Serious PC thread

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
This is very concisely put about the worst of political correctness, and I agree. Crikey, I didn't realize that someone doesn't want us to say "blackboard." That's doesn't just miss the point, it sails past Antarctica of it. I also think "gay" does still mean "happy" in English, but I take your point. You also very succinctly lay out the best reasons for political correctness, and I appreciate that. I think you got reasons for and against in a nutshell.
Thank you very much. It was getting that way when I was ready for leaving High School in 1997/8 unless it's just in Britain where we can't call a blackboard a blackboard anymore. I just forgot to say that although I don't think they should re-write old books as people should accept history for what it is that doesn't make what happened in the past right though we can't alter it or do anything about it except learn from it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thank you very much. It was getting that way when I was ready for leaving High School in 1997/8 unless it's just in Britain where we can't call a blackboard a blackboard anymore. I just forgot to say that although I don't think they should re-write old books as people should accept history for what it is that doesn't make what happened in the past right though we can't alter it or do anything about it except learn from it.
To your point of not being able to re-write old books: a classic, difficult example here in the US is Mark Twain's 19th C. masterpiece, "Huckleberry Finn." (I don't know if it's widely-taught in Britain, but it's considered one of the great American novels.) A key character is called "Nigger Jim." He's also an enormously sympathetic one, the mentor and father-figure to young Huck Finn. In tragic examples of political-correctness gone awry, the book was banned in public schools, and a lame version of the book that took the n-word out was produced. Now, I think, the book is taught as-written, with the historical context explained. There is no good to be done in sheltering children from such realities, and much good to be gained in taking the teaching opportunity. And trying to scrub history is a heinous crime.

@mrzz: Please note where I chose to write out the offensive word, and where I used a euphemism. This is a deliberate choice, on my part. I hope you see the difference and take the point.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Here we fundamentally disagree that it's meant to mask problems or put a veil on them...exactly the opposite.

The point is not what it is meant for, but what it actually does. If people back then wanted to expose the problems, merit to them, but what we have now on a daily basis is different. As Murat's, I could list a long list of examples, both from cases on the news, and from things I experienced myself.

I highlighted specifically this point as it is one of the main reasons while I created the thread. If some alien lands on earth today, he will find that people do argue sometimes more about the words than the facts, and that some words are avoided or forbidden indeed to mask problems. So your point is that this is not the original intent, and I believe you. But it is very hard to see it nowadays, and I guess it will take a good deal of maturity to fix this.

A lot of seemingly superficial things are exactly what fixes the problems: sports and entertainment stars who become heroes for people who ever only saw blacks/gays/jews, etc. as "other." An advertising industry that embraced multiculturalism because it sells products, out of a notion of political correctness.

I agree with the first phrase, but not with the second.

Brazil always had a racial problem (it is slowly getting better), and one guy named Pelé helped immensely in this regard. He was, he is a national hero. No one in the country would look at black people the same after him. There was no PC movement back then. PCness did not teach the world that skin color is not a problem, or that different cultures are interesting. Society and the world evolved (though not enough, surely). Did PCness helped historically in this regard? Even if yes, the question is: is it helping right now? I do not think so.

In any case, people have a right to fight via activism for what they see as right for their country. This is why the US is deeply divided, and involved in entrenched culture wars. Personally, I don't see that you can't have a great deal of personal freedom AND social justice. However, living in a democracy, and defining a "free" society is complicated. You say that "guaranteeing freedom is a principle." Perhaps, but guaranteeing rights can be legislated for. I don't think that PCness has failed...this question goes beyond a political tactic or strategy. Negotiating these things, particularly in a large population, is just fucking difficult.

Here we have material for years of discussion, but we surely agree that it is fucking difficult.

About your "Huckleberry Finn" comment, spot on. I just don't see the connection with the PC "program". The n-word have indeed been used in an offensive way, that is, language evolved and the word got that connotation. There was no need for anyone to come and tell the world that it was offensive. Any non-racist person would not use it. The task is to eliminate racism, not the words. I know you will say that eliminating the words helps the cause, fine, that's a point of view (with which I disagree). As you have shown, I am pretty sure that "Huckleberry Finn", with his n-word inside, will do better against racism than most current policies (with a good context discussion, sure).

In fact, the word itself hardly has an inherent racist meaning. In Portuguese "negro" (which is used as "dark" in English) is not offensive, on the contrary. Black people used it proudly. "Preto", on the other hand (which is precisely "black"), is often used in a negative way (even if not always). If you say that we should think before we use a word to describe a group, I agree with you. If you give me a list of "authorized" words, I don't. I rather check for myself and see what the people use to describe themselves (or, if I know a term that is clearly non-offensive, I may use it, as we do not always get to chose the words we are called...)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mrzz: I've had enough of you using the convenient "quoting," which then forces me to choose a more thoughtful way to envelope the points in our conversation. (Only half-kidding. You have the upper-hand on me in the structure of the thread.) But for now, I'm a bit exhausted from taking notes and trying to keep track. You'll have to get what I have from reading, and you're not allowed to penalize on small points, OK?:D

You said: "I highlighted specifically this point as it is one of the main reasons while I created the thread. If some alien lands on earth today, he will find that people do argue sometimes more about the words than the facts, and that some words are avoided or forbidden indeed to mask problems. So your point is that this is not the original intent, and I believe you. But it is very hard to see it nowadays, and I guess it will take a good deal of maturity to fix this." I, personally, am not trying to argue the words more than the facts. I'm sorry that that's how you see my argument, or PCness, in general. How far we've come from original intent.

So you agree that sports stars can move the ball forward (sorry for the pun,) but you don't believe the advertising industry does? If so, I'll challenge you further on that one.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
About your "Huckleberry Finn" comment, spot on. I just don't see the connection with the PC "program". The n-word have indeed been used in an offensive way, that is, language evolved and the word got that connotation. There was no need for anyone to come and tell the world that it was offensive. Any non-racist person would not use it. The task is to eliminate racism, not the words. I know you will say that eliminating the words helps the cause, fine, that's a point of view (with which I disagree). As you have shown, I am pretty sure that "Huckleberry Finn", with his n-word inside, will do better against racism than most current policies (with a good context discussion, sure).

In fact, the word itself hardly has an inherent racist meaning. In Portuguese "negro" (which is used as "dark" in English) is not offensive, on the contrary. Black people used it proudly. "Preto", on the other hand (which is precisely "black"), is often used in a negative way (even if not always). If you say that we should think before we use a word to describe a group, I agree with you. If you give me a list of "authorized" words, I don't. I rather check for myself and see what the people use to describe themselves (or, if I know a term that is clearly non-offensive, I may use it, as we do not always get to chose the words we are called...)

It makes me sad that you didn't get my "aside" to you.

But you make my point, I think, when you say that the word "preto" in Portuguese holds negative connotations in your culture, even if it only means "black." It's the imbuing of negative connotations on words that makes them powerful, and the reason why some want to take them back, disempower them, or proscribe their use. You are wrong, btw, that "negro" means "dark" in English. That is its Latinate root, of course, but it is used in no other way in English than to describe people with dark skin. Thereby the derivation of "nigger." Specifically for that reason, African-Americans in the US, during the civil rights movement, chose to divorce themselves from being referred to as "negroes." (In the evolution of the verbiage, you can hear Martin Luther King, Jr. referring to himself and his people as "negroes.") No one uses that term now. And you may find the evolution of the choice of term to be laughable, as you don't like things "PC," but it went from "Afro-American" to "black" to "African-American," as a preference. But I have no problem with an oppressed people finding their way to self-identification. Likewise, the re-appropriation of terms, like "niggah" in hip-hop culture are useful. It's a way of taking the sting out. This is how political correctness works in language, and I keep hoping this will make some sense to you.

Horsa

Reactions
To your point of not being able to re-write old books: a classic, difficult example here in the US is Mark Twain's 19th C. masterpiece, "Huckleberry Finn." (I don't know if it's widely-taught in Britain, but it's considered one of the great American novels.) A key character is called "Nigger Jim." He's also an enormously sympathetic one, the mentor and father-figure to young Huck Finn. In tragic examples of political-correctness gone awry, the book was banned in public schools, and a lame version of the book that took the n-word out was produced. Now, I think, the book is taught as-written, with the historical context explained. There is no good to be done in sheltering children from such realities, and much good to be gained in taking the teaching opportunity. And trying to scrub history is a heinous crime.

@mrzz: Please note where I chose to write out the offensive word, and where I used a euphemism. This is a deliberate choice, on my part. I hope you see the difference and take the point.
I read Huckleberry Finn because I wanted to but it's not taught in schools. Using my Enid Blyton example in more detail at 1 time gollywogs were a popular toy as she wrote in her books. (No racism intended). The books have been re-edited to take them out which is going too far in my opinion. Parents could just read the books with their children & explain that these were popular toys at 1 time but have been discontinued due to people finding them offensive which brings me to another point black & white minstrels shows aren't shown on t.v. anymore even when they're showing repeats of programmes as they're seen as racist which may have a point but it was all about the music. Same as some Al Jolson songs. They've had this discussion on t.v. asking whether it was going too far. I think yes, because we've totally got to forget about it & they're trying to re-write history to make everything right. In today's world where most new music is rubbish as in instrumentalists bang their instruments as loud as possible & vocallists don't sing, they just shout, scream or talk, looking back at old music is a good alternative. I don't totally agree with some things that went on in history but history happened. We can't change that. History has also made us who we are.

Reactions: mrzz and britbox

Horsa

Reactions
I mean a song is a song & if you're just listening to or singing a song that just happened to be sung by someone blacking up their faces I don't see a problem. If the song contains derogatory remarks then it shouldn't be listened to or sung but stopping people from singing songs because the original singers blacked their faces is ridiculous.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
@Moxie, I take your point on the quoting. It is just that (as you surely have noticed) I like to debate, and I always try to give credit to my interlocutor by fully analyzing her words. Things get easily organized this way, but yes, it is ugly and not so pleasant to read.

I guess I got the "aside", maybe I could not make myself clear. Thing is also that we just disagree.

My point was that two pairs of related words have completely different connotations in English and in Portuguese. And I bring Portuguese to the discussion not only because it is my language, but because both Brazil and US were colonized by Europeans roughly at the same time, and were places where the sub-saharan African population (shhhh) was victim of enslavement. So the point was that while "black" is ok in US, "preto" (its direct translation) it is not ok here, while "nigger" or even "negroe" is not, and "Negro" here is completely fine ("Negro" means literally absence of light or color, and it is a word you would use in a poetical context, for example a "noite negra" -- dark night -- we would never use "noite preta").

I brought this to show (the obvious) that the use of the words evolve, and while I agree that language is powerful, and I am sure that people wanting to hate will find terms to express their hatred.

Yes, language is powerful: what is more powerful than Ali saying "Black is beautiful"? Now that is something I find valid. You affirm the meaning you want in a powerful, sound message that will really reach people. That is the opposite than to assume that one knows what each and every word triggers on people's brains, and trying to control it by "blacklisting" a few...

About sports and the advertising industry.... for me, on one side, is roughly the same thing, as both contexts may show that people are people. But since sports is nothing that is planned (or should not be), things just happen more naturally. I see no problem in the advertising industry choosing a specific "language" (I only doubt that they do it out of their good hearts), what I do not like is branding the ones that doesn't as racists or white suprematist's or whatever. It is like we, somewhere down the road on this conversation, start branding/tagging each other racists or feminazis just because we disagree.

Now up to my next round in the tournament. Wish me luck.

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I see Bill Maher has got himself in a pile of trouble using the 'N' word. I watched the episode and actually didn't think anything of it at the time. I thought it was edgy humour yes, but to see long debates about it on CNN today... :facepalm: There was a valid comedic context to what he said. I do think it's a shame that a white man is not permitted to use the word, even if he's clearly not a racist.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
The N word cannot really be that bad, can it, if a whole culture is using it freely every day? I mean I understand the history of it so I do not use it, or promote the use of it but if the people that find it the most offensive are the people that are freely using it, how bad can it really be? You say it means something different when used by blacks and something different when used by everyone else, then I would like to know if there is any other word in the history of mankind that operates like that.
Just so there is no misunderstanding, I do not like the word, I do not use the word, I do not promote its use...I just do not understand why people that are most hurt by it keep on using it. Does not compute...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The N word cannot really be that bad, can it, if a whole culture is using it freely every day? I mean I understand the history of it so I do not use it, or promote the use of it but if the people that find it the most offensive are the people that are freely using it, how bad can it really be? You say it means something different when used by blacks and something different when used by everyone else, then I would like to know if there is any other word in the history of mankind that operates like that.
Just so there is no misunderstanding, I do not like the word, I do not use the word, I do not promote its use...I just do not understand why people that are most hurt by it keep on using it. Does not compute...

The same could be said for "bitch"

Horsa

Reactions
I only use that word to mean it's dictionary definition which is female dog. It's slang use gives female dogs a bad name which is a shame as you get some lovely female dogs.
How so? I use that one freely, mostly for men :)

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
But what's wrong with my video? It's a perfectly good rant on it's own! And it calls BS on people who think that PC is BS and don't understand terms.

Damn, Moxie, lately I have so little time and here I am writing a long post, dragged in a discussion by you.

On the PC BS thread I was not complaining about the video itself, I was complaining about the fact that we were highjacking the thread that should be about just PC BS. Obviously not a quite serious complaint, just an excuse to use bad language and unPC language on that thread. A bit of teatrics to spice things up and have fun.

Having said that, about the video:

I like the motivation: Are you talking about PC? What the hell is that then? Well, that's what this thread is all about.

Once you asked me "why do you care" (as the guy does here) on other situation, which was a perfectly placed question then. It does not changed my view on the particular subject we were discussing (equal pay on tennis tournaments), as this is a minor and very peculiar subject, but it was a very useful question to answer when thinking about the broader (and more important) question.

But I guess your use of the question was more pertinent than his. That's why:

He says a lot of things on the video. Being a professional he debates better than his caller. And, yes, there are a lot of brainless critics of PC things (but I guess on this board most posters have substance on their critics), and here we have a common cause, as I don't think that those brainless critics to PC help the ones who have real issues about it.

About the video:

First, he starts by asking a valid question "what do you mean by PC", but he in turn not offered and answer, and ended up working with the answer he criticised to begin with. In fact, his main objection against the listener definition of PC was "A lot of people are offended by that." It is a bit too rhetorical, but ok.

Then he asks:

"So it is bad to try not to be offensive?"

The answer is, obviously, no, it is not bad.

Then, when discussing how far one should go with that, the caller said something like "as far as it is reasonable".
Then the radio guy asks:

"who decides what is reasonable?"

Well, that's the point! The answer is obvious, isn't it? This small part maybe the core of my (and I would guess from some more posters here) issues with PC.

The radio guy was in fact unfair on the next exchange: The caller never told that you should try harder to be offensive - he said that one should try not to be offensive "as long as it is reasonable". To say that the logical conclusion of this statement is that "you should try harder to be offensive" is litteray to twist the callers words.

Then the radio guy says, putting himslef in the callers position, that "on the horizon it could become illegal to say that's for girls and that's for boys", puting this as something outrageous and ridiculous. COME ON!!!! Are this guy REALLY saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE that political ideas could be taken to extremes by some extremists? Sorry, but in what world does he live in? Should we take his word that things would never turn radical?

Then he touches a very subtle point, uniform for children. His own argument is perfect AGAINST PC. "This are blazers to people who got boobs", he mockingly says. People who got boobs(PWGB), formely known as girls. PWGB clothes have a distinct shape to PWDNGB, so here's the practical reason for the distinction.

So, yes, now we have boys clothes and girls clothes. So some people are offended by the very fact that someone made this distinction. Yes, there are children who will have a hard time fitting in one of the two categories -- and a lot who dont. So someone has the idea of gender neutral clothes. I have nothing against gender neutral clothes, if they are presented as one of the options, but I have something against it if someone tries to make it the only option. How could the bright minds that figured out that some might be offended for having to dress gender oriented clothing could not foresee the possibility that others might feel offended for having to wear gender neutral clothes?

But this is just the first step to bigger issues, that the radio guy puts as "why don't you call yourself a person rather than a boy or a girl"?

First things first: he, or anyone, PC or not, does not decides what I call myself. Or what my daughter calls herself. Or my friends if I can stand for them. They can call themselves boy, girl, person, alien or brick. Yes, I know we are all people first, but, tchan tchan tchan, biologically there are two kinds of people, psychologically (ask Freud) there are two kinds of people, so on and so forth. So it is possible to categorize people into genders. Some people will not fit? Sure. Is it a good enough reason to say that it is "wrong" to categorize people into genders? No, not by a long shot. Does it mean I do not respect people who does not feel perfectly described by the words man or woman? It does not mean that, obviously.

People might have some issues with those categories. People who don't fit, people who do not understand the ones who doesn't fit. Pretending the categories are not there does not address the issues.

So, finally, answering to key question the radio guy asks: why do you care?

Are he seriously asking for people not to care about the category they use to refer to themselves? "no, leave it to us, we will care about it for you". What I care about it is MY CHOICE. My conscience, my choice.

No one should be forced to identify him/herself to "men" or "women" categories (even if physiologically they do, liking it or not). But some, in fact most, do identify themselves to those categories, in a broader sense. Should we simply pretend this is not the case?

The question "why do you care" in this case is valid, but you must be opened to all honest answers. And I suspect the guy on the video is not.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mrzz...sorry to require you to write so extensively. Hee hee. And sorry I forgot there were TWO bloody threads about political correctness on this forum, as it's such a hot topic. One for the majority of posters who want to poke fun at it, and one for the minority...essentially me...who see its worth. I liked the guy in the video because he makes a lot of my arguments pretty well. I have always said that it is a parsing of terms and taking care to think about what you say before you say it. And to respect how people themselves want to be identified.

I get that the radio host was better-equiped to handle the argument, and he did let the guy off the hook a bit on that, but I think you also got some things wrong about the argument. Firstly, there was nothing wrong with him saying "boobs." In a discussion of what political correctness is, non-PC terms will get used. It was a rhetorical point. He did, when taking the caller's point to it's logical and slightly hysterical conclusion, ask him, as a man, if terms were changed, by government mandate, how would it change how he thought of himself? He said it wouldn't. It's never going to happen, but it wouldn't. You're allowed to identify as a man and your daughter is allowed to identify as a woman. As I do. We didn't hear the story that prompted the discussion, but we can draw the conclusion that it was about identifying uniforms for children specifically by gender. That's not about you or me, mate. It's for kids who are gender-queer or confused. Or just don't want to be told they can't like something because it's for opposite gender. I'm sure you can remember all of the stigmas that confused us as kids.

As to the question of "why do you care?" I don't know if you identify "white," but I know you are male. You are in a group, likely, where you kind of don't have to care...about how you're identified. Or if labels that you don't agree with for yourself put you at a disadvantage. There are labels that put people in minority groups at a disadvantage, and they object to them. Do you object to that?

The people that seem to be shouting against "political correctness" are somehow worried that someone is trying to shape their minds and speech. I have said before, I do think that it opens minds to empathy about how people who are in the minority choose to be identified. It behooves people to at least be aware. If they choose not to use some terms, or accept certain differences in people, that is still their choice. But, as the radio host asked: "Don't you want to be less-offensive? Isn't that a good thing?"

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Can I answer the last question? NO...I don't want to be less offensive and no it is not a good thing. Calling things as they really are is a good thing. Biology is a good thing. Science is a good thing. Watered down speech designed to conceal agendas is not a good thing.
I am white. I do not care about the group I belong to because I am an individual. I believe in individualism. PC is a baby of collectivism. I despise collectivism . I despise social justice. It is an oxymoron. There is ONLY individual justice. One cannot be guilty or innocent because of the group they belong to or identify as.
It is really simple Moxie. If you can show me ONE issue that the PC movement solved (not masked, really, actually SOLVED) then I will join you in your movement :). Tell me one issue that is all good now because the language we use is pussified.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 997
britbox World Affairs 8186