Rules or no rules - that's the question?

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For those of you who watched the Peng - Caroline match it must have been a bizarre show watching a management in a complete out of control situation - making them act like amateurs and non thinkers. It's a pity and a shame for the tennis game that players have to be in such a situation. Here are som extracts from a brilliant article in LA times by Bill Dwyre about this shameful non acting from the managent: Whole article here US Open officials catch heat

Peng Shaui of China, was struck with what looked like cramping and was called a severe case of heat illness by tournament officials. That precipitated a bizarre and uncomfortable scene and questionable official handling of it.

-----------------

With Wozniacki serving at 4-3 of the second set, Peng exhibited signs of physical distress. Soon, she was bent over near the back wall. On the other side, Wozniacki waited to serve. And waited.

Eventually, but not immediately, medical personnel and officials surrounded Peng as she continued to double over. It went on and on.

Next, it was announced she would be taken off. Later, they said it was for "off-court medical evaluation." Wozniacki kept standing out there, keeping her serve warm and as confused as anybody else about what exactly was going on.

She particularly had to be conflicted because, once during a tournament in Doha, she had started to cramp and was told nobody could come to her aid, could even help her get up. Somehow, she did and won the match. Now, trying to stave off a break point, her opponent was ushered off by doctors and trainers and time kept ticking and no penalties — points, warnings, anything — were being issued.

------------------

Tournament director David Brewer met the media and attempted to explain. The basis for personnel to be able to come to the aid of Peng was that she had a "heat Illness." That, apparently, is distinguished from cramping. With a heat illness, it was explained, the player's safety takes precedence over all else, including the apparent unfairness to her opponent.

Still, lots of this remained, and remains, clear as mud. Brewer said it was Peng who said she had to default. Hours after she had recovered and met the media, Peng said she had no memory of that, that she might have, but they also might have told her they were defaulting her.

Well read the rest and make a little or big comment about this and also make it on twitter or facebook. Thanks for your attention.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Personally I'm not buying the heat illness excuse one bit. Peng lives in Tianjin, China and just check the weather there and you'll see it's hotter than New York. Yesterday's weather was 32C/89.6F and 67% humidity in New York and in Tianjin it was 32C and 88% humidity. She's clearly used to hot weather so you can safely say she did not collapse because of the heat.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
But, Peng should not be criticized. It was the officials who mishandled the situation instead of
keeping on docking points and games as they did for steve johnson.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
This incident clearly shows how the rules can be bent or broken because of the big stage. I could not believe the fact that a 10 minute medical time-out was granted in the first place.
The player should not be allowed to continue in such medical emergencies.
What were they thinking?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Does anyone know the real cause of cramps?

In the first weeks they said players are cramping because it is cold and mild weather.

Now they are saying players are cramping due to hot weather.

Some say cramps are due to illicit drugs

I am confused.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ It could be any of the above really but considering the tennis authorities are so blind and basically don't wish tennis to become the new cycling, they're willing to believe point 3 isn't even a possibility. Now they may all be weather related but equally none of them may and we simply don't know.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
But, I don't understand how they can blame both mild weather and hot weather for cramps.
I think it should be one or the other.

K

Kenneth

I saw the Peng-Wozniacki game :/ Peng looked like she felt really bad!

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
cramps are caused by dehydration...i think

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yup, mostly dehydration causes cramping and players aren't so stupid as to be dehydrated from not drinking enough fluids playing in very hot weather which leads me to believe the dehydration and cramping is down to diuretics which are used to mask PEDs. There are other causes of cramping too obviously but the tennis authorities clearly aren't doing enough to clamp down on PEDs as we all know.