MLB Play-offs

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Boston goes up 2-1 on the Tigers in Detroit. Fantastic come-back from the Red Sox on Sunday, and fantastic pitching from Boston tonight to protect the 1 run lead. Go Sox!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't follow it much but when a team blows a 5-1 lead in the 8th in what would have been total command of the series that just screams of there being at least a 1 game hangover. That grand slam might have won them 2-3 games (remains to be seen). Boston has a good opportunity to run away with it now. Hoping for anyone except St. Louis.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed that the Grand Slam tying and walk-off homer are energizing for the winning team, and a big blow for the loser, and probably paid off at least tonight. Big psychological lead. How come anyone except St. Louis? I'm American League, myself, so I don't really root for any NL teams, except Washington and the Mets.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not that I care that much about the Brewers, especially with their harboring the shameless bitch Braun, but the Cards are their most hated rival and always have beaten up on them.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So I'm guessing that means you're a Milwaukee fan, as much as any? Can you see it in your heart to root for the Red Sox, then? :angel:.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, Wisconsin sports fan but baseball is down on the list. Packers 1-9 and then Badgers and Bucks fight for 10th spot if that makes sense. Red Sox have won enough, I wouldn't mind seeing the Dodgers but I'm mostly indifferent. Surprised you don't like the Yanks??

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's hard to say the Red Sox have won 'enough,' with one World Series win in the last 94 years. :s My dad is a New Englander, and life-long Sox fan. We enjoyed a pretend rivalry during all my years in NYC, up and through that fantastic playoff series in 2004. I realized then that I wanted my dad to get the reward of the long-suffering fan more than I cared about local pride. (And the Yankees HAD won 'enough.') Now I proudly root for the Red Sox. Oddly, I do root for the Yanks, too, except against Boston. I love Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, and some of the other guys, though most of my favorite Yankees are retiring, or on the brink of. I love baseball more than football; baseball is intense in this part of the country. The Yanks v. Red Sox rivalry is considered one of the greatest in sports, of course.

FYI: I have a nephew who is a Green Bay fan, so I do always hope they do well. My personal NFL teams are Redskins, Saints and Pats, pretty much in that order.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
It's hard to say the Red Sox have won 'enough,' with one World Series win in the last 94 years. :s My dad is a New Englander, and life-long Sox fan. We enjoyed a pretend rivalry during all my years in NYC, up and through that fantastic playoff series in 2004. I realized then that I wanted my dad to get the reward of the long-suffering fan more than I cared about local pride. (And the Yankees HAD won 'enough.') Now I proudly root for the Red Sox. Oddly, I do root for the Yanks, too, except against Boston. I love Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, and some of the other guys, though most of my favorite Yankees are retiring, or on the brink of. I love baseball more than football; baseball is intense in this part of the country. The Yanks v. Red Sox rivalry is considered one of the greatest in sports, of course.

FYI: I have a nephew who is a Green Bay fan, so I do always hope they do well. My personal NFL teams are Redskins, Saints and Pats, pretty much in that order.

They won two in the past 10 years, 04 and maybe 06 or 07? One of the many things to dislike about baseball is the salary cap structure. Very tough to have a powerhouse team for a small market city. You see teams like the Brewers, Twins, Devil Rays, etc. have a good year or two every now and then but without the big stack to throw around (like NY, Boston, etc.) it is tough sledding.

I hate the Pats with a passion. All credit to Billy boy and Brady, they are two of the best the NFL has had but I was sick of them even before Spygate and their interesting philosophy of stat-padding/running up the score.

New Orleans is looking very good this year despite the ugly finish this past Sunday. They have a legit defense and the offense is of course very good. The Skins are done this year, the question is whether RG3 will ever be the same.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Most of that is above my level of delving into either sport, but I'm glad to hear the Saints are doing well. :)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Twice. In 2004 and 2007. Although I am not American, this is the only American sport I really enjoy watching. Great game. Fan of the Red Sox btw.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sox take the opening game of the Fall Classic over the Cards.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was glad to see Boston take game one, and would have been even happier to see them win the next three. The Cards are a very good team.

This long-suffering Phillies fan, would be thrilled to see the Red Sox win Championships as often as possible and keep old Babe Ruth rolling in his grave.

(I like the Yankees about as much as I like Roger.)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sox need one more game with the win last night in St Louis.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yes. Lester put on a clinic for the 2nd time this series. Both times he's pitched, the Cards could only muster 1 run the entire game. We'll see how STL repsonds on Wed night. I'm thinking the Sox close this one out even if they have to parade the entire bullpen out there one inning at a time.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Red Sox win! Big Papi MVP…much deserved. The new Mr. October.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The Bambino's curse seems to have been sufficiently broken. The Sox clinch their first world series at home since 1918. Much rejoicing in New England.