Post thoughts after the Australian Open

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing the first Grand Slam event is over,with Serena Williams making history moving into second outright position in the Open Era with 19 Grand Slam titles and her 6th Australian Open title.

I would like the poster's view's on which player's impressed them,other than Serena Williams' of course at the Australian Open?

Which player's disappointed them and why?

What are your thought's on how the Australian Open was run this year compared to other years? Does it live up to its name as The Happy Slam or The Friendly Slam?

Did you think your favorite player did well at the Australian Open this year? if not why?

Going forward to the next tournament are you happy with the performance of your favorite player?

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The Happy Slam is my favorite of the four Grand Slams. It's well-organized, great fans and the competition is usually at a high level.

Impressed by:
Djokovic's ability to play possum and by the size of his family jewels. When you're back against a wall, this is the guy you want to be fighting for you.
Serena's continuing march towards history. Still not sure if she can reach Graf but she started off this year in a great way.
On the men's side, seven of the eight top guys were in the QFs. While I do love the occasional upset, I enjoy seeing the top guys go at it in a Slam.
Madison Keys' run to the SFs. We've seen a few American girls make a run to a GS semifinal only to disappear. If Keys can learn how to volley, she will be back for more.
Venus' run to the QFs. Nobody expected that. Nice to see.
Berdych's win over Nadal. Nobody beats Berdych 18 times in a row! And he threw in a bagel as a bonus. I hope these two run into each other again at the French.

Disappointed by:
Murray's mental weakness, his choice for a fiancee, and the bagel at the end of a Grand Slam final. That should not happen.
Federer keeps fooling me into thinking he's going to come through. He's been doing that for quite a while now. I might be ready to stop writing him into my Challenge lineup.
Ivanovic 1st round loss. Really thought she was going to make a run here.
Kvitova's inability to win on hard courts. What is it with this woman? She should be No. 1 or 2 in the world with more titles but no.

Not sure yet if he is my FAVORITE player, but I've decided to hop on the Berdych train this year. I'm always a sucker for underdogs and I would love to see Berdych (or Tsonga and Ferrer) win a Slam. I'm interested in seeing how his new coaching staff will get Berdych ready for the rest of the slams this year. Of course I was disappointed that he didn't win here, but beating Nadal (finally) and getting back to the semis is a good start. Time to win his second Masters title.

Last and not least...Gawd I love tennis!

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Not sure why you wrote a post all about the men when this is the WTA forum :p

I was impressed by Vika. I think she did what she needed to do for herself. She beat a surging player in a match most predicted she wasn't ready to win. Yes she lost to Domi but Domi is the kind of player that is always dangerous against players with Vika's game. I think it gave her a ton of confidence and she often rides waves of confidence. I want to see her back at the top. I now predict she'll be in the US Open finals.

I was disappointed by Aga. She was really starting to make people think she'd turned a corner. Now I back to thinking she's the second coming of Jakovic.

Keys impressed me but I am not making any hay about her. There have been way too many American girls who have had these false breakthroughs. I hate that people call her the real deal before she's actually put together some consistent week to week and slam to slam results. Time will tell.

Genie impressed me. Sure she still hasn't solved how she can beat Maria or Kvitova but I actually expected her to have more of a letdown after the way she ended last year. The QF is nothing to scoff at. Now the real task is winning some smaller tournaments.

Kvitova let me down. The old plague on her game still hasn't subsided completely.

Halep really let me down. Her coming out year was filled with really consistent play but not a lot of her being able to win against big hitters in big moments. If she doesn't figure out how to dig deep in those moments she's just gong to be another in a now long line of really consistent players with tons of stamina that can't hit hard enough to end a match.

Ivanovic disappointed. Obviously. Enough said.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Impressed: Madison Keys; steady nerves facing some of the heaviest hitters in the game today! Actually out-hit Kvitova and for one set Serena Williams. Showed great determination in saving 8 match points against Williams.

Svitolina; She is one of my up-and-coming future stars. I like her game and her fearlessness.

Bethnie Mattek-Sands; BMS knows her limitations but does not give a damn. It was great seeing her in singles after almost a year off the circuit. That she won the doubles title says much about who she is as a player and as a person. The tour is better with that kind of attitude and wacky clothing.

Venus Williams; because she shows us that you can never be too old, too sick or too nice to be one the games biggest competitors. Go Vee!!

Who did not impress? Makarova- at least bring the gun to the gun fight! She seemed so unprepared during her semi-final match up against a shaky Sharapova. She "pushed" the ball constantly and forgot that she owned a lefty serve. By the time she realized she had weapons, Maria was serving for the match.

AO officials for not seeding Vika. A total fail having Caro and Vika play in the second round.

What can I say about Ivanovic and Petra that has not already been said. Oh I know, "sports psychologist."

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
How about we wait and see how Madison Keys follows up her Australian Open run before we start anointing anything to her? Anyone remember Sloane who made it to the semis of Australia and has yet to do anything significant, and Sloane has just as much game as her.

Ivanovic and Kvitova well...nothing to be said par for course with them.

Vika, I am sure we will see things pick up during the second half of the year.

Good start by Svitolina and Muguruza by taking it to Serena.

Caroline, I am disappointed there wasn't more fight in you in your loss.

I think we saw the potential battle lines for potential future slam contenders in a couple years potentially: Muguruza, Svitolina and Keys.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
sk310 said:
Not sure why you wrote a post all about the men when this is the WTA forum :p

I was impressed by Vika. I think she did what she needed to do for herself. She beat a surging player in a match most predicted she wasn't ready to win. Yes she lost to Domi but Domi is the kind of player that is always dangerous against players with Vika's game. I think it gave her a ton of confidence and she often rides waves of confidence. I want to see her back at the top. I now predict she'll be in the US Open finals.

I was disappointed by Aga. She was really starting to make people think she'd turned a corner. Now I back to thinking she's the second coming of Jakovic.

Keys impressed me but I am not making any hay about her. There have been way too many American girls who have had these false breakthroughs. I hate that people call her the real deal before she's actually put together some consistent week to week and slam to slam results. Time will tell.

Genie impressed me. Sure she still hasn't solved how she can beat Maria or Kvitova but I actually expected her to have more of a letdown after the way she ended last year. The QF is nothing to scoff at. Now the real task is winning some smaller tournaments.

Kvitova let me down. The old plague on her game still hasn't subsided completely.

Halep really let me down. Her coming out year was filled with really consistent play but not a lot of her being able to win against big hitters in big moments. If she doesn't figure out how to dig deep in those moments she's just gong to be another in a now long line of really consistent players with tons of stamina that can't hit hard enough to end a match.

Ivanovic disappointed. Obviously. Enough said.

Haha, sorry. Thought I'd just do it one fell swoop.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will give my 2 cents worth on some of the questions,

Players that disappointed me at this years Australian Open were
Ivanovic? I didnt think she would get to the q/finals etc,but I didnt think she would lose in the first rd of a Grand Slam event either.After making the final at Brisbane,her result shocked me.

Halep What puzzled me about her loss,there wasnt any fight? especially in the 2nd set,I was waiting for her to change things or something? nothing came.In saying that I have seen her do similar things in matches,personally at her ranking Halep and her team better sit down and have a serious discussion quite frankly.I have pegged her to win Roland Garos this year,she has to fight till the end.In todays game it is 80% mental.

Petra? please wake me up when she decided to do anything in a Grand Slam event,other than at Wimbledon,I am over making excuses for her.

I was a bit surprised also with Caroline's loss,she didnt seem to have 'the fight' she normally does,maybe her wrist injury was still a problem.

Players that impressed you,

One of my favorite youngsters Elina Svitolina really took her game to Serena,good positive signs from Elina at the start of the year.

Garbine as well,positive start
Madison Keys,she is still learning to control her ground shots off both wings at times,though I liked what I saw,she has to have one of the best fhands in womens tennis today,that serve will bide her well,though the main thing that impressed me,was how she held her 'nerve in matches' at crucial points,also saving all those MPs in her match against Serena and making her serve the match out.Keep working hard Madison.

Finally yes I was proud and delighted to be able to watch history being made,when my favorite player Serena Williams,achieved her 19th Grand Slam title and her 6th Australian Open title.Serena,is now second-outright in the Open Era...well done Serena.