Open Up with Andre Agassi

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Open-Up-film-poster-215x300.jpg

I searched to see if a thread like this had been made, but the results came up empty. Has anybody seen the Open Up series with Andre Agassi? They're small little short films of Mr. Agassi talking about his past, both on and off the court. They're really informative, well-made, short, sharp, honest, to-the-point, and, most importantly, entertaining to any tennis fan! :D

Here is the first episode where Andre Agassi talks about his epic encounter with Marcos Baghdatis at the US Open. I found it quite moving and touching, especially with how this short little film presented the story:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj6mVNDoe1U[/video]

And instead of flooding this page with YouTube videos, here are the rest:

Season 1 episodes (Playlist on YouTube)

Season 2 episodes (Playlist on YouTube)

Season 3 episodes (Playlist on YouTube)

Screen%20shot%202012-01-09%20at%204.06.42%20PM-thumb-400x224-65597.jpg

They are all pretty short. Only 2-3 minutes per episode, but I'd highly recommend them! I found them extremely insightful, and Agassi has always been a very good storyteller.​

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Agassi always struck me as being a nasty piece of shit, a complete shit stirrer and a cowardly bully who then tries to turn it back on the person he’s messing with. His book is on a thin shelf of great tennis books, and I’m very grateful to our fellow member here @Moxie that I have it, but he’s damaged goods with daddy issues, which he outlines in the book, and seems to repeat in his own behaviour.

His book was ghost written by the ghost writer of Princess Harry’s book Spare, and this is company that I think Agassi would be at home with..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Agassi always struck me as being a nasty piece of shit, a complete shit stirrer and a cowardly bully who then tries to turn it back on the person he’s messing with. His book is on a thin shelf of great tennis books, and I’m very grateful to our fellow member here @Moxie that I have it, but he’s damaged goods with daddy issues, which he outlines in the book, and seems to repeat in his own behaviour.

His book was ghost written by the ghost writer of Princess Harry’s book Spare, and this is company that I think Agassi would be at home with..
Thank God we had Sampras..We didn't deserve Agassi and his mental midget issues

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

You're welcome! In fairness to Agassi, I do think he tells you how bad he was, and that he evolved a lot. I honestly don't think Graf would have him, otherwise.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You're welcome! In fairness to Agassi, I do think he tells you how bad he was, and that he evolved a lot. I honestly don't think Graf would have him, otherwise.
The book came out a year before his ugly display at the Hit for Haiti exhibition with Federer and Nadal. It could be that the Mona Lisa Graf likes bastards… ;)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The book came out a year before his ugly display at the Hit for Haiti exhibition with Federer and Nadal. It could be that the Mona Lisa Graf likes bastards… ;)
Hi Kieran.. What happen with Andre at the Hit for Hati exbo.. ?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Hi Kieran.. What happen with Andre at the Hit for Hati exbo.. ?
You don’t remember the double exo with Rafa and Federer? Federer teamed up with Pete. Agassi at some stage began a snide running joke about Pete being a lousy tipper. It was clearly says with an edge, though slyly passed off as a joke, there was tension in the air, humorously broke by Federer when he said something to Rafa about rivalries.

Andre Agassi apologises for mocking Pete Sampras in charity match

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ah...I forgot to put it together with how much you're a Sampras fan. ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Ah...I forgot to put it together with how much you're a Sampras fan. ;)
It’s an objective reality we’re discussing here. But I loved the book for the reasons I always say, it’s one of few great books on tennis. Highly recommended for fans of the game - including fans of Pete Sampras… ;)

tented

Administrator
Reactions

It’s a strange coincidence you’re mentioning this today, because that ghostwriter just published a piece in the New Yorker about working with Prince Harry and Agassi.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
You don’t remember the double exo with Rafa and Federer? Federer teamed up with Pete. Agassi at some stage began a snide running joke about Pete being a lousy tipper. It was clearly says with an edge, though slyly passed off as a joke, there was tension in the air, humorously broke by Federer when he said something to Rafa about rivalries.

Andre Agassi apologises for mocking Pete Sampras in charity match

I remember watching it live. Rafa and Roger were so uncomfortable because of Agassi’s childishness, and Sampras was plotting ways to kill him. It was awkward even watching it.

Reactions: Moxie and Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s a strange coincidence you’re mentioning this today, because that ghostwriter just published a piece in the New Yorker about working with Prince Harry and Agassi.
Wow, that piece was intense! He says that memoir isn't about the memoirist. That requires some thinking about. He mentions Frank McCourt, and the wonderful Mary Karr. It doesn't seem that he needs to "purge" himself, as Kieran says. He clearly found common ground and empathy with his co-writers/subjects.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Poor bloke, he might need to ghostwrite his own autobiography to purge himself!
He already did. It's called "The Tender Bar." Well-reviewed, and they made it into a movie. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vince Evert Music, TV, Cinema and The Arts 3