Pope Francis and the G.O.P.’s Bad Science

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Pope Francis and the G.O.P.’s Bad Science

Michael Specter wrote an interesting Daily Comment for The New Yorker called "Pope Francis and the G.O.P.’s Bad Science"

I had to click on the link after reading the description on the homepage:

"The Pope is now more scientifically literate than the Senate."

I'm an atheist, but I'm finding I really like this new Pope.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
RE: Pope Francis and the G.O.P.’s Bad Science

He is more conciliatory and inclusive when it comes to LGBT communities too.
The guy is trying. The problem is, comparing him to G.O.P is setting the bar reaaalllly low...:snigger

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Religion shouldn't need to be try and become "more inclusive"... "More understanding" - probably.

It's a code of belief, ethics and values - if you don't like it or believe it then don't follow that religion. Simple as. I'd be more wary of a religion that compromises it's values to become more popular to masses than any religion that stays true to it's core values.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

britbox said:
Religion shouldn't need to be try and become "more inclusive"... "More understanding" - probably.

It's a code of belief, ethics and values - if you don't like it or believe it then don't follow that religion. Simple as. I'd be more wary of a religion that compromises it's values to become more popular to masses than any religion that stays true to it's core values.

If the Catholic church hadn't done away with Latin mass, then they wouldn't have become more inclusive ... and would probably be extinct by now. Becoming more inclusive isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it's not mutually exclusive from being more understanding.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

The Church hasn't changed under Francis, but he gets a fairer shake from the media, and his personal style is very engaging. This video shows him at his best:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmLz3SCte8[/video]

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1972Murat said:
The guy is trying. The problem is, comparing him to G.O.P is setting the bar reaaalllly low...:snigger

If I may ask (and I am no Republican and have never voted Republican), what makes the GOP more scientifically illiterate than the Democrats? Because they didn't have a vice president like Al Gore predicting in 2006 that the polar ice caps would melt by 2012? Because there is a minority of people who vote Republican and believe in the scientifically proven reality of gender differences? Because the GOP doesn't sanctimoniously tout a scientific theory (evolution) they know nothing about? Because the GOP hasn't been the primary force behind 30 years of fruitless hundred-million-dollar government research that has tried to find the "gay gene" to prove people are "born that way"?

Why is the GOP scientifically illiterate compared to the party of Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi, each of whom is a great scientist?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:

If I may ask (and I am no Republican and have never voted Republican), what makes the GOP more scientifically illiterate than the Democrats? Because they didn't have a vice president like Al Gore predicting in 2006 that the polar ice caps would melt by 2012? Because there is a minority of people who vote Republican and believe in the scientifically proven reality of gender differences? Because the GOP doesn't sanctimoniously tout a scientific theory (evolution) they know nothing about? Because the GOP hasn't been the primary force behind 30 years of fruitless hundred-million-dollar government research that has tried to find the "gay gene" to prove people are "born that way"?

Why is the GOP scientifically illiterate compared to the party of Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi, each of whom is a great scientist?

You are actually correct. Democrats are as clueless about science as the GOP. Al Gore's science about climate change was and is one of the most blatantly politicized piece of crap science I have ever seen in my life time.

The original post was about the GOP, that's why I said what I said. I would have said the same things for the Democrats.;)

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1972Murat said:
calitennis127 said:
1972Murat said:

You are actually correct. Democrats are as clueless about science as the GOP. Al Gore's science about climate change was and is one of the most blatantly politicized piece of crap science I have ever seen in my life time.

The original post was about the GOP, that's why I said what I said. I would have said the same things for the Democrats.;)

I appreciate your concession.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C World Affairs 8