MP in Match Y‘)

Here’s my list:

(4) What if the ITF had acceded to Borg’s 1982 request for less mandatory tournament play; from some accounts Borg never initially intended to take years long sabbatical from the sport after the 1981 USO , but when the ITF would not accede via the 10 tournament minimum play rule, they notified that Borg would have to play qualifying for all tournaments, including the FO and Wimbledon where he was a 6 and 5 time winner. Borg stated that since he wasn’t playing for rival circuits or even exhibitions, his cutback was a reasonable request. For all intents and purposes Borg then walked away from the game at the age of 25. ( I know Borg had a “choice”, but the draconian steps the ITF took I give Borg some slack...)

(3) What if there had not been competing tours, rival interests, unions, cannibalizing men’s tennis for the first 10 years of the Open Era? It’s hard to remember now but the top players boycotted 1973 Wimbledon over a labor dispute and many were excluded from playing in 1971/72, then you had WCT tennis circuit, World Team Tennis, the ITF’s own circuit, and the independent Majors. Some of the biggest tournaments of their day ( WCT championship finals) are all but forgotten.

(2) What if playing in ALL the Majors was a priority for the top players during the first 20 years of the Open Era? Other than the Aussies, most of the other top male pros played the AO on grass only sporadically; it wasn’t until the late 80’s early 90’s that it became normal for all the top players to include the AO in their schedule. Borg, McEnroe and even Connors after 1975 in their salad days rarely played the AO.

This last one is the biggie:

(1) What if the Powers to be in Tennis had opened up men’s tennis earlier than 1968; if say Open tennis was accomplished in 1948, practically the entire playing careers of Pancho Gonzales, Jack Kramer, Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, etc would have had them playing all the Majors every year. Just a couple of stats: Pancho Gonzales was the top professional player for 8-9 consecutive years, Rod Laver won a Calender Grand Slam as an amateur in 1962 and repeated the feat as a pro in 1969 and Kramer was the top pro for 6 years. Most players established a name in amateur tennis, and then cashed in by turning pro to actually make a living. Most of these players lost 5-10 plus years of their peak playing condition when they were banned from the “amateur” Majors.

Any others?

Last edited:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Nice! I wish I knew more about tennis history to be able to dwell into those scenarios. One thing common to them is that they would by definition mess with the titles count, and therefore change motivation, history, goals and etc. It could also speed up - or cool down -- other changes that happened for commercial reasons.

I guess I can see already who will be the regular posters in this thread...

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
(4) What if the ITF had acceded to Borg’s 1982 request for less mandatory tournament play; from some accounts Borg never initially intended to take years long sabbatical from the sport after the 1981 USO , but when the ITF would not accede via the 10 tournament minimum play rule, they notified that Borg would have to play qualifying for all tournaments, including the FO and Wimbledon where he was a 6 and 5 time winner. Borg stated that since he wasn’t playing for rival circuits or even exhibitions, his cutback was a reasonable request. For all intents and purposes Borg then walked away from the game at the age of 25. ( I know Borg had a “choice”, but the draconian steps the ITF took I give Borg some slack...)

The news of Borg's retirement must have been the most shocking moment in tennis history. He made a really bad choice there. I don't know how much this mandatory tournament thing affected his decision. It just looks like he snapped. I can't believe he attempted a comeback 9 years later only to embarass himself.

The most obvious what if I can think of is related to women's tennis. What if Monica Seles was not stabbed in her back?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
A Roger fan mentioning the 2006 Rome final missed match points as if they would have changed the entire dynamic of the rivalry in 3...2...1

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
A Roger fan mentioning the 2006 Rome final missed match points as if they would have changed the entire dynamic if the rivalry in 3...2...1

Hey, that's MY line. I mean, I already wrote that in the past... but I beat the temptation this time around.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
What if the Spanish government weren't criminals and investigated Fuentes' blood bags like they should have and revealed the names. :drums::lightning::chainsaw:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What if Nadal wasn’t so unlucky with his endless injuries? He would have around 30 slams and 450 weeks at no.1. :facepalm:

Reactions: Andy22

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The most obvious what if I can think of is related to women's tennis. What if Monica Seles was not stabbed in her back?

To me Monica will always be the Goat. :clap::heart:

Last edited:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have seen a.lot of players but I never seen.someone who could paint lines from.the.baselines like Seles.

She was really something else! :clap: An amazing player who was on course to beat so many all-time records! :clap: A shame how her career got derailed :facepalm:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What if the Spanish government weren't criminals and investigated Fuentes' blood bags like they should have and revealed the names. :drums::lightning::chainsaw:
What if you read what you just wrote, and thought about things logically, instead of being a conspiracy theorist?

Reactions: Jelenafan

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
What if you read what you just wrote, and thought about things logically, instead of being a conspiracy theorist?

Good comeback to an obviously pitiful, massive and embarrassing cover up by the Spanish government who obviously knew there was an awful lot to hide and that's exactly why they did what they did.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
A healthy Del Potro and Soderling would have really shaken things up at the top. That's the biggest loss in recent years imo.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Good comeback to an obviously pitiful, massive and embarrassing cover up by the Spanish government who obviously knew there was an awful lot to hide and that's exactly why they did what they did.

That would expose the 2010 World Cup "winners", so that was never going to happen.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
A healthy Del Potro and Soderling would have really shaken things up at the top. That's the biggest loss in recent years imo.

Del Potro? Sure. Soderling? Uhhh no. An interesting very good player with personality and a big game? Yes? Shake things up at the top? How? I feel like people forget how the top guys were routinely smacking him in 2011 before he went down with mono. Soderling wasn’t some young guy with a constantly improving game. In fact, in 2011, he was regressing, if anything.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That would expose the 2010 World Cup "winners", so that was never going to happen.

The Fuentes thing was obviously a big cover up but the samples were seized in 2006, in fairness.

Reactions: mrzz

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Shaking things up, good for them... Meanwhile. a healthy Nadal would have never lost a match and shaken the whole planet. :bye:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
The Fuentes thing was obviously a big cover up but the samples were seized in 2006, in fairness.

But (seriously), there are a lot of footballers involved in that, right? One way or another it does not look good.