Status Report on Injured players - 2017

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems that everyone is asking, on various threads, as to what goes on with the large number of players who have shut down their 2017, so I thought I'd give it a clearinghouse. Post any updates here.

Players on the injured-reserve:

Andy Murray - hip
Novak Djokovic - elbow
Stan Wawrinka - knee (surgery)
Milos Raonic - various
Tomas Berdych - back
Kei Nishikori - torn tendon right wrist
Nick Kyrgios - hip

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems that everyone is asking, on various threads, as to what goes on with the large number of players who have shut down their 2017, so I thought I'd give it a clearinghouse. Post any updates here.

Players on the injured-reserve:

Andy Murray - hip
Novak Djokovic - elbow
Stan Wawrinka - knee (surgery)
Milos Raonic - various
Tomas Berdych - back
Kei Nishikori - torn tendon right wrist
Nick Kyrgios - hip

Tomic - ego

oh i mean that applies to all-dud as well.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know about their current physical condition. But, I did take a quick look at their current rankings (which will not change too much before AO). Here are the findings.

Stan 9
Novak 12
Andy 16
Berdych 19
Kyrgios 21
Kei 22
Milos 24

Being in the top 12 is almost the same as being in top 8. That is because in round 4, they will be matched with a player ranked 5 through 8.
So, Stan and Novak are not seriously hurt. Andy is hurt little bit more, but he is still within top 16 which offers seeding advantages as well.

Berdych, Kyrgios, Kei and Milos are the ones who are seriously affected. But, all of them managed to stay in top 24, which again offers
seeding advantages. In R3, they will be paired with a player ranked 9 through 16 as opposed to a top 8 players. Actually, Kyrgios never
had tasted much the benefits of high rankings and so this won't be too unusual for him. For the other three, it will definitely be something that they are not used to in the recent past.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I don't know about their current physical condition. But, I did take a quick look at their current rankings (which will not change too much before AO). Here are the findings.

Stan 9
Novak 12
Andy 16
Berdych 19
Kyrgios 21
Kei 22
Milos 24

Being in the top 12 is almost the same as being in top 8. That is because in round 4, they will be matched with a player ranked 5 through 8.
So, Stan and Novak are not seriously hurt. Andy is hurt little bit more, but he is still within top 16 which offers seeding advantages as well.

Berdych, Kyrgios, Kei and Milos are the ones who are seriously affected. But, all of them managed to stay in top 24, which again offers
seeding advantages. In R3, they will be paired with a player ranked 9 through 16 as opposed to a top 8 players. Actually, Kyrgios never
had tasted much the benefits of high rankings and so this won't be too unusual for him. For the other three, it will definitely be something that they are not used to in the recent past.

Do the points from the first week affect AO seedings? In that case Djokovic has 250 and Murray 120 points to defend and they could well fall some spots, and as you noted would be crucial.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Stan 9
Novak 12
Andy 16
Berdych 19
Kyrgios 21
Kei 22
Milos 24

I was wondering about this, so thanks. There'll be some dangerous floaters, if these players come back reasonably fit. And maybe the most jumbled up draw we've seen in a long time. Should be interesting.

Do the points from the first week affect AO seedings? In that case Djokovic has 250 and Murray 120 points to defend and they could well fall some spots, and as you noted would be crucial.

Good question. It's not always easy to figure out when they fix the draw for Majors.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Yes, the points earned (or dropped) in the three tourneys of BCD (Brisbane, Chennai and Doha) will play a role and will be taken into account for AO seedings. But, Abudhabi, Hopman Cup and Kooyong classic don't count (they being exhibition/ITF events). Also, points earned in Sydney/Auckland will not count for AO seeding as these are in the week right before AO.

Reactions: mrzz and Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Thx, GSM. Lot of players close to both Djokovic and Murray and it is quite possible that both lose a couple of places before the seeds are defined.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sir Andy plays Brisbane normally

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1. Andy is reportedly doing well physically, but with Lendl out, there is ? over him.

2. Novak is fine coaching-wise with Agassi willing to say and do anything for him, but is reportedly still having physical issues.

Wawrinka probably had seen the better part of his career and will only go down.

So, 2018 may be the year of the lost generation.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1. Andy is reportedly doing well physically, but with Lendl out, there is ? over him.

2. Novak is fine coaching-wise with Agassi willing to say and do anything for him, but is reportedly still having physical issues.

Wawrinka probably had seen the better part of his career and will only go down.

So, 2018 may be the year of the lost generation.
maybe Norman could be new Andy's coach ???