Movies you like but everyone else thinks are crap

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Like turkey? Don't feel alone. This is the thread for you to list turkeys that you liked but everyone else thought was garbage.

I'll start with Click.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
I quite liked Click myself. Very sappy, at times, and very conventional, but still one of Sandler's better films.

A lot of people were tiresomely bored with Gus Van Sant's Gerry, but I thought it was a masterwork. A mediative, beautifully photographed film that stayed with me for days. I also loved Only God Forgives - Refn's follow-up to Drive that had a very indifferent reception upon its premiere.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Deep Impact

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkfk4dCnu8[/video]

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I liked Click and Mars Attacks! Click has a nice it's a wonderful life vibe.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:

Didn't know that many people hated Troy. Good movie for sure even though it differed greatly from the Iliad.

Trying to think of some more recent ones. I'd say Derailed and Body of Lies. I don't think the latter was one people thought was crap but I remember liking it a heck of a lot more than most people.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess I can jump in and say that I liked Clash of the Titans, which most critics and folks of the time thought was campy, cheesy and low-budget garbage. Even so, I found it funny and entertaining. It is better received by people now than back then though, I must say. It has become an almost cult film for some, which is fine with me.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
I guess I can jump in and say that I liked Clash of the Titans, which most critics and folks of the time thought was campy, cheesy and low-budget garbage. Even so, I found it funny and entertaining. It is better received by people now than back then though, I must say. It has become an almost cult film for some, which is fine with me.

I've always liked it, too, Shawn, so you're not alone! :)

It is campy and cheesy -- the perfect words -- but fun. I do wonder how much they paid Olivier to be in it. That was around the same time Brando had a small part in Superman.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I don't know how many people think it was crap, but it's one of Spielberg's least successful films (for example, it's not even out on Blu-Ray): Munich.

I watched it again on cable the other day, and loved it even more than the first time. Great cast (Eric Bana, Ciaran Hinds, Michael Lonsdale, Mathieu Amalric, Daniel Craig, etc.), exciting story (especially since it's based on true events), and really good cinematography.

Did any of you like it?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Godfather 3.

Leave me alone, I liked it! :mad:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Godfather 3.

I did too, Kieran, although not as much as the first two. Really, how could anything match up to those first two outings which grown into legendary status by the time the third was discussed? It wa a tall order, yet, I think Coppolla succeeded in large part. I liked it from the standpoint of redemptive suffering, of seeking reconciliation with God and family, but still having the pay the consequences of choices poorly made so many years ago. I liked the return to Italy like Vito did in Godfather II, the confession and penance by a man who never CHOSE the life, but had it thrust upon him after the failed attempt on his father's life. Michael is a tragically flawed figure, in all its Classical Greek splendor. So, the storyline I liked, but Coppolla's daughter and Andy Garcia and that bit between them was garbage.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Kieran said:
Godfather 3.

I did too, Kieran, although not as much as the first two. Really, how could anything match up to those first two outings which grown into legendary status by the time the third was discussed? It wa a tall order, yet, I think Coppolla succeeded in large part. I liked it from the standpoint of redemptive suffering, of seeking reconciliation with God and family, but still having the pay the consequences of choices poorly made so many years ago. I liked the return to Italy like Vito did in Godfather II, the confession and penance by a man who never CHOSE the life, but had it thrust upon him after the failed attempt on his father's life. Michael is a tragically flawed figure, in all its Classical Greek splendor. So, the storyline I liked, but Coppolla's daughter and Andy Garcia and that bit between them was garbage.

In that vein, and as a collector of great first scenes and great last scenes…it has a fantastic end scene. For all it's operatic nonsense, it ends with Michael, starkly, alone. It was an impactful way to end the trilogy, and that scene stays with me.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Precisely, Moxie--that is what I am talking about. Unlike his father, who died with an extension of his family whilst playing in the tomato garden, Michael is all alone in a land into which he was not born, but lives within him through his parents. A dog replaces the grandson from Vito's scene in the first film.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
shawnbm said:
Kieran said:
Godfather 3.

In that vein, and as a collector of great first scenes and great last scenes…it has a fantastic end scene. For all it's operatic nonsense, it ends with Michael, starkly, alone. It was an impactful way to end the trilogy, and that scene stays with me.

All the Godfather movies have a lot of operatic nonsense, though, it's part of Coppola's charisma, to make these guys out to be less seamy than they are. Goodfellas blew the gaff on all these portrayals of the mafia as family men in the parlor who stroke kittens on a chaise-longue. But I agree, it's not so potent a flick as the first two - he repeats himself somewhat. I enjoyed it, though - and I even thought his daughter did well in her role. She got huge stick. Andy Garcia is the wooden actor in this, for me. He has one expression throughout and he never reaches the depths of intensity that guys like Pacino and deNiro managed in the earlier films.

But that film is a guilty pleasure of mine! :p

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Snakes on the plane. I recalled I was attending a team conference in Dallas , one of my co-workers made the suggestion to go check it out. Yeah , it wasn't something that would draw a huge box office but it had Mr box office all-time best Samuel L. Jackson. Who could ever forget his line, I am fed up with this @# snakes !