Mayweather v McGregor

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anyone buying into this garbage?

The biggest question mark for me is if McGregor can win one round.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol! If McGregor can get around I'll be seriously impressed. This is a joke. More circus than a real fight. And serious disrespect to the sport of boxing. FFS the idea that people are saying that because Connor is bigger than Floyd he might have more punch power, or will be able to handle Floyd even with his brittle hands just shows how much the public doesn't know about boxing these days. It's so depressing. Of course there are morons like Skip Bayless spouting his poison. It was bad enough his going on about Pacquiao actually winning that fight but this? This!? Jeepers... I reckon Floyd gets him with some body punches in the early rounds and then proceeds to torture him until the McGregor corner throws in the towel. It won't be pretty

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
nut job that I am, I ended up paying for this. Hope it's worth it! Connor just walking to the ring. Looks serious..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
For the record and posterity. My thinking has been for Mayweather in round 6. Let's see what happens. 2nd round just finished

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Taking longer than I thought, but Connor has no energy left. Just arm shots. No power now. Floyd is just having fun, walking him down and hitting him at will. Round 8 over, I think Floyd takes him in the next 1 or 2 rounds

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Connor's got a good chin, but he's literally hanging on for dear life. Round 10 to come

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
And it's over. Not the most entertaining fight. People were fools to expect anything else. Floyd took him to deep round and drowned him. This is boxing baby! You can't have your first fight against a top boxer. Just the expenditure of mental energy trying to cope is exhausting. This was more to do with exhaustion than Floyd's power of course. But the ref had to stop it. Last few rounds were a beatdown and could have become dangerous

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Not a bad first pro bout by McGregor in fairness.

I wasn't too impressed mate. Floyd clearly let him have the early rounds. He just forced Connor to go for it and tire himself out. Mayweather cares less about entertaining the fans than ensuring he employs the best strategy to win. I can only imagine what a fighter like Canelo would have done to Connor. I can't imagine McGregor would have been upright after 3 rounds. Kudos to Connor... heck he doesn't need plaudits from me, he just got PAID! But Floyd let him look good... He should never box again though

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wasn't too impressed mate. Floyd clearly let him have the early rounds. He just forced Connor to go for it and tire himself out. Mayweather cares less about entertaining the fans than ensuring he employs the best strategy to win. I can only imagine what a fighter like Canelo would have done to Connor. I can't imagine McGregor would have been upright after 3 rounds. Kudos to Connor... heck he doesn't need plaudits from me, he just got PAID! But Floyd let him look good... He should never box again though

The result should never be in doubt but considering it was his first ever fight, McGregor didn't look stupid out there... even if there was a clear gameplan by Floyd to let him blow himself out in the early rounds.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Lol! If McGregor can get around I'll be seriously impressed. This is a joke. More circus than a real fight. And serious disrespect to the sport of boxing. FFS the idea that people are saying that because Connor is bigger than Floyd he might have more punch power, or will be able to handle Floyd even with his brittle hands just shows how much the public doesn't know about boxing these days. It's so depressing. Of course there are morons like Skip Bayless spouting his poison. It was bad enough his going on about Pacquiao actually winning that fight but this? This!? Jeepers... I reckon Floyd gets him with some body punches in the early rounds and then proceeds to torture him until the McGregor corner throws in the towel. It won't be pretty
Truer words have never been spoken. :good:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
The result should never be in doubt but considering it was his first ever fight, McGregor didn't look stupid out there... even if there was a clear gameplan by Floyd to let him blow himself out in the early rounds.

The point I'm trying to make is that Floyd's style actually made Connor look better than he is. If he tried to continue his boxing career he would be seriously exposed by a Canelo or GGG. So yes, Connor looked ok, but only because he was allowed to. If he fought with someone who didn't have to worry about brittle hands it would be ugly. It's clear that Connor doesn't have banger power in the context of boxing, that would be the only thing that could justify his staying in boxing

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The point I'm trying to make is that Floyd's style actually made Connor look better than he is. If he tried to continue his boxing career he would be seriously exposed by a Canelo or GGG. So yes, Connor looked ok, but only because he was allowed to. If he fought with someone who didn't have to worry about brittle hands it would be ugly. It's clear that Connor doesn't have banger power in the context of boxing, that would be the only thing that could justify his staying in boxing

Agreed but your first bout is usually a three rounder, not a full distance fight against the best of the era!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed but your first bout is usually a three rounder, not a full distance fight against the best of the era!

Yes exactly. So we really don't know how well Connor would do under normal circumstances. What we had here is unique. Floyd had to protect his brand, not just 50 - 0, but Mayweather Productions. That's the next part of his life. So the conditions were perfect for Connor to look good. But even then, having watched the thing I wasn't impressed. Any number of no name boxers could have taken him out. This is why Connor was never going to have lead up fights. This was a one time opportunity for Floyd, Connor and Dana White to make crazy money. Good luck to them

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 83