NBA 2017-18

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol! DF, even you would surely lose respect for Lebron if this were ever to happen right?

Lol, that'd be nuts and yes that would do nothing for his legacy so I seriously doubt he does that. He could win 5 more rings with Golden State and he wouldn't be any greater in my book.

Reactions: Federberg

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've played plenty of basketball and even if I hadn't it doesn't take an astute observer to realize that a contested catch and shoot 3 is a lot lower percentage than having enough time to drive the ball where a bunch of positive high percentage opportunities can happen.

Then obviously you can't shoot very well and you also never had the ball in your hands at the end of a tight game going up against athletic players.

Sure the paint will be packed and the risk of a turnover is higher but I think any player, let alone a locomotive with freak athleticism like LeBron, would much prefer the opportunity to take it to the hole vs a tough catch and shoot.

He would prefer the opportunity to take it to the hole in general, but that is nearly impossible in tight last second situations. There is little choice but to catch and shoot.

As for game 6 yes LeBron had a tough final two minutes of that game but he scored something like 25 points after halftime in a do or die situation.

We are not talking about that. We are talking about closing games in the last 2-3 minutes as the primary scoring option.

And he's had plenty of clutch plays in the final few minutes of games, that criticism that LeBron isn't clutch was more legit early in his career and people just kept running with it even though it's far from true.

It has a lot of truth to it. LeBron also choked away Game 3 against Golden State last year with that silly pass to Korver. In the last 3 minutes of games as a primary scoring option he repeatedly backs down and/or fails.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Then obviously you can't shoot very well and you also never had the ball in your hands at the end of a tight game going up against athletic players.

He would prefer the opportunity to take it to the hole in general, but that is nearly impossible in tight last second situations. There is little choice but to catch and shoot.

We are not talking about that. We are talking about closing games in the last 2-3 minutes as the primary scoring option.

It has a lot of truth to it. LeBron also choked away Game 3 against Golden State last year with that silly pass to Korver. In the last 3 minutes of games as a primary scoring option he repeatedly backs down and/or fails.

Lol and here's the problem, I give examples showing how wrong you are including that last article that measured clutch stats and you keep spewing the same crap.

And LOL that players rather catch and shoot a contested three instead of driving it to the hole. There are very very few players in NBA history that would prefer the first option and LeBron is certainly not one of them. I'd love to see you coaching players and telling them to let LeBron drive the ball instead of forcing him into a long contested catch and shoot. You'd be shitcanned on the spot.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Some serious trades done by the Cavs. Question is, can they gel before the play offs?

Yeah I've never seen anything quite like this. Can't blame them at all though because in theory they can't play much worse. But with such huge changes it's tough seeing them not struggle at first. And if it gets out of hand they could actually be in danger of missing the playoffs as crazy as that sounds

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
OMG... what a horrendous rendition of the American National Anthem.

She had to be annihilated as that was truly appalling. It was so bad that it was hilarious and for a singer who hasn't been around for awhile I guess bad publicity is better than no publicity. The players' reactions are priceless especially Draymond Green's.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She had to be annihilated as that was truly appalling. It was so bad that it was hilarious and for a singer who hasn't been around for awhile I guess bad publicity is better than no publicity. The players' reactions are priceless especially Draymond Green's.
Lol. Very muted applause at the end.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OKC can definitely beat Golden State and would be the favorites in my mind if they played head-to-head in the playoffs. No way Westbrook will lose to Durant if he is healthy and Melo and PG are healthy. He plays above his normal outstanding level against Golden State and having Melo and PG should be more than enough to push him over the top.

I'm sure you don't rate him highly since he's offensively challenged and you probably don't watch this team on a game-to-game basis, but OKC just aren't the same without Andre Roberson, and yes I'm 100% serious. Yes, they did beat GSW the second time without him, and hell, might even beat them a third time this week (I sure hope so). But in general, their defense just isn't the same without him. In Roberson and George, they had by far the best combination of perimeter defenders in the league. The length, athleticism, and defensive awareness they provided was insane. It made them match-up great with teams like GSW and the Rockets. Plus, Roberson, like Adams (who you also didn't rate highly 2 years ago, which is nuts), is their defensive glue guy. It's not just what he does individually, but he's the guy communicating and leading their defense as a unit. They have a serious problem at the shooting guard position now as Ferguson is still a rookie and has played like shit, Abrines can't guard anyone (and they don't even get him shots down the other end which makes him useless) and Huestis, who in theory is the closest to Roberson, hasn't filled his shoes. The fact that they were inactive at the trade deadline was a big surprise as they haven't sorted out their problem at that position. By all metrics, OKC are actually the top defensive team in the league with Roberson on the floor, and outside the top 10 when he's off. That says everything right there.

Plus, Donovan had actually found a way to use Roberson effectively on offense. He no longer stands around the perimeter to completely kill their spacing since the defense just ignores him and he can't make a jumper to save his life. He turned into a slasher, cutter, screen setter and board crasher, thus allowing George and Melo to space the floor themselves. Their offense, ironically, is much better when he's on the floor.

The good news is there's enough time until the playoffs for them to figure things out without him. And if this notion seems laughable to anyone, check OKC's record with Roberson and check their record without him. They were actually undefeated with him in the lineup since December 1st up until his injury (insane), and have lost 5 times since (to only 3 wins).

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm sure you don't rate him highly since he's offensively challenged and you probably don't watch this team on a game-to-game basis, but OKC just aren't the same without Andre Roberson, and yes I'm 100% serious. Yes, they did beat GSW the second time without him, and hell, might even beat them a third time this week (I sure hope so). But in general, their defense just isn't the same without him. In Roberson and George, they had by far the best combination of perimeter defenders in the league. The length, athleticism, and defensive awareness they provided was insane. It made them match-up great with teams like GSW and the Rockets. Plus, Roberson, like Adams (who you also didn't rate highly 2 years ago, which is nuts), is their defensive glue guy. It's not just what he does individually, but he's the guy communicating and leading their defense as a unit. They have a serious problem at the shooting guard position now as Ferguson is still a rookie and has played like shit, Abrines can't guard anyone (and they don't even get him shots down the other end which makes him useless) and Huestis, who in theory is the closest to Roberson, hasn't filled his shoes. The fact that they were inactive at the trade deadline was a big surprise as they haven't sorted out their problem at that position. By all metrics, OKC are actually the top defensive team in the league with Roberson on the floor, and outside the top 10 when he's off. That says everything right there.

Plus, Donovan had actually found a way to use Roberson effectively on offense. He no longer stands around the perimeter to completely kill their spacing since the defense just ignores him and he can't make a jumper to save his life. He turned into a slasher, cutter, screen setter and board crasher, thus allowing George and Melo to space the floor themselves. Their offense, ironically, is much better when he's on the floor.

The good news is there's enough time until the playoffs for them to figure things out without him. And if this notion seems laughable to anyone, check OKC's record with Roberson and check their record without him. They were actually undefeated with him in the lineup since December up until his injury (insane), and have lost 5 times since (to only 3 wins).

Interesting. Have to say I'm surprised Roberson has had that much impact. But as much as Cali is excited for OKC vs GSW I don't see a competitive series in the playoffs. Golden State is coasting to 65 wins...coasting. The only way there is a mildly close series is if Houston beats them out for HCA or if Durant or Curry are out or at least banged up.

The East should be more interesting. Cleveland will be a 3 seed at best and it is still going to take time to gel. I'd still bet on LeBron and a group of high schoolers to take the East but it should be tougher this year.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Boston have slumped something awful though. Has anyone noticed?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah but they should never have been doing that well. They have had a ridiculous amount of comeback wins. Stevens is an excellent coach but I think he needs to realize that a team that plays defense with playoff intensity during the regular season is going to get gassed and if they don't rest/coast now they will be shredded in the playoffs. Playing weak defense these next 20+ games will actually be good for their chances in the playoffs and the good news is they are unlikely to drop from a top 2 seed even if they play bad.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah but they should never have been doing that well. They have had a ridiculous amount of comeback wins. Stevens is an excellent coach but I think he needs to realize that a team that plays defense with playoff intensity during the regular season is going to get gassed and if they don't rest/coast now they will be shredded in the playoffs. Playing weak defense these next 20+ games will actually be good for their chances in the playoffs and the good news is they are unlikely to drop from a top 2 seed even if they play bad.

I hear Hayward is basically rehabbing now. He might get there in time for the playoffs. Kyrie can't do all the scoring himself

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I doubt Hayward comes back this year and if he does I can't see him being that effective. If they are to win the East it has to be due to defense and mainly due to the LeBron's not gelling.

Personally I think he can beat Boston and Toronto by himself if he needs to. GSW beats him because Durant and Curry combined are greater than him and then you have Klay, Dratmond, and a great bench. Looking at the other contenders I would rather have LeBron than Harden and CP3 combined and in the East I'd probably take him in the playoffs over the best 3 players combined on any of those teams. I know...weird way of looking at a playoff matchup but think of it, would Cleveland and Boston rather have LeBron in a series or the trio of Kyrie, Brown, and Horford? Easy call IMO. Play that same game with all the playoff teams except in the West switch it to top two players and GSW is the only team that wins it. Regardless of playoff seeding I don't see much different this year, he's dragged far worse teams to the finals.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Is it really credible to say KD is a better player than Steph if that team seems to be half as good when Curry isn't playing? I don't get it. Any other team sport it simply wouldn't add up

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Steph is a better player on the Warriors. He's more valuable to them. Hell, I think the same would be true if you put LeBron on there instead of Curry. Steph is the perfect player for that team and they of course have many years of chemistry.

Now if I'm picking between KD and Curry and I don't know the team I'm taking KD by a hair. I still think he's the best scorer the league has seen since MJ. Ironically it may end up being Steph that's considered the greater player because of that dynamic and that's why KD may not have done himself any favors going to GSW. I'm glad he's there instead of Boston otherwise that damn city would have two dominant sports teams.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is it really credible to say KD is a better player than Steph if that team seems to be half as good when Curry isn't playing? I don't get it. Any other team sport it simply wouldn't add up

It's a fair question but basketball works uniquely. For the Warriors' system, Curry is more essential. He's pretty much the most important piece of their pacy offense, highlighted by giving up the ball early, running around screens, forcing the defense to try and shadow him off the ball because they know they can't allow him an open 3. It pretty much sets up the Warriors' entire offense and makes other things possible. He was there before Durant ever joined too, so their offense was built around him.

But who's the better player between the two? No team in the NBA is seriously going to prefer having Curry over Durant (except maybe the Warriors, ironically), especially when you take defense into account. In other terms, if you're starting a team from scratch, and you're drafting your first player without knowing who else will be on the team, everyone is taking Durant over Curry 10 times out of 10.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to say that this is the most excited I've been for the NBA playoffs in quite some time. Definitely the most suspense there has been in both conferences over the last few seasons and there are a lot of seeds still in play the last week of the regular season.

As a Bucks fan I'm hoping they snag the 6th seed and Philly gets the 3rd instead of the Lebrons. Philly without Embiid is still hot but they'd be the best option. On a side note I think that Ben Simmons is going to end up one of the greatest of all-time. The comparison to LeBron is natural, while he probably won't be quite that good he will be a monster and very soon.

I think Houston has a legit shot against the Warriors even if Steph comes back fairly healthy. I still think LeBron will beat the East.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fiero425 Other Sports 0
J Other Sports 31
kskate2 Other Sports 242
kskate2 Other Sports 229
DarthFed Other Sports 15