P Mac fired by USTA - good riddance

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/sports/tennis/patrick-mcenroe-out-as-usta-player-development-head.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

[Fixed the link.]

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/sports/tennis/patrick-mcenroe-out-as-usta-player-development-head.html?_r=0

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
McEnroe addressed it just now on ESPN. I'm not convinced that one can blame the lack of success on the men's side purely on P-Mac. That would be looking for a scapegoat, in a way. And on the women's side, there is depth and youth, so lest we forget that US Women's tennis is pretty healthy. Why? Because tennis and golf are the most lucrative sports for women, maybe with figure skating. In US sports, for men, tennis is farther down the list. Player development doesn't show results in just a few years.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Here is the problem on the men's side: fitness and backhands. Both are sorely lacking on the men's side. I mean you look at the US men, and while they are fit, they are not on the level of those that are on top of the game. Also, the USTA needs to know when to cut the strings and tell some of these moderately successful players to find a new coach to take their game to the next level. I don't think players are being assessed and nurtured based on their games.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Sundaymorningguy said:
Here is the problem on the men's side: fitness and backhands. Both are sorely lacking on the men's side. I mean you look at the US men, and while they are fit, they are not on the level of those that are on top of the game. Also, the USTA needs to know when to cut the strings and tell some of these moderately successful players to find a new coach to take their game to the next level. I don't think players are being assessed and nurtured based on their games.

I already hit on this subject a couple months ago! It's shocking how weak US men's tennis has been with marginal players like Roddick, Blake, Querry, Isner, Harrison, and all the rest! They never came close or will ever to elite status! That's hardly McEnroe's fault; same with the women without The Williams' on Fed Cup!

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
It's time for the USTA to look toward the inner city youths that gravitate toward basketball, baseball and football, as those are the ones with the hunger.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The funny thing is after firing him, the USTA executive director said "PMac has done
a fantastic job. It is going to be very difficult to replace him". I don't understand why
people need to come up with total bs like that. Just keep quiet if you don't want to
say anything negative, but don't insult intelligence of public.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
The funny thing is after firing him, the USTA executive director said "PMac has done
a fantastic job. It is going to be very difficult to replace him". I don't understand why
people need to come up with total bs like that. Just keep quiet if you don't want to
say anything negative, but don't insult intelligence of public.

They can hire who they like, but if we don't have the players, we still are going to be barely relegated to the WORLD GROUP! :angel: :nono :cool:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Just look at DYjr career.. His entire career has been under PMac's watch.. However,, DYjr's lack of success is his own and his parents but PMac mostly did a poor job mismanaged the whole communication. There definitely needs to be a new voice and direction for the USTA . Hopefully, it can't get any worst. As for PMac.. he can spend more time with his :heart: of the ROG