Masha calls a career

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
according to l'Equipe, Masha announced her retirement. good luck Masha, be happy

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not surprised,I said earlier this year that she will retire.
you may be a modern day soothsayer with your predictions.. Congratulations

Can you make the same prediction with Ricardo and BS...? I know I would appreciate it

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
you may be a modern day soothsayer with your predictions.. Congratulations

Can you make the same prediction with Ricardo and BS...? I know I would appreciate it

Do you really think she was going to keep playing with a ranking of 366 in the world lol!.....other people I know said the same thing.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Do you really think she was going to keep playing with a ranking of 366 in the world lol!.....other people I know said the same thing.
Huh..? I don't understand what you are saying..all I did was acknowledge that your prediction was correct..I NEVER have made any statement in regards to her playing career..I NEVER cared for her game but liked the way she moped over the non Serena scrubs ..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Huh..? I don't understand what you are saying..all I did was acknowledge that your prediction was correct..I NEVER have made any statement in regards to her playing career..I NEVER cared for her game but liked the way she moped over the non Serena scrubs ..

After she received a WC into the AO this year,and lost in the first rd,her ranking plummeted to No 366 in the world,she could have recieved WC into the majors,being a past champion,though she would have had to reply on or received WC into other tournaments,or with that ranking would have to play qualifers.,which I could not see her playing,her continued shoulder problems really was the main reason she had to retire.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
After she received a WC into the AO this year,and lost in the first rd,her ranking plummeted to No 366 in the world,she could have recieved WC into the majors,being a past champion,though she would have had to reply on or received WC into other tournaments,or with that ranking would have to play qualifers.,which I could not see her playing,her continued shoulder problems really was the main reason she had to retire.
I am with Fronty on this one..no Meldonium no Marsha

Reactions: tossip

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sharapova I never warmed up to, but she seemingly turned out to get the most out of her strengths to which I gave her grudging respect.

Ironically the one thing I admired her for was working on her stamina and endurance, because the early knock on Sharapova was that if you ran her ragged she would wilt. The Meldonium reveal sort of took the bloom out of that rose.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sharapova I never warmed up to, but she seemingly turned out to get the most out of her strengths to which I gave her grudging respect.

Ironically the one thing I admired her for was working on her stamina and endurance, because the early knock on Sharapova was that if you ran her ragged she would wilt. The Meldonium reveal sort of took the bloom out of that rose.
I got to check with Front to see if I can get my doctor's prescriptions for some Meldonium..I hope it doesn't affect my ability to as Front says"s drop my load or shoot it all over ..."... jajaja..that was a gem by Front.. priceless. Jajaja

Reactions: tossip

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I never thought it was stamina and endurance, but real mental toughness. Now, maybe I'm wrong, and it was fake endurance. But, watching a lot of those matches, I did think she was also tough. I'm not especially sad to see her go, but I did think she was a fighter, and not just because she may have had a drug edge.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I never thought it was stamina and endurance, but real mental toughness. Now, maybe I'm wrong, and it was fake endurance. But, watching a lot of those matches, I did think she was also tough. I'm not especially sad to see her go, but I did think she was a fighter, and not just because she may have had a drug edge.

She always she had the mental toughness, but it was a laser focus in just hitting out even in pressure situations. However earlier in her career she would get winded in drawn out matches, so the stamina seemed an issue. She would spray the ball because her footwork would get sloppy when she was fatigued. Later in her career, case in Point the Halep match in the finals of the of FO she hung tough physically. It’s clear to me now Sharapova was doping for that extra umph.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
That cheater was on PEDS since she was a junior. It helped physically and mentally. She didn’t improve her endurance with age, but rather foot speed/movement with proper training. I’m happy to see her gone. She’s not likable at all.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
NY times had an article reporting on this news titled "Masha insists she is not quitting and she is just retiring". To me, it is very clear that she was forced to quit. She did not leave on her own terms.

While Meldopova never explicitly stated, I had the feeling that she wanted to win one Big Trophy (i.e., even if not a GS, at least a premier mandatory or something close) before calling it quits (at least to prove that all her wins are not attributable to Meldonium). But, finally she realized that it won't happen and therefore quit. I agree that she made the right call.

However, it has to be admitted that she did not go out on her own terms.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
She should have announced her retirement instead of admitting PED use back when she got caught. With all her money, she could have donated a million or two to keep the drug test results under wraps. Dumb decision. What I dislike about her the most is her values. Did she do charity work? She could have made a difference in the lives of others with all that money like Gates or Fed. Instead she runs a candy company. Good riddance.