Madison Keys Ends Coaching Agreement With Mats Wilander After Eight Days

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Eight days after former World No.1 Mats Wilander announced that he will start coaching American talent Madison Keys, the Swede has found himself flying back home.

It is unclear as to why the partnership has ended so abruptly. Wilander has a wide range of coaching experience after previously working with Marat Safin, Paul-Henri Mathieu and Tatiana Golovin.

Full story:

http://www.ubitennis.net/blog/2016/...greement-with-mats-wilander-after-eight-days/

MADISON KEYS
by NAPARAZZI, on Flickr

He didn't even last as long as Jimmy Connors with Maria Sharapova!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Sometimes these young players seem to think that they're going to get instant results. To have a coach for that short period of time doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if the coach could've helped her, he'll never get the chance to.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sometimes these young players seem to think that they're going to get instant results. To have a coach for that short period of time doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if the coach could've helped her, he'll never get the chance to.

Fair point, although we don't know the circumstances of the split - maybe contractual? or possibly they just didn't gel (quick decision if that was the reason)... I remember Maria Sharapova having a really short spell with Jimmy Connors - I think that was a personality clash.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Fair point, although we don't know the circumstances of the split - maybe contractual? or possibly they just didn't gel (quick decision if that was the reason)... I remember Maria Sharapova having a really short spell with Jimmy Connors - I think that was a personality clash.

Could be, but there's been a rash of coaching changes on the WTA in the last six months, so much so that these women are starting to look unstable to me. It's one thing for a situation not to work out, but how will you know if you don't give it a chance?