Political Ideology: More a cause of war and destruction than "religion".....

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I recently found and read three great book reviews related to 20th Century Communism. I thought I would share them. I don't really have to make much of a comment on them right now, as they can certainly speak for themselves.

However, there is one quote in particular from the second review that stands out to me in light of the "religion causes war" line used by so many people nowadays:

"In a dense analysis of how violent terror became a way of life under Lenin and Stalin, Courtois concludes that "the real motivation for the terror ultimately was Leninist ideology, and the perfectly utopian will to impose a doctrine that was completely at odds with reality." This totalizing ideology, Courtois argues, generated murderous intolerance toward all those who were perceived as obstacles to the new regime: "Terror involves a double sort of mutation. The adversary is first labeled an enemy, then a criminal, and is excluded from society. Exclusion very quickly turns into the idea of extermination." That basic outlook, he writes, has been present, "with differing degrees of intensity, in all regimes that claim to be Marxist in origin.""

Why is this significant?

A couple of reasons:
1) Political ideology is inherently anti-religious (anti-Christian specifically in this case since Communism is a Western-originated idea), and it is also very often murderous, sometimes even inherently murderous as in the case of Communism
2) A person governed by religious beliefs could never embrace a political ideology (such as Soviet Communism)
3) When a political ideology is accepted, religious restraints in the minds and consciences of leaders on how power may be abused are eliminated

So when someone points at the French wars of religion in the 17th century or Islamic suicide bombers and says "see, that proves religion is uniquely responsible for war", they are not only cherry-picking just a couple of bad events in human history, they are also ignoring all the times when religion restrained people from war or all the times that absence of religion made war/evil much worse than it would have been otherwise. Lenin would not have perpetrated his horrendous, beyond-evil crimes if he had any religious conscience whatsoever.

Here are the book reviews. They are pretty short. I am interested to hear what everyone has to say about them:

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hpcws/asreview.htm

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hpcws/lelivrenoir.htm

http://www.stanford.edu/group/sreview/Archive/XXIVno1/books.html

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Hey Cali...Just wanted drop by and say hi and also to say that the only good thing that ever came out of religion was/is the music...I really love some of the gospel stuff and the sema ceremonies of the whirling dervishes with the ayin music of sufi islam... Very relaxing. Have you checked them out yet?. I will give a link to an example for that for you... Also , gospel drummers like Teddy Campbell and Aaron Spears are just amazing !

Feel free to skip the talks and go straight to the music. Enjoy.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqCnNv5zbk[/video]

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ah Murat, I'm disappointed! We have even greater music than this, by the masters: Monteverdi, who was a priest, Vivaldi (ditto), Handel, Bach, Mozart, Schubert. Music that's akin to prayer by proxy, when performed well.

As for wars, humans do that. They use any excuse, but really, it's all a part of our condition. It isn't religion causes wars, since people don't even have peace in their own hearts, or in their homes. It's obvious then that this lack of inner peace would soon manifest itself outwardly...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
Ah Murat, I'm disappointed! We have even greater music than this, by the masters: Monteverdi, who was a priest, Vivaldi (ditto), Handel, Bach, Mozart, Schubert. Music that's akin to prayer by proxy, when performed well.

As for wars, humans do that. They use any excuse, but really, it's all a part of our condition. It isn't religion causes wars, since people don't even have peace in their own hearts, or in their homes. It's obvious then that this lack of inner peace would soon manifest itself outwardly...

I did not want to go too deep brother ;). The point was music , or religion inspired music is some of the best in the world. Way too many to cite here...

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I always found it interesting that the number one cause of non-natural death in the 20th century was democide -- systematic mass murder carried out by government. It's hardly surprising, though, considering the sheer brutality of it all. But still, government killed more than both WW1, 2, Korea, Vietnam, Afgahanstian and various others combined. Staggering, honestly.

I'd highly recommend Eric Hobsbawm's The Age of Extremes. Hobsbawm is arguably one of the most prolific and intelligent historians ever, and in this text, he does a great job talking about the diminishment of religion as a pretext for destruction in the 20th century and the role political ideologies began to play to carry out inhumane acts.