Rootin' for the Villain

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Not that it matters to anyone, but here is how it went down phor me (during the Nadal/Phederer era)...Until about 2009, I was only a "casual" tennis phan. I'd sometimes watch phinals of majors, but that was about it. During the Nadal/Phederer era, there were only two players that mattered to me...Nadal and Phederer. I liked Phederer because of his phluid style, one-handed backhand, and on-court demeanor. Nadal's style didn't really bother me, but his on-court demeanor did. The grunting, phist-pumping, and VAMOS-yelling was a huge turn-OPHPH. The pre-serve routine and all the little quirks were annoying, too. Then he started owning Phederer, which was the icing on the cake. Late 2009 was when I began to become somewhat of a die-hard tennis phan. I began to phollow other, less popular players (I'm one of those underdog guys). Even though he was my phavorite of the big guns, I became less interested in Phederer. Still, my hatred of Nadal persisted, and still does. I respect the guy, but I'll never like him and I cheer against him every time he takes the court. Again....Not that anyone cares, but that's my condensed version as to why I developed a hatred phor Nadal.

It does matter, and I admire your "phrankness." ;) A lot of your objections are those of others. Our "taste" in terms of how players behave, and how it irritates us seems pretty personal. I'm interested to hear from those who consider his game to be "ugly," too. No one has responded to that. Do you find his game "ugly," or is that what puts you off?

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
^ Pholks' style never bothered me. His on-court demeanor/mannerisms did/do, though.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
^ Pholks' style never bothered me. His on-court demeanor/mannerisms did/do, though.

I gotcha. Just wondering if I can get a response from those that don't like the "style," from those that call it ugly.

And I get that the ticks can be irritating, but he's generally well-behaved on-court and off. He has never smashed a racquet, and always gives credit to opponents, before and after matches. Unlike some, (Federer and Djokovic, for example,) who have occasionally intimated that the match was on their racquet, or that they "should" have won a match, had they not actually lost it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal's a phenom. People who reject him for the tics and tugs, the grunts and pumps, the sleeveless Alpha-male testosteronal ownership of the court and all who are on it, they have a point. If I didn't love him, I'd hate him. He doesn't inspire neutrality...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Moxie Pro Tennis (Mens) 115