Mountain Climbing

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Any posters into mountain climbing?

It's not one of my pastimes - the highest mountain I've climbed in Snowdon (largest mountain in England and Wales) and pretty much an above average walk for the average person.

However, I've been watching some amazing vids of expedition teams climbing Everest and more particularly K2.

K2 - You have a one in four chance of dying!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
k2 didn't happen but we climbed Snowdon..up via the easier miners track in 1980..and down via the nightmare pyg track, same year had a lovely trip to the top of Snowdon on the chuff chuff train too (let the train take the strain).

in 1978 we claimed the breacon beacons, 1979 climbed ben nevis..scarfell pike in the lake district was amazing too. biggest mountain we went up was the Jungfrau in Switzerland in 1988 (no little Federer to be seen)..but we used the mountain train ,so it does not really count as climbing.

locally me and my dad went onto cleeve hill a lot when I was small, not so high at 1'083ft (I think) but lovely views and walks up there.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I took my kids to Snowdon - we were going to go up on the train (my father in law suggested it), but the trains were booked out for the day, so we just decided to start the climb (kids were only 6 & 8 at the time) but we ended up going all the way. It's more of a long walk if you take the traditional route, but still a good day out. I believe there are much tougher routes to the top than the one we took.

Brecon Beacons are smaller but definitely grimmer. The SAS and Paras used to train on those.

Couple of my mates did a sponsored climb on Kiliminjaro but one had to come down early because he was hallucinating with altitude sickness.

Anyway, I'm fascinated by the nutters who do the real big climbs - K2, Annapurna, Everest etc...

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
When I was younger I was able to climb little hills in the area where I was born but nothing special. As I grew older, I was having a harder time with climbing up, I can still walk quite long distances when we do our sightseeing, but take elevators and cable cars for anything up hill.:D

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
11 out of 20 dead.

everything seemed perfect but then it all went wrong.

they died on a sunny day.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good docu on K2... the mountain of mountains for the best climbers. Tougher, more unpredictable and deadlier than Everest,