Lendl vs McEnroe - 1984 French Open Final

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Three versions available of this most, epic final.

and there's the official no commentary video...

Reactions: tented

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I remember waking up in the middle of the 2nd set! There was no reason to believe John couldn't finish off Lendl after winning 2nd set! He was still flying high using his new over-sized racket! Lendl looked dejected & seemed to be letting it go down a break in the 3rd! John got distracted by the photographers and slowly went off the rails! He dropped the 3rd & 4th set, but they were still close! Somehow Lendl wore him down and I can remember John missing a FH volley wide allowing Ivan his 1st Major win after dropping a few to McEnroe, Borg, & Connors! Ivan said that match almost killed him! He dropped quite a few finals to McEnroe afterwards until a break-thru at '85 USO! That turned the tide and their rivalry was never the same! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I remember waking up in the middle of the 2nd set! There was no reason to believe John couldn't finish off Lendl after winning 2nd set! He was still flying high using his new over-sized racket! Lendl looked dejected & seemed to be letting it go down a break in the 3rd! John got distracted by the photographers and slowly went off the rails! He dropped the 3rd & 4th set, but they were still close! Somehow Lendl wore him down and I can remember John missing a FH volley wide allowing Ivan his 1st Major win after dropping a few to McEnroe, Borg, & Connors! Ivan said that match almost killed him! He dropped quite a few finals to McEnroe afterwards until a break-thru at '85 USO! That turned the tide and their rivalry was never the same! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Very good memory you have there except the break of serve was in the fourth set where McEnroe led 4-2.

I think that also Lendl changed his game as the match got longer such as use of lobs , cross-court backhanded passing shots and by coming to the net more.
To this day it's still the best ever French Open final, certainly among the men's singles, IMHO !

Reactions: Fiero425