Rory calls off wedding to Caro

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
The wedding between two-time golf major champion Rory McIlroy and former No. 1 tennis player Caroline Wozniacki is off. Apparently, McIlroy got cold feet—after the wedding invites already went out. “The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realize that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails,” he said. Their relationship had previously been reported to be on the rocks months ago, but then McIlroy proposed to her on New Year’s Eve in Sydney.

http://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2014/05/21/rory-mcilroy-announces-break-caroline-wozniacki-6506/

rubydo

Reactions
Caro and Rory engagement is off!

Just read that just after sending wedding invitations, Rory has got his feelings caught in a bunker and has called off his engagement to Caroline Wozniacki. He stated, "the problem is mine. I just realized I was not ready for all that marriage entails.":huh:
They have been dating since 2011.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Caro and Rory engagement is off!

I am glad Rory realized that the problem was on his side.To me he did the correct thing by calling the engagement off.Marriage is a long time commitment.I personally feel the couples of today,dont realize this and often take the easy way out,in getting a divorce.Call me old fashioned,if you will.I also feel they get swept up in the name of 'love' without thinking............

I also am aware being in the public spot light,like Caroline and Rory have been,makes this harder.

Caroline must be feeling devastated,in time she will realize this was a blessing in disguise.I wish her all the best.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Because of the notion that marriage is a long term committment many people are not
getting married these days. They are afraid of divorce proceedings etc.

In order to combat with the problem and to encourage people getting married,
Mexico City created a new concept called marriage with option to renew
I am not joking and this is real. Under this law, people can get married and get
all the rights and privileges the institution of marriage offers. After 5 years,
the default assumption is that they are no longer married as per the law.
The couple don't have to go through divorce proceedings etc. However, if
they want to continue to remain married, they need to get married again
either under the terms of "marriage with option to renew" or under the
regular marriage.

This I tell you, is an innnovative idea.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
To be honest I think he's done Caroline a favour. It's best not to drag it out if it's not what he wants. However, perhaps he should think about what marriage 'entails' before he proposes in the future. People tend to organise a wedding once they've announced an engagement. To be honest he seems very immature.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The other woman in Rory's life has won the 1st round of qualifying at RG.
I am referring to Canadian Wozniacki. :cool:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Because of the notion that marriage is a long term committment many people are not

I am not joking and this is real. Under this law, people can get married and get
all the rights and privileges the institution of marriage offers. After 5 years,
regular marriage.

Yes it is. It almost sounds like something from outta San Francisco, or Hollywood...

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Caro responded via Twitter:

Caroline Wozniacki ✔ @CaroWozniacki
Follow
It's a hard time for me right now.Thanks for all the sweet messages!Happy I support Liverpool right now because I know I'll never walk alone.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
And among the many messages of loving support left for Caro was this:

Serena Williams ✔ @serenawilliams
Follow
@CaroWozniacki I'll always walk with you.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Moose said:

Follow
It's a hard time for me right now.Thanks for all the sweet messages!Happy I support Liverpool right now because I know I'll never walk alone.

She's a bit dizzy, isn't she...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently, the betting companies are at it. They are taking bets on who will be Rory's
next girl friend. For example, Azrenka has 50 to 1 odds. Here is the complete list of odds
Serena Williams comes in at 100 to 1.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Moose said:

Follow

She's a bit dizzy, isn't she...

& creepy..she took apic of him asleep, poasted on social meeja:huh:

..unless she didn't poast until he woke & was ok'd it? (in which case I retract said comment).

R

Rose

GameSetAndMath said:

regular marriage.

:laydownlaughing It sounds more like a business merger to me!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rose said:
GameSetAndMath said:

regular marriage.

:laydownlaughing It sounds more like a business merger to me!

I didn't mean to suggest that it is a good idea. I didn't add any smileys in my
OP on this as I thought if I did so, people will think it is a joke. The funny thing is
it is real and not a joke. Also, the funnier thing is that they introduced this law
because they wanted to promote marriage and family and not because they are
against it.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
What must taste very bitter to Caroline is that she invested so much in this relationship and that it was all for nothing. Even just a casual look at her career stats makes it perfectly clear that her career suffered because of this relationship. To be fair, his suffered as well. But for a tennis player three years is like an eternity. For a golfer it's not, because you can play high level golf into your fiftees.

And while Caroline at her best is a very good player, she's not a borderline genius like Hingis or a powerhouse like Serena who can play great tennis whenever she feels like it. Caro is a worker who became as successful as she did on the basis of buckets full of sweat and willpower. It's not going to be easy for her to pick it up where she left off three years ago. During those three years the other important players of her age group have made significant progress while she fell of the boat that she saw disappear ever further into the distance. It's gonna require an allmighty swim to catch up again.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
th

In case you haven't heard, Rory McIlroy broke off his engagement with tennis star Caroline Wozniacki last week.

And now, we are starting to hear reports alleging how it happened.

According to some media outlets, McIlroy did it over the phone ... in a three-minute conversation.

The Times of London indicates Wozniacki at first thought it was a joke.

Caroline Wozniacki played tennis in a lovely old arena at Roland Garros yesterday but would rather have been in Belfast, asking Rory McIlroy to his face why he left her this way. Except that the last time he called, less than a day after telling her how much he loved her, it was a three-minute conversation she thought was a joke.

Well, that would have been awkward. There's no easy way to break off an impending marriage, especially after you have sent out the inviations. But if someone does it over the phone? Yikes.

Christopher Clarey, a columnist and correspondent with The New York Times, tweeted that he'd learned similar information:

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/rory-mcilroy-broke-up-with-caroline-wozniacki-over-the-phone-052814

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
RJD11 said:
th

In case you haven't heard, Rory McIlroy broke off his engagement with tennis star Caroline Wozniacki last week.

According to some media outlets, McIlroy did it over the phone ... in a three-minute conversation.

Caroline Wozniacki played tennis in a lovely old arena at Roland Garros yesterday but would rather have been in Belfast, asking Rory McIlroy to his face why he left her this way. Except that the last time he called, less than a day after telling her how much he loved her, it was a three-minute conversation she thought was a joke.

Well, that would have been awkward. There's no easy way to break off an impending marriage, especially after you have sent out the inviations. But if someone does it over the phone? Yikes.

Christopher Clarey, a columnist and correspondent with The New York Times, tweeted that he'd learned similar information:

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/rory-mcilroy-broke-up-with-caroline-wozniacki-over-the-phone-052814

If that is true,Rory ended their engagement by telephone? what a coward Rory is,.you would think he would have shown more respect to Caroline.I stand by my earlier comments regarding this break up
for Caroline this is a blessing in disguise.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
fashionista said:
RJD11 said:
th

If that is true,Rory ended their engagement by telephone? what a coward Rory is,.you would think he would have shown more respect to Caroline.I stand by my earlier comments regarding this break up
for Caroline this is a blessing in disguise.

I trust Christopher Clarey. He's a serious tennis writer (who writes beautifully about tennis) for the NYTimes. He's no gossip monger. Breaking off an engagement by phone is bad. I had an ex-boyfriend who thought enough to take me to lunch just to tell me he was getting married to someone else. We were really just good friends at that point, but it was so gracious, as a gesture, that I've always admired it. What is the Longines tag-line? "Elegance is an attitude." Or, perhaps, "a choice." Rory…not so elegant or gracious, it seems.